/dev/cdrom Problem

hey guys,

I'm not sure if this is a new problem or one that existed since I installed MDK 10.1 because I only recently started using k3b alot to back up some big files.

The problem is, using k3b, I burn a data cd, then try to burn another and it errors out because the drive is still mounted from the last burn...Even ejecting the cd and putting a new one in and viewing files on it doesn't seem to work.

I tried umounting the drive manually and get:

[root@Taylor1 tictoc5150]# umount /dev/hdc

umount: /mnt/cdrom: device is busy

umount: /mnt/cdrom: device is busy

this happens every time I burn a cd and it won't let me burn another till it's damn good and ready (we're talkin' hours) or if I reboot...since one of the things I love about linux is the fact I hardly ever have to reboot, this is totally unacceptable

I assume "-f" is the force argument for umount and that doesn't work either, it just doubles up the "device is busy" message

any ideas as to what might be causing it or a work-around to force the umount?

Hey jcl,

thanks for the response....I installed lsof but of course something went wrong :blink: (as usual, when someone tells me I need something installed)

Beginning to think I shouldn't try to fix anything ....as soon as I start working on one problem another rears its ugly head.

after installing lsof, alsa was messed up somehow and took me a few hours to get that fixed...not sure if there was any connection to installing lsof but sure seemed that way...also I got a "command not found" when I used the code you gave me....arrrrgh!, but I still love linux!!! :D

it sounds like mandrake is automounting the cdrom after the burn.. on your desktop you will probaly see the cd after its burned.. one of two fixes.. tell k3b to eject cd after burning.. or right click the cd when it shows up on the desk top and do a eject..

it sounds like mandrake is automounting the cdrom after the burn.. on your desktop you will probaly see the cd after its burned.. one of two fixes.. tell k3b to eject cd after burning.. or right click the cd when it shows up on the desk top and do a eject..

Thanks iccaros, I usually don't like things on my desktop so I turned off all device icons....it doesn't seem to be auto-mounting after the burn since the icon doesn't show up but if I eject (manually) and close the tray again the icon shows up then I can r- click and eject...k3b will then let me burn another cd...thanks!!!!

just for giggles.. can you list your /etc/fstab

we might fix it with out you having to eject.

Sure thing, I spoke too soon anyway...the problem returned shortly after I posted but I did find a work-around that doesn't seem to care that the drive is still mounted...I changed burning apps from cdrecord to cdrdao and it seems to work fine.

my dvd-rom doesn't seem to want to unmount either...not that that really matters though

/dev/hdc=CD-RW /dev/hdd=DVD-ROM

my fstab:

/dev/hdb5 / ext3 defaults 1 1

/dev/hdb7 /home ext3 defaults 1 2

192.168.0.3:/home/tictoc5150/Documents /mnt/Documents nfs rsize=8192,wsize=8192,nosuid,soft 0 0

/dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom auto user,noauto,ro 0 0

/dev/hdd /mnt/cdrom2 auto umask=0,user,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,noauto,ro,exec,users 0 0

none /mnt/floppy supermount dev=/dev/fd0,fs=ext2:vfat,--,umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-1,sync,codepage=850 0 0

/dev/hda1 /mnt/win_c vfat umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850 0 0

/dev/hdb1 /mnt/win_c2 ntfs umask=0,nls=iso8859-1,ro 0 0

/dev/sda1 /mnt/win_c3 ntfs umask=0,nls=iso8859-1,ro 0 0

/dev/hda2 /mnt/win_d ntfs umask=0,nls=iso8859-1,ro 0 0

none /proc proc defaults 0 0

/dev/hdb6 swap swap defaults 0 0

/dev/sdb1 /mnt/removable auto umask=0,user,iocharset=iso8859-1,sync,kudzu,codepage=850,noauto,exec,users 0 0

first what is codepage=850?

and the only thing you are missing is unhide.. for winders disk..

adn do you really what programs to exec from cdrom??? wine does not need that option to run winders programs....

I see no reason for the umoutn to be nessary.. do you have the newest k3b? mine does nto have that problem... but it may be yoru cdbuffer locking up that is why disk at once works..