OK I have had my issues with my Linksys WRT54G version 2.2 as of late and I am wondering if 3rd party firmware is worth it and or will fix the problem. So far I have heard bad stories about it.

My router is doing this that drives me nuts.

1) drops my DSL connection at random times.

2) has the correct firmware version # but the date of the firmware is wrong.

3) I use logmein.com and it allows me in for 30 seconds or less.

4) drops my wireless signal at random times

5) does not bridge well with my Speedstream 4200 or 5200 modem from my DSL company.

So what do you guys think? Should I get 3rd party? I tried ww-drt a while back but it looked way to out there for me and put back the orginal linksys stuff.

Don't you just wish that they had router diagnostic software like they make hard drive testers?

It could always be the router going bad. I had a magnavox which kept dropping signal every day and had to be powered off and back on to connect and it would work for another day. Eventually it became a brick and even the reset button did nothing.

It could be heat, is it in a location where it is not in sunlight and gets adequate airflow?

I also would try using the reset button and re configuring everything and seeing if that helps.

Do you have it plugged into a UPS with automatic voltage regulation/ line filtering ? A small voltage spike to small to trip a surge supressor could have damaged it and be the root of the issue.

Or it may just be dying .

Some folks get many years out of a router, others see them fail fairly early in life.

Might also check your routers system logs to see if it lists a cause of the error like the firewall blocking traffic due to some perceived threat.

Edited by Pete_C

Air flow = Good

Reset button = tried, same results,

UPS = no but sure that is not an issue

Don't you just wish that they had router diagnostic software like they make hard drive testers?

It could always be the router going bad. I had a magnavox which kept dropping signal every day and had to be powered off and back on to connect and it would work for another day. Eventually it became a brick and even the reset button did nothing.

It could be heat, is it in a location where it is not in sunlight and gets adequate airflow?

I also would try using the reset button and re configuring everything and seeing if that helps.

Do you have it plugged into a UPS with automatic voltage regulation/ line filtering ? A small voltage spike to small to trip a surge supressor could have damaged it and be the root of the issue.

Or it may just be dying .

Some folks get many years out of a router, others see them fail fairly early in life.

Might also check your routers system logs to see if it lists a cause of the error like the firewall blocking traffic due to some perceived threat.

I have a Linksys WRT54G v2.0 wireless router and ever since I changing the firmware I do not experience connection drops or lockups. I used the Sveasoft Alchemy firmware, but DD-WRT is also available which reveals a lot of features in the router.

If you do not like the new firmware after taking it out for a test drive you can always revert to Linksys stock firmware.

and I did that once already. I am just not sure what I want to do. I want this SOB to work and not be a crap hole that it is now.

I have a Linksys WRT54G v2.0 wireless router and ever since I changing the firmware I do not experience connection drops or lockups. I used the Sveasoft Alchemy firmware, but DD-WRT is also available which reveals a lot of features in the router.

If you do not like the new firmware after taking it out for a test drive you can always revert to Linksys stock firmware.

Exactly what goes wrong?

Does the ethernet still work and just not the wireless?

Does the router loose communication with the internet (modem) or with the computers, or both?

What solves it , cycling power on the router, on the modem, on the computer, on everything?

Are there any possible RF interference sources? (Cordless phones, wireless mouse and keyboard, microwave oven, CB / Ham radio station....)

I stated what goes wrong in the orginal topic post. nothing right now seems to solve the problem right now.

Exactly what goes wrong?

Does the ethernet still work and just not the wireless?

Does the router loose communication with the internet (modem) or with the computers, or both?

What solves it , cycling power on the router, on the modem, on the computer, on everything?

Are there any possible RF interference sources? (Cordless phones, wireless mouse and keyboard, microwave oven, CB / Ham radio station....)