Well it was nice while it lasted. I used AVG free for years. A great antivirus program IMO.

However lately they are starting in with the constant pop ups warning me to upgrade to version 8. (which is no longer going to be free if you want updated email protection).

Pop up annoyance is somethibg I can't tolerate. And I still want a fully functional free AV system.

I've been looking at Avast. Anyone here use it?

Thanks,

Joe

Edited by irregularjoe

Hi Joe,

There is a version 8 free. I am using it now I thought the same thing when I got the warning message a while back. I will try to get the link of the free version for you. I'be back soon.

Pat

p.s. It might have been major geeks I'll see

http://www.majorgeeks.com/AVG_AntiVirus_Fr...ition_d886.html

Edited by novi

Joe:

I use Avast on one of my laptops. Have had it for a couple of years and am quite satisfied with it. It updates automatically anti-virus definitions, and will advise you of the latest software version. You don't have to go their web site to D/L the new version. You do it thru the program itself.

I've never had any trouble with it, except one time it kept picking up a false positive when scanning. Went to their web site forum, and found out everyone else had it too. They fixed problem quite fast as I remember. That was a couple of years ago, nothing since. I really like it.

Barb

AVG 8 is still free. There is still a free e-mail scanner in it as well. I have it but my friend has reported his laptop appears slightly slower with it. My rig was already experiencing slow downs from other unknown causes so I saw no difference. My Laptop still is running the same with no slow downs with it. I like it cause now it's pretty :P

I played with Avast once in the past and didn't like it, so I'm gonna keep rockin AVG.

Thanks for all the replies.

Maybe I'm mistaken, but I thought that AVG 8 would not update email protection after a trial period.

I'll check it out more thoroughly and I'll also look into Avast. It seems like a good program.

Thanks again,

Joe :thumbsup:

Edited by irregularjoe
AVG 8 is still free. There is still a free e-mail scanner in it as well. I have it but my friend has reported his laptop appears slightly slower with it. My rig was already experiencing slow downs from other unknown causes so I saw no difference. My Laptop still is running the same with no slow downs with it. I like it cause now it's pretty :P

I played with Avast once in the past and didn't like it, so I'm gonna keep rockin AVG.

I also endorse Avast. I have been running Avast for several years, and have never been infected by anything. Of course, I also have a hardware router, a Comodo free software firewall, and the usual 5 free anti-malware and anti-spyware programs running.

like many of you ive used avast since the days of

techtv c.f.h

pete sent a link for the program before it became popular

and ive used no other since

i used avg for a short time

back those days

but i wasent impressed with it

how ever as long as you have protection

is what counts

marty