Strange Product Recall,

Wow, just had a flashback. I used to have a bunch of fancy glass bottles. Thought I'd fill 'em with colored water and arrange them by a window so the sunlight would glimmer through all those pretty colors. Neat. 'Til I noticed some of that sunlight was suspiciously concentrated on nearby surfaces. End of arrangement.

That may be why this recall rang a bell.

May seem a little off topic, but:

Where does the candle go?

-Joe

It holds a small / votive candle behind the glass.

I would be concerned about it tipping over more than about sunlight lensing and hitting the same spot long enough to start a fire.

But who knows.

Most common is small ones with frosted glass.

Hmm, I just realized I have a wind chime with a glass lens like that. I wonder if they think it can cause a fire. Had it over a year so I doubt it , at least not when hung up at a proper height.

... Hmm, I just realized I have a wind chime with a glass lens like that. I wonder if they think it can cause a fire. Had it over a year so I doubt it , at least not when hung up at a proper height.

I'm not one to sweat over every minor or perceived danger, but do you really want to wait and see if it ever starts a fire? Not that I'm gonna go looking to see if I have anything that might do that. I have crystals in the kitchen window and while they don't "concentrate" sunlight, they do alter it (rainbows). Hmm.

I doubt the darn wind chime sits still long enough to focus the light on much of anything; and besides which it is in the shade of three trees and generally even if it were lit the light would fall on brick or concrete, not anything flammable.

As for the candle holders; all folks have to do is move them to a location where they are not going to be in direct sunlight; like on the back of the toilet or edge of the tub on a tile surface dining table in the middle of the room. Just use common sense.

I find it really ridiculous how the baristorcracy (society run by lawyers and a fear of what they can do to us ) we live in goes to such extremes to protect people from their own idiocy at the expense of commerce, industry , medical care, infrastructure and everything else.

We would be a lot better off without the money and power hungry lawyers jumping on every opportunity to make themselves richer , more powerful , and more feared.

They and the Speculators who unnecessarily drive up future prices of commodities just to make themselves rich at the expense of both the actual producers and consumers of the products in question are a real drag on the economy and society.

Edited by Pete_C
... As for the candle holders; all folks have to do is move them to a location where they are not going to be in direct sunlight; like on the back of the toilet or edge of the tub on a tile surface dining table in the middle of the room. Just use common sense.

I find it really ridiculous how the baristorcracy (society run by lawyers and a fear of what they can do to us ) we live in goes to such extremes to protect people from their own idiocy at the expense of commerce, industry , medical care, infrastructure and everything else. ...

Oh man, do I ever agree with you on that. My first thought about this recall was just that: Don't put it in direct sunlight. Why spend millions to remove them from circulation? Because maybe, somehow, somewhere, possibily, there might be a problem? Sheesh.

After reading what you wrote I thought: Why not put a warning label on it? WHOA! Stop right there! Yeah, like we need MORE warning labels! :lol:

One reason we're in this nanny-state mess? One word: Lawyers.