Hello everyone,

Here's the problem.

All day the computers are working fine (2 Pc's and one iMac.) With night comes a lightning-crazy thunderstorm and one extremely loud, house shaking, lightning-and-thunder-at-the-exact-same-time lightning. (Almost feels as if it MAY have hit our house.) Anyway, wake up the next morning, and the 2 Pc's are unable to connect to the internet. "A network cable may be unplugged." Alright... Maybe Videotron wires got hit and broke or something. Go downstairs check the Motorola internet box, all the lights are lit, Ok, so it's not Videotron, the problem is here, in the house... Check the Router (D-Link, with wires, NOT wireless), the 'ON' light is on and... One computer is active. Must the iMac, lo and behold it works: EVERYWHERE. It works where both PC's plug in and connects to the internet without a problem. Therefore, the problem is not in the wiring. The problem HAS to be the computers. The computers, however, work FINE. Absolutely nothing wrong with them, apart the inability to connect to LAN.

What I'm wondering is if it is possible that a power surge, through the cable line, mess up my ethernet card?

Also, I have a ASUS A8R-MVP Motherboard that has a built in ethernet, how would that affect the possibility of the above question? Also, is is possible to replace just the ethernet component without spending $100+ on a new motherboard?

On the other PC a Shuttle (see www.shuttle.com) FB65 Motherboard also has the Ethernet built in.

What can I do?

Thanks in advance,

Mitch

Hello everyone,

Here's the problem.

All day the computers are working fine (2 Pc's and one iMac.) With night comes a lightning-crazy thunderstorm and one extremely loud, house shaking, lightning-and-thunder-at-the-exact-same-time lightning. (Almost feels as if it MAY have hit our house.) Anyway, wake up the next morning, and the 2 Pc's are unable to connect to the internet. "A network cable may be unplugged." Alright... Maybe Videotron wires got hit and broke or something. Go downstairs check the Motorola internet box, all the lights are lit, Ok, so it's not Videotron, the problem is here, in the house... Check the Router (D-Link, with wires, NOT wireless), the 'ON' light is on and... One computer is active. Must the iMac, lo and behold it works: EVERYWHERE. It works where both PC's plug in and connects to the internet without a problem. Therefore, the problem is not in the wiring. The problem HAS to be the computers. The computers, however, work FINE. Absolutely nothing wrong with them, apart the inability to connect to LAN.

What I'm wondering is if it is possible that a power surge, through the cable line, mess up my ethernet card?

Also, I have a ASUS A8R-MVP Motherboard that has a built in ethernet, how would that affect the possibility of the above question? Also, is is possible to replace just the ethernet component without spending $100+ on a new motherboard?

On the other PC a Shuttle (see www.shuttle.com) FB65 Motherboard also has the Ethernet built in.

What can I do?

Thanks in advance,

Mitch

You can install a pci ethernet card if you have the room on the motherboard.

Did you try a hard restart of the modem and router? Reset the router?