I just installed it on a new machine and it blue sceened. I should have taken the time to disable automatic reboot and see what the cause was, but I did not. I was able to uninstall it in safe mode, that seemed to fix the problem.

edit added later//

I tried a second time to install sp3, I was able to reproduce the problem. I googled the blue screen and had something similar to the code mentioned in the following link. I followed the recommended fix in the article and the problem is solved. This appears only to affect computers with non-intel chips(amd). The article gives a more specific cause.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888372

Will Microsoft make any bug fixes to solve this problem, or is this the final release that WILL NOT get changed?

I just installed it on a new machine and it blue sceened. I should have taken the time to disable automatic reboot and see what the cause was, but I did not. I was able to uninstall it in safe mode, that seemed to fix the problem.

edit added later//

I tried a second time to install sp3, I was able to reproduce the problem. I googled the blue screen and had something similar to the code mentioned in the following link. I followed the recommended fix in the article and the problem is solved. This appears only to affect computers with non-intel chips(amd). The article gives a more specific cause.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888372

Will Microsoft make any bug fixes to solve this problem, or is this the final release that WILL NOT get changed?

Well, from what I see, it is not a "Microsoft" problem but a problem in most cases with third party drivers which are not correctly formatted.

Remember, Microsoft does not support "OEM" modified versions that is up to the manufacturer to do .

That may be, but how can they in good faith release an update to so many computers knowing it will break them?

The alternative is never releasing the update.

That may be, but how can they in good faith release an update to so many computers knowing it will break them?

The alternative is never releasing the update.

Agreed, Microsoft released the Alpha, the Beta, the Release Candidates etc ; so all the hardware and software authors have had ample time to find out if their product has a problem and fix it.

I suspect that many of these problems stem from installation of XP on machines it really should never have been installed on. Sure with a little effort it installed and worked; but it was never really designed to run on those machines.

Given the hundreds of millions of computers running XP; it is not surprising that a few will have major problems and a lot will have minor ones when there is a major change.

I just had one machine not load beyond the "Microsoft Windows Update Please Wait" splash screen on reboot. After waiting until there had been no hard drive activity for a couple minutes I pressed the reset button and it booted right to windows no problem. No errors and the update checks . No errors in the error log, it was just waiting for something to proceed to load. Probably the antivirus or firewall .

I see no need to rush to get it, but it is doubtful that there will be any major change to what has already been put on windows update.

If you do not have any of the know causes of complications (IE you have a clean stable fairly new machine with an Intel Processor ) then I see no reason not to get it installed.

Remember, it takes a long time to download (IE average size of download is about 67MB on an otherwise fully up to date machine) and then it analyzes your machine backs up the files it will be replacing, stops what has to be stopped, replaces what gets replaced, adds what needs adding , and then it tests the processes it stopped to be able to replace component dlls, only then does it clean up after itself and restart the computer to make the final changes which could not be made within the windows environment .

So if you see it at the gold shield as ready, give it a half hour to forty five minutes to get downloaded. Then it should pop up and prompt to close all windows and install. If it does not do this, go to windows update. Chances are you haven't been updated to the latest WGA and latest version of windows update which are needed to download and install SP3.

I suspect that many of these problems stem from installation of XP on machines it really should never have been installed on. Sure with a little effort it installed and worked; but it was never really designed to run on those machines.

Given the hundreds of millions of computers running XP; it is not surprising that a few will have major problems and a lot will have minor ones when there is a major change.

This particular computer was fairly new HP desktop with "Media Center" edition. Isn't HP now the largest seller of computers(or a close second to dell). their must have been tons of computers that broke or will break with this update.

Hmmm, no problems installing on my AMD CPU system. Then again, I chose to use the full standalone update because I plan to back up the installer for easier distribution to my other PCs.

Are those who are experiencing installation problems (minor or major) getting them after using Windows Update to obtain SP3?

This particular computer was fairly new HP desktop with "Media Center" edition. Isn't HP now the largest seller of computers(or a close second to dell). their must have been tons of computers that broke or will break with this update.

HP screwed up. Not much Microsoft can about it. Not sure how not much HP can do, either, since their recovery discs/partitions are probably based on the same system image.