Possible Power Supply Problem?

Hey all,

I've got a friend that has an intermittent startup problem...meaning, sometimes the PC starts, sometimes it doesn't...I asked if he gets the POST beep and he says it acts like he didn't even hit the on button...my question I guess is, do power supplies go bad gradually, sometimes not working then back to working again?...or should I be looking at the power switch as a possible culprit too?....anything else I should check?

I'll be testing the PS when he delivers it to me but if it checks out fine with all voltages correct or if I can't duplicate the problem, give it back and the problem returns I'm gonna be p!$$ed...just trying to cover all bases...any input appreciated.

gee, i have the same problem as your friend...

yes, a PS can degrade gradually and result in power-up problems.

i spent about 90 minutes getting mine back up - removed un-necessary cards, fans, drives, etc. during which i verified that the power switch was not at fault, video card was still good, etc. after getting the system to boot, i've just left it on all the time

and have monitored the PS voltages (both with a meter and with software) and the

PS is solid - once it starts. no crashes on the computer either. still running fine after about a week like that.

not that this means your friend definitely has the same *cause* of the problem, but hope this helps.

I do not know if they have already sent it to you. If they haven't, you can ask them these questions to help narrow it down a bit.

Is the computer plugged into an outlet strip or are they plugged into various outlets? It would be better of course if all of it was plugged into a UPS or battery back-up.

When there are problems with the computer starting up, do the lights in the room dim or flicker? The same question would apply when it shuts down completely.

Are there any scorch marks on the wall outlets?

Does the plug cord feel warm after it has been plugged in for more then an hour? It does not matter if the computer has been on or not. A faulty power cord could cause the PSU to burn out prematurely.

When was the last time he has cleaned out the computer? Yeah, open up the case and blow out all the debris with a can of conpressed air. You never know, there could be some dust bunnies causing havoc on his system.

Yes power supplies can go kaput gradually,

had the same thing happen on my old system. When it finally when Kaput on me it fried my mobo and everything attached to it. based on that happening I would recommend replacing the PS ASAP it that turns out to be the problem.