PROBLEM:

Apparently out of nowhere my MS Word began to quit when opening a file and the message read, "Word Cannot Start the Converter 'Word Open XML' ". Now it just quits with a basic message telling me to try opening the file again. I make the attempt and then the file goes corrupt. Some files open okay, others do not. MS Word 2004 quits with both older files and newer files.

RECENTLY:

I do not use MS Word daily so I cannot be certain when this problem started; however the last update to my Intel Mac 10.4.11 was July 1st and it was a security update for the Intel Mac along with a Safari update. I've noticed posts in other forums where other people having similar problems recently.

WHAT I'VE TRIED:

--Restarting the system

--Testing with a different user log in

--removing preference files for Word and/or Office

--Ran Disk Utility and repaired the HD with my start up disc

--confirmed Word was up to date (strange though...I had updated Word to 11.5, but when I check the software by "getting info" it still says v11.3)

Rather than reinstalling software does anyone have any great suggestions?

Thanks so much for your support!

Shannon

Are these files that are having trouble being opened .docx files? Meaning they were created with either Mac Office 2008 or Office 2007 on the PC? That is what I am thinking.

Try using the XML converter provided by Microsoft and use that to convert the files that are not opening - see if that fixes the problem.

XML Converter for Mac OSX

Direct Download Link

B

Follow up post, if you would like to read more information exactly what is going on and why you cannot open these files without converting them first see here.

It has to do with the way the new office documents are encoded and saved, which unfortunately is not backwards compatible with the older versions of Office.

B

They were created on a PC, but I am not certain if it was in Office 2007 or 08, but I highly doubt it. The files are all .doc and I did try converting with Open XML Converter which I downloaded earlier today. No luck.

I should also mention that I have a file which I had been able to open in the past that I can't open now, so I ruled out the software version conflicct.

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

Shannon

Are these files that are having trouble being opened .docx files? Meaning they were created with either Mac Office 2008 or Office 2007 on the PC? That is what I am thinking.

Try using the XML converter provided by Microsoft and use that to convert the files that are not opening - see if that fixes the problem.

XML Converter for Mac OSX

Direct Download Link

B

I should also ask if these documents have any special fonts, wordart, or anything that may be different than the norm?

If you would like, you can send one of the documents to me and I will see if I can open it. If Word is now not opening documents it used to be able to it may be corrupting them.

B

• 5 months later...

The same problem has happen to me.

I use iMac. The problem occurred when I was working in a Word File and I accidently opened an Excel file. Word then become stuck and opened a large page that was blank but had no end (when you scrolled left or right it just kept going).

I quite word, restarted the iMac and the problem continued and is described as follows:

1) Word loads up with no problem

2) You can not open a file by clicking on the ICON open file.

3) You can not open a file by clicking on FILE - OPEN.

(When you do either of the above two, word hangs and is non responsive.

4) YOU CAN open a file by going into FILE MANAGER. When you do this the following message appears.

5) Word cannot start the converter "Word Open XML".

The problem I have is that Apple support can not help me and either can Microsoft.

Anyone with any suggestions.

Thank you

Paul

• 1 year later...

Many times problems like this can be solved by trashing a .plist file. Look in your Library > Preference folder and find the office plist files and move them to desktop to put back lated if you want or just trash them.

Also run the Microsoft updater to see if you need any updates.