Google Web Browser - Chrome

I can't see a reason to switch from FF3. Chrome is OK but it doesn't really impress me. My favorite keyboard shortcuts are missing, it doesn't integrate into my theme (instead has a light blue theme similar to Vista while I have a custom blood red theme that FF3 integrates into), I don't like how it handles bookmarks, and it's not any faster than FF3 in most cases. The only thing I noticed that it was better in was memory usage. It uses less memory and allows it to load the program faster....... on my mom's 1.3GHz Celeron, 256MB RAM system. On my Athlon X2 6000+ with 4GB of RAM, they load about the same.

It's a beta though so maybe it'll be better later on.

Edited by Honda_Boy

I've been playing with Chrome since yesterday... I don't see any speed increase over Firefox 2.0.0.16 at all, it seems FF starts displaying a page faster and then paints the rest as with Chrome it has a bit of a delay then the whole page shows up (Possibly only on my machine) and I haven't checked it against FF3.01, I like the fact it got all my bookmarks from FF almost instantly...

I've read some complaints of errors with Gmail but I think that is just those persons machine since Gmail work flawlessly for me in Chrome... One thing that did happen when I was shutting down my machine was Spybot's "Tea Timer" crapped out, it could be the fact I installed S&D 1.6.0 a few days ago and I was running both FF & Chrome at the same time and switching between them and playing around...

I have to agree about the theme (I hate the simple bland Web 2.0 look of most sites), it's just too plain for me but I think the Google team wants it to look like a simple website and thus integrating the Browser & Internet so the user feels like they are not running a program and logging into the Internet but instead just launching their access to everything that is the internet...

My Penny & a Half's Worth... hehe :D

Good to see all of you now that I finally got back online after moving and getting a new job...

Rock on!!!

Keith

Hi Keith,

Glad to see you back on the internet, my friend.

It is good to know that the job situation is moving in the right direction.

I think I'll join you in checking out Chrome,

as I have had good experience with Gmail,

although I am usually hesitant when I see the word "Beta".

I just downloaded and installed Chrome tonight. So far, so good.

The first thing that I am impressed with is that it doesn't try to make itself the default browser and doesn't nag you with pop-ups saying "Are you certain that you do not want Chrome to take over your computer?" Unlike some other browsers. :rolleyes:

The first thing that I am impressed with is that it doesn't try to make itself the default browser and doesn't nag you with pop-ups saying "Are you certain that you do not want Chrome to take over your computer?" Unlike some other browsers. :rolleyes:

That is a feather in it's cap also it is open source wait until the masses get ahold of it but I'm with BubbaBob Opera is what I bleed .

Are you talking about IE? I checked the option for it NOT to check if it's the default browser and haven't seen that pop-up in years.

Re: Chrome, does it require XP or above?

Re: Chrome, does it require XP or above?

XP or Vista. It's possible that it'll support Win9x down the line but I wouldn't hold my breath. Chrome spawns a process for every tab and I don't think Win9x was really designed to accommodate that kind of behavior. (It's not ideal for NT either, but only for performance reasons.)

I hope there will be an OS X or Linux version at some point:-)

Google promises Chrome for Mac and Linux =

http://newswires.vnunet.co.uk/c/1DNxGkWqOOzhSLv

"What are Google Chrome's system requirements?

... XP with Service Pack 2 or later and Windows Vista. Download Chrome and

try it today. (Mac and Linux users - we're working on it.) ...

"Google has promised to deliver versions of its Chrome web browser for Mac and Linux users.

Amanda Walker, a software engineer at Google, said in a posting to the company's official Mac blog that the browser will be completely rewritten for the Mac and Linux releases.

Walker noted that the products are far from ready for release, describing development as still being 'pieces' of an application rather than a completed build.

The developer also said that, with the release of the Windows build, the Mac and Linux versions would become 'open' projects so that users could track progress.

"For a number of reasons, much of the initial prototyping and design was done for Windows," Walker wrote.

"We wanted to make sure that the user experience was very smooth for Windows users as well, and when you're hashing out and testing ideas it can be helpful to not have to do so on three platforms simultaneously."

Walker dismissed the notion that the Mac and Linux builds would be the conventional software 'ports' in which Windows code is merely tweaked to work on a different platform.

"In order to make sure Chromium [the open source project for Google Chrome] feels right, each platform's version is being built by people who live and breathe that platform," she said.

"The engineers working on these versions are long-time Mac and Linux engineers who are just as picky about the details as anyone.

"Macs and Linux machines are very popular at Google at all levels, so progress is already being followed avidly across all levels of the company."

http://www.infoworld.com/article/08/09/03/...s_Chrome_1.html =

"Security researchers have already uncovered vulnerabilities in Google's Chrome browser, including one that could allow a user to download malicious code."

"Google Chrome at risk from 'carpet bomb' bug. Attackers can use a months-old 'carpet bomb' bug with another flaw to trick Google Chrome browser users into downloading and launching malicious code, security researcher Aviv Raffsaid said." =

http://cwflyris.computerworld.com/t/358185...01420/137117/2/

"Chrome has already been demonstrated to be vulnerable to the Apple Safari "Carpet Bombing" vulnerability." = http://blogs.pcmag.com/securitywatch/2008/...es_to_raise.php

Edited by sultan_emerr