Today, I'm Listening To ...

Just got some Sennheiser HD-202 DJ Headphones and they are incredible. Got em on sale on Newegg.com and after tax they cost just under $28. Amazing bass and volume response. I expected for the size, they would require more power than my MP3 could produce (my MP3 player was all I had test them with at first). I was wrong. I'm glad I got them cause I would max the volume on my laptop with my old Koss circumaural headphones (and when I say old I mean OLD) and wouldn't be satisfied with the volume level when watching video. These ought to do the trick. I got them for 2 reasons. One, this trip I'm bout to go on. I wanted better than my little clip-ons but the Koss set was not loud enough. Two, I'm moving to go to a University and will be in an apartment. Can't crank my Logitech Z-4's or else I'll annoy neighbors so I wanted some good headphones. I'm quite happy for the price. I almost got a $100 Sennheiser set but it wasn't there when I decided to order. I'm kinda glad cause I need to quit spending so much.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They do and they work great. They also make cheaper supraaural headphones and earbuds but most of their cirumaural (around the ear) are expensive. My only gripe is these are the kind that sorta sit on your ear a little. I've had some like these in the past and got used to them but with extended use they can get a little uncomfortable. Still the price and sound quality make up for it. Plus they are good and drowning out outside noise when there's sound going through them and they also keep the sound they produce from getting out so I didn't bother my parents while on this trip.

My first set of good headphones, twenty something years ago were Sennheiser 414's. I loved them but my ears would get hot after a while. Now I like the in-ear plug type.

About a year ago I was at a Apple store and listening to a ipod with some Bose noise canceling phones. I had never heard music sound so good could not believe that a ipod playing aac files could be so full and rich. I knew I had to have the Bose phones. Well once I found them on the shelf with the $250 price tag I had second thoughts about how much I wanted them.

I had no idea my Creative ZEN X-Fi could produce sound that good outta MP3's with just some cheaper Sennheiser headphones. I don't like the in ear types. One my ears aren't that big so they aren't all that comfortable and two, they cause pressure issues in my ears that hurt. For sound quality, I prefer Circumaural headphones, and for mobility, I prefer Supra-aural clip-ons. The clip-ons are pretty comfortable for me and for work they allow me to still hear other people when they need me.

My first set of good headphones, twenty something years ago were Sennheiser 414's. I loved them but my ears would get hot after a while. Now I like the in-ear plug type.

About a year ago I was at a Apple store and listening to a ipod with some Bose noise canceling phones. I had never heard music sound so good could not believe that a ipod playing aac files could be so full and rich. I knew I had to have the Bose phones. Well once I found them on the shelf with the $250 price tag I had second thoughts about how much I wanted them.

There are a lot of opinions out there regarding Bose products, some discussions get quite heated. I don't think they produce an "accurate" sound, but they sure do make a "pleasantly listenable" sound. I have no problem with someone choosing 'pleasantly listenable' over the more esoteric 'accuracy.' You can pay through the nose for 'accuracy,' or you can pay through the nose for Bose products, either way you'll enjoy the music.

I know all the hate for Bose and the slogans like no highs no lows must be Bose. I have a nice set of Audio Technica Pro5V's that I use for my home recording and they sound great but those Bose had all the right EQ for my ears. Maybe not for everyone but every time I have a chance to try them and still want a set.

If you get a chance to try the Bose Quiet Comfort give them a try I think the super warm mid and clean upper mids are outstanding.

"No highs, no lows, must be Bose." Never heard that, and it doesn't even make sense from what I've heard from Bose products. Eh.

I have a high-end receiver with specs about as good as you can get, and I don't like the sound compared to the Heathkit home-built stereo it replaced. I would NEVER go back to vinyl over compact disks -- Horrors! Kill me first. Sound and hearing (and music and movies etc.) are way too subjective for anyone to say one thing is "definitely" superior to another. If you prefer one thing over another, then THAT is the superior product -- PERIOD

Blasphemy, I know.

Oh yeah, in a similar vein, I just stopped visiting a movie/netflix board after I expressed an opinion that goes against the "purist" dogma and got HAMMERED for it. Screw you, it's my opinion, I don't need to be called "stupid" and "disrespectful" because I don't buy into the dogma. :P

Edited by JDoors

Well, one thing I've heard with Bose is their speakers are pretty bad. $200+ set of Bose 2.1 speakers and $50-100 Logitech speakers sound better. Paid $50 for my Z-4's (normally, at the time, they were $100 most places) and combined with my Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Profess1onal, they sound great even to this day. I've had the speakers about 3-4 years and they always sounded great to me (I've only had the sound card almost a year, I used an Audigy 2ZS before it). The small speakers with their weird design provide surprisingly big sound and the chambered subwoofer shakes the whole house (hence why I bought the headphones for apartment life). Combine that with the X-Fi crystalizer, set the EQ to Rock, bam. Pure awesomeness.

Like dozens of other flame wars on subjective topics, Bose, right or wrong, deserved or not, got a reputation, you either respect them or think they're crap. Many people dismiss the products without ever having giving them a fair listening. However, the PERSON, Bose, is FAMOUS for his work with sound. He didn't get famous (and rich) by making crap (the same applies to the other topics that seem to produce pointless flame wars).

• 2 months later...

Listening to the Medal of Honor: Allied Assault Soundtrack. Or rather I'm just going into the program files to listen to songs. Awesome orchestral arrangements. Kinda like listening to John Williams stuff, only it's it's Michael Giacchino.

Recently found something. Rhapsody, now known as Rhapsody of Fire. They sound kinda like DragonForce.... only better. After hearing Rhapsody, I don't even really care for DragonForce anymore. Rhapsody likes to incorporate orchestral pieces into into their stuff. Kinda like TSO on crack without the Christmas theme.

They are classified as Power metal, symphonic metal, progressive metal, neo-classical metal I think.

Edited by Honda_Boy
  • 2 weeks later...

Just downloaded some new anime singles. And I'm in love with one. I started watching a series called Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom (kinda of a redundant name if you ask me but the series is great so far) the first opening song is GREAT.

KOKIA - Karma

it's a powerful and beautiful sounding song. Bee Train is the studio that animated the series and they always get some spectacular music for their shows. I was kinda bummed to find out that FictionJunction/Kajiura Yuuki wasn't doing any of the music (she worked on MADLAX and El Cazador de la Bruja which were both Bee Train series) but the music is still great. There's a second song of course on the single:

KOKIA - Insonnia

it's a quiet but very pretty sounding song. It put me in a very relaxed state listening to it.

The ending theme however is done by Ali Project, which I've gotten tired of. All of her stuff is very repetitious and sounds the same. She doesn't even have to sing for me to figure out it's her. It only takes a coupla seconds cause all her stuff sounds the same. I liked some of her stuff back a coupla years ago. Really, the openings for Rozen Maiden and Rozen Maiden Traumend were about the only ones by her I really liked, and the song Coppelia no Hitsugi that she did for the opening of Noir (another Bee Train series) was alright too cause it was different than the rest of her stuff.

Wow, discovered this song with one of my new singles:

KOTOKO - Message

I have to say it's well done and not like KOTOKO's other stuff. It doesn't have that typical Jpop sound so much. The guitar work is really good and sounds kinda like Rush. Drums don't sound like it though :D I don't think anyone can sound like Neil Peart.

• 2 months later...

Thread Resurrection!

OK, I have been buying music, actually I've been to TWO concerts, but it's kind of off the charts stuff.

Celtic Thunder.

It feels like I've been enamored of this group for ages ... enamored? I'm obsessed. The first thought in my head when I wake up every morning is lyrics from one of their songs! Help me. (I've even learned the Gaelic words to their songs! Oh God ... )

(Did I bring them up before? This is the opening song from a concert two years ago ... I have to have mentioned them before ... oh well, old thread is old.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkTZLe4iWEY

Anyhow, the concerts are fan-freakin'-tastic. Beautiful songs, music, humor, and the rowdiest bunch of fanatics I've EVER experienced. I've been to big-name concerts before but nothing prepared me for the crying and screaming and tears and ... PRAYING! Yes, during one Irish song I saw a woman in the aisle praying. Ever seen THAT before at a concert? :blink:

One of the more familiar traditional Irish songs (you can see here how a couple of years of adolescence has affected the youngest member):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nv6xrTh--7o

The other sorta-kinda off the charts purchases have been Michael Bublé (I see I have mentioned him before), including something I do around this time every year, a Christmas album (a tradition I must have started LONG ago, as I have around twenty Christmas albums!).

Oh yeah, and the latest from Dream Theater.

Edited by JDoors

I started an anime the other day, Umineko no Naku Koro ni (When the Seagulls Cry), and during the opening theme I kept thinking, "Man, this sure sounds like Ar Tonelico music". Looked up the artist who performed the OP of the anime, then I looked up the music of Ar Tonelico: Melody of Elemia. Sure enough, this girl did the opening song for the game, she was the primary singer for 3 of the hymns, the primary singer for 1 of the insert songs, and was part of a trio for one of the hymns (by primary singer, I mean she sings the main parts with a choir accompanying her singing other parts). She also performed much of the music for Ar Tonelico II: Melody of Metafalica. I still need to finish that game. I may wind up restarting it cause I haven't played it in a few weeks. It's just not sucking me in like the first. I had the first done in less than a week (32 hour clear time at that).

Any who. This is the girl, and the music I've been listening to by her from Umineko no Naku Koro ni:

Shikata Akiko - Kata Tsubasa no Tori

Shikata Akiko - VII

Thread Resurrection!

OK, I have been buying music, actually I've been to TWO concerts, but it's kind of off the charts stuff.

Celtic Thunder.

It feels like I've been enamored of this group for ages ... enamored? I'm obsessed. The first thought in my head when I wake up every morning is lyrics from one of their songs! Help me. (I've even learned the Gaelic words to their songs! Oh God ... )

(Did I bring them up before? This is the opening song from a concert two years ago ... I have to have mentioned them before ... oh well, old thread is old.)

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=RkTZLe4iWEY

Anyhow, the concerts are fan-freakin'-tastic. Beautiful songs, music, humor, and the rowdiest bunch of fanatics I've EVER experienced. I've been to big-name concerts before but nothing prepared me for the crying and screaming and tears and ... PRAYING! Yes, during one Irish song I saw a woman in the aisle praying. Ever seen THAT before at a concert? blink.gif

One of the more familiar traditional Irish songs (you can see here how a couple of years of adolescence has affected the youngest member):

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=nv6xrTh--7o

The other sorta-kinda off the charts purchases have been Michael Bublé (I see I have mentioned him before), including something I do around this time every year, a Christmas album (a tradition I must have started LONG ago, as I have around twenty Christmas albums!).

Oh yeah, and the latest from Dream Theater.

Michael Buble thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

• 13 years later...

Today, I'm listening to some great tunes while working on a leather craft workshop. Leather crafting is an enjoyable hobby that allows you to express your creativity and make unique items like wallets, belts, and keychains. As you work on your project, listening to music can help you relax and get into the creative flow. Whether you're a beginner or an experienced leather crafter, combining music and crafting is a great way to spend your free time. So why not give it a try and see what you can create?