New Webiste - Where To Start?

Hello all,

I'm new to this forum but have been told its a very useful source of information, fingers crossed you can popint me in the right direction.

I'm in need of advice and I've got a feeling you'll tell me I'm mad but here goes.....

I'm going to build a webiste and have been looking at where to start and people have told me learning dreamweaver is a good place to start, then I read that dreamweaver is a bit "web 1.0 " and will be limited.

As you´ve already guessed it'll be my first attempt to build a website, but I'm familiar with the world of web (having worked in web marketing for a few years, but never got into the "behind the scenes, bricks n mortar"), i'm competent with CMS and have knowledge of HTML. Like everyone I want my site to be the best, so don't want to learn something that will not get me what I want, all mod cons etc. (want want want).

So in summary, I'm a novice who wants to do everything. I'm very comfortable with computers and sure the learning curve will be steep, I'm just lacking the direction.

¿The question is...Where do I start and what books/software will i need to get me on the way?

Thanks for listening,

Neil

I think with a little CSS knowledge you could use something like wordpress to make a very customize and professional looking website. Even if your end game is to do more with a site, a blog is a very good place to start while gaining knowledge.

I think with your knowledge CMS's, learning CSS and maybe Flash might be a good starting place.

i'm competent with CMS and have knowledge of HTML

Have you thought about using the Joomla CMS?

Check Out:

http://www.rockettheme.com

THey have a good selection of templates for Joomla.

It'll be quite hard to start from scratch and make a competetive Web 2.0 website. Joomla and a good Template make easier, however.

EDIT:

Also, Stay away from GoDaddy!! They may seem like a good host, but you get what you pay for!

Edited by Bubba Bob
I'm going to build a webiste and have been looking at where to start and people have told me learning dreamweaver is a good place to start, then I read that dreamweaver is a bit "web 1.0 " and will be limited.

Stop listening to those people. Dreamweaver may well be limited but there's nothing wrong with "Web 1.0". It is incredibly difficult to produce a "Web 2.0" site that works at all, let alone works well, and impossible to produce one that works well across all platforms.

¿The question is...Where do I start and what books/software will i need to get me on the way?

Probably best to start with the basics: HTML 4.01 or HTML 5, CSS 2.1, and JavaScript 1.5. On the server... it seems like no two people in the world can agree on a Web stack and I don't see why you and I would be exceptions.

• 2 weeks later...

welcome to BT

ive been here for a little while

many of us have miagrated from other boards

my self i came from techtv when it was up and running

like a lot of the posters.

a am also a member of world start- g4-and drews world

but i call this my home page

you will find the posters here are the greatest

and the directer

of the board is ony a very young man but the best in the game

enjoy your time here and if you need any help just post some one will come a runnin

marty

Edited by martymas
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

If you have the basic Text Editor, an Internet/Web Host, and an internet connection with either SSH or SFTP access, you should be half way there. The basics of HTML seem to be within your grasp, so the one thing that I can tell you from experience is to start SMALL, and work your way UP. I started on my linux account about 11 years ago, and learned HTML from some books, some friends and a businessman who wanted me to build websites for him. I took it slow, steady, and learned the basics of coding the hard way (using no Frontpage, Dreamweaver, etc) and using this knowledge, I am expanding into Linux System Administration tasks and all that good stuff.

Take Care,

Brian

• 5 months later...