Ok, got a big problem. Got this older computer, Phillips PC Plus, I do know it has a 4.5 hd and 256 stick of ram, had ME on it. When I get it home, plug it in and power up, only thing on screen is me startup menu. If I choose safe mode, or any mode for that matter, I get the following:

The following file is missing or corrupted: C:\WINDOWS\IFSHLP.SYS

The following file is missing or corrupted: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VMM32.VXD

Type the name of the Windows loadr (e.g., C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VMM32.VXD)

C>.

I would liked to have run D ban and wiped the hd and installed kubuntu, or similiar, but I cant even access the bios right now. None of the prompts to access the bios works. HELP!!! I should ad, I THINK, the previous owner tried to wipe me or reinstall, A very scratched me disc was in the cd tray and I was told they had tried to repair. So I don.t have the full history. Im just assuming this thing is very corrupt as far as the os.

Edited by HeavyJ

Have you tried installing Kubuntu? The bios may already be set to boot from a cdrom first. Even if the bios is set to boot from the hard drive first, you may be able to get around this. The following worked for me on a computer that was locked down with a bios password. I was not able to change the boot order to cdrom first. First I pulled out the hard drive and put it in a different computer. With the other computer I deleted all the partitions off the hard drive. Lastly I put the hard drive back in the computer. Now the next time I tried to boot the computer, it saw no partitions were on the hard drive so it booted from the next device, the cdrom. I am not sure if all bios will behave this way.

Ok, got it working, took out the cmos battery for a couple days, took out the HD, left it unplugged, got busy on another project, put the HD in another computer and run Dban to wipe it. Installed windows and all I need now is an ethernet card and it will be working again. Put a new HD in this computer, reinstalled XP, but my bookmark backups for firefox wont load. They are in a Json file, and I backed them up on a floppy, but going to bookmarks, organize bookmarks, import and backup, restore, then choosing the file, nothing happens. And I cant find a way to convert them to HTML to try that. Guess the old way that worked well for years wasnt good enough. :angry:

Well, from googling the subject, I think alot of people are having the problem, firefox made a problem where one didnt exist. I guess I have lost my bookmarks. I cant seem to find a way to convert the json file to html either. :blink: