Can You Chain Link Routers?

I have a router that I currently have hooked up to two computers.....one is upstairs and one is downstairs.

The router is downstairs. Now......I have a laptop, too and I would like to hook that up every so often and I really

don't want to run another cable upstairs if I don't have to. I have another 4 port router that I'm not using.....can I take the cable that was running from the router to my upstairs computer and put that as the input to the 2nd router and then run a cable from the 2nd router to my upstairs desktop computer and another to my laptop?

Yes. But not w/o some jerry riggin.

Having two routers could make troubleshooting a network problem a real pain in the arse. You'd be much better off going wireless as far as the laptop is concerned.

Do either of the routers have an "Uplink" port?

If not, try this tutorial:

http://www.ehow.com/how_2308102_uplink-rou...one-access.html

To keep all of your computers on the same network(subnet?), you will want to run your upstairs router in "switch" mode. Your router downstairs router will assign ip addresses and do NAT, then the upstairs router will just act as a basic switch(splitter).

As to running your router in switch mode, you should have an option in the web interface. I think disabling the DHCP server may have the same effect. You may have to change some other settings in the router also.

edit added later//

If you are not able to get the router to work as a switch, you can always just get an inexpensive switch for about $15 new.