Computer Not Restarting Or Booting Properly

Let me get some specs out of the way first, feel free to ask for others;

Gateway GT4016 desktop PC

Windows XP 2005 Media Center Edition

Avast Anti-Virus 4.8

Comodo Firewall 3.0.25.378

Mozilla Firefox browser

Ok so here's my problem, about 2 months ago my computer starting having these problems. Whenever I restart the computer it won't restart, it goes through the process of restarting, but when it's time for it to reload it won't, it just sits there after the screen goes blank, I have to actually unplug it and plug it back in so it will restart. Even then though it's not so simple because my other problem is the computer won't boot right half the time, I turn it on and it powers up as you can hear the fans but it won't completely load, you see nothing on the screen and the light on the power button doesn't come on. I have to unplug the computer once or sometimes several times in order for it to finally turn on.

What is my problem? Power supply going bad? Motherboard problems? Or something entirely different?

If you haven't cleaned it out in some time, you should do that. Dust can kill a PC. Also, I would look at the power supply and motherboard, also the hard drive. Either of those things could be taking it's final turn in life, so get ready for some repairs in the future I think...or even a new PC

If you haven't cleaned it out in some time, you should do that.

Hi, thanks for responding. I did that already, unfortunately it didn't help.

Also, I would look at the power supply and motherboard, also the hard drive. Either of those things could be taking it's final turn in life, so get ready for some repairs in the future I think...or even a new PC

Is there anyway I could somehow check either of these things to get an idea if one is going bad? Something I can visually see, or actually test?

What's frustrating is I just bought this computer in 2006, so it's not very old. And it's been working fine until this.

Let me get some specs out of the way first, feel free to ask for others;

Gateway GT4016 desktop PC

Windows XP 2005 Media Center Edition

Avast Anti-Virus 4.8

Comodo Firewall 3.0.25.378

Mozilla Firefox browser

Ok so here's my problem, about 2 months ago my computer starting having these problems. Whenever I restart the computer it won't restart, it goes through the process of restarting, but when it's time for it to reload it won't, it just sits there after the screen goes blank, I have to actually unplug it and plug it back in so it will restart. Even then though it's not so simple because my other problem is the computer won't boot right half the time, I turn it on and it powers up as you can hear the fans but it won't completely load, you see nothing on the screen and the light on the power button doesn't come on. I have to unplug the computer once or sometimes several times in order for it to finally turn on.

What is my problem? Power supply going bad? Motherboard problems? Or something entirely different?

Probably, it sure sounds like it.

I think that the first thing to check into is the power supply.

Use something like everest home edition (the free one ) or SIW to check the voltages. If they are off by over 5% you probably have a power supply issue. It could be that it is just not strong enough (IE you added components which need more power without buying a new more powerful power supply). It could be that the solenoid is sticking (they call it a switching power supply for a reason, It is actually always on supplying power to certain traces on the motherboard which allow the motherboard to turn off the power to the rest of the PC and the power button to tell the motherboard to turn on full power to everything ).

The fact that it turns on but won't boot is one good sign of a failing power supply , and generally repeated tries eventually get it to boot as drives keep spinning, ram stays charged etc and it takes less power each time.

But then it could be the motherboard since that controls everything.

If it boots most of the way to windows, but then freezes or it will boot reliably to safe mode but not windows then it is probably a component (generally software such as the firewall or antivirus) and not hardware.

Thanks for the responses.

I almost think I'd be better off to buy a new computer since just a tower by itself isn't all that expensive, and I could upgrade in the process to something newer. I'm not sure how expensive it would be to fix the issue with this one, but I'm not so in love with the computer that I absolutely have to use this one, I'm definitely open to having another one.

It's a shame though because all in all it's been a decent pc.

You could bring it to my shop in Rochester MN, we do free estimates :-) Kidding aside, if it was brought to me, the first thing I would do would be to try a new power supply. You could buy a power supply for about $20. It is an inexpensive and easy thing to do. The supply I listed is cheap, but I have used at least 30 of that brand with great luck(none have been DOA or have come back to the shop).

You could bring it to my shop in Rochester MN, we do free estimates :-) Kidding aside, if it was brought to me, the first thing I would do would be to try a new power supply. You could buy a power supply for about $20. It is an inexpensive and easy thing to do. The supply I listed is cheap, but I have used at least 30 of that brand with great luck(none have been DOA or have come back to the shop).

With the amount of money for gas it would take to get to your shop I could probably buy the best computer out there. :)

What would your shop for example charge to replace someones power supply? I realize every shop will have different prices, but that would at least give me an estimate should I decide to take it in.

We usually charge $90. I figure about $45 for the part and $45 for the labor. With markup on the part, we are making about $70. Considering the time to do it is less then a half hour, it is one of our more profitable jobs. With that said, we have the lowest prices of anyone in our area. We offer free diagnostic and estimates. Most every shop charges a diagnostic fee of $30 - $40(more for laptops) just to look at a computer. In your area, if you call around, you may find it for less money. Just a thought, if you did the diagnosis, brought me the part and just wanted me to install it, I would just charge you for about 1/2 hour labor of about $30 - $40. I suspect other shops may do the same.

Trust me, I am scared to do stuff that is new to me. I can understand the thought of doing it yourself is nerve wracking. It is a very easy job, you will not have any problem doing it your self. The link below explains it. In all honesty, the directions make it sound much harder then it is.

http://support.gateway.com/s/PC/DX100/1008...8551faq16.shtml

If you get stuck, we can help you :-)

With all this said, it may be your mother board. But if you do it yourself, you have only invested about $22 for the part, not a big deal.

Thanks for your help shanenin. In doing some research this morning it appears that this problem is quite common with the Gateway GT4016 after a couple of years use. I didn't read anyone saying they fixed the problem though, just people mentioning that it was either the power supply or the motherboard, which we've already determined here.

I definitely don't trust taking it to a place like Best Buy though, what might be a power supply issue will quickly turn into a new hard drive and everything with a place like that. They always find things wrong that weren't a problem before. No offense to any Geek Squad employees. ;)