Ok To Remove Cable From Dsl Modem W/o Closing Down?

I'm in the process of setting up a "back-up" computer for my mother and need to use the same ethernet port on my modem that I am presently using for my own computer.

Is it okay to pull my ethernet cable from the modem without closing down my computer so I can use that same port for the backup computer cable? OR is it important to close down my computer before disconnecting from the modem?

Sure will appreciate your time and response! nancy

Edited by wonderent
You can unplug the Ethernet cable from the machine without shutting down. The only thing that will occur is that you will disconnect from the Internet and/or your local area network.

B

Oh, gosh! Thanks so much for the quick response, B! This helps me so much. So, since it's easier for me to disconnect from the modem, that will be the same "OK to do," right?

You can unplug the Ethernet cable from the machine without shutting down. The only thing that will occur is that you will disconnect from the Internet and/or your local area network.

B

Oh, gosh! Thanks so much for the quick response, B! This helps me so much. So, since it's easier for me to disconnect from the modem, that will be the same "OK to do," right?

Yep.

B