Hello Everyone:

I know that there is another thread in this forum that is talking about Camera Advice, but I did NOT want to hijack the thread, because I wanted to make my own :)

I had listened to the Call for Help show that Jeff did with Usrbingeek (Steve) and took alot away from that show. The information provided about the differences in SLR and Non-SLR cameras was invaluable - I had been considering the purchase of a new camera since my old Olympus Camedia C-50 Zoom (5MP) Camera died, and could not be repaired - I think the flash died, and since this camera had no flash, I had really terrible pictures, that were all DARK and not useful.

In December of 2007, my mom had decided to get a new digital camera as well. What happened was that she had a Cannon PowerShot Pro 1 SLR Digital Camera, that was like 9-10 MP's and while she likes that camera, she bought the new one because she does not want to carry a big camera if she wants to take pictures on vacation somewhere, or if she simply doesn't want to take her Cannon.

She bought the Sony Cybershot DSC-W80. My brother was getting married on December 15, so my mom let be borrow her Sony Camera so I could take pictures at the wedding. I liked that camera, and wanted one of my own. Thursday, I went to Walmart and while looking around I found the DSC-S730, and the camera that was one better then that. Mine was about $129. The next one up was about $239. I decided to get the DSC-S730.

She is a 7.2 MP Camera with a 3X Optical Zoom High Sensitivity ISO 1250 with a 2.4" LCD Screen.

My Rig is as follows:

Camera: Sony Cybershot DSC-S730 Digital Still Camera

Case: Sony Cybershot LCS-CSQ Soft Carrying Case

Mem Stick:Lexar Memory Stick Pro Duo 2Gig Capacity

Cables: 1 USB 2.0 Connection Cable

1 AV cable

To carry all this stuff, I have a larger Tamrac Camera Case that the Cybershot and its case can fit into, and on the outside of this case is a pocket big enough to place the cables into. The Camera comes with the Picture Motion Browser which is slicker then ice, and is pretty awesome, and on that CD is a couple guides to get started.

I want to get a tripod so that I can take better pictures. The idea here is that this camera will replace all others I have owned to date, and If I take good care of her, she will take good care of me. I don't know if my camera can do rechargeable Li-Ion Batteries, but she takes 2 AA Batteries, so I will look into this.

Does anyone have any ideas on what sizes of tripods are available? Just curious

Brian

Worthwhile tripods don't come cheap but they're well worth the investment as cheaper ones simply don't last. If you buy a cheap one you'll end up rebuying and only spending more money in the long run. I've seen it time and time again.

Acceptable full size tripods start around $100. Look for ones that have no more than 4 leg sections. Bogen-Manfrotto is a very good brand and I highly recommend their tripods as they use quality materials and are designed well.

Avoid the Velbon, Sakar, SunPak, Opteka, Vanguard, and Quantaray brands! They're very cheaply made and tend to break after only a few uses, no matter how careful you are at handling them.

If you want a small table top tripod or that can even attach to trees, railings and other objects, check out the Joby Gorillapod Flexible Tripods. Very neat, work well, and while cheap, they last.

I have a selection of tripods that I recommend on my web site at: My Recommended Tripods

All the best,

Town and Country Photographer

Steve Mermelstein

Worthwhile tripods don't come cheap but they're well worth the investment as cheaper ones simply don't last. If you buy a cheap one you'll end up rebuying and only spending more money in the long run. I've seen it time and time again.

Acceptable full size tripods start around $100. Look for ones that have no more than 4 leg sections. Bogen-Manfrotto is a very good brand and I highly recommend their tripods as they use quality materials and are designed well.

Avoid the Velbon, Sakar, SunPak, Opteka, Vanguard, and Quantaray brands! They're very cheaply made and tend to break after only a few uses, no matter how careful you are at handling them.

I have a selection of tripods that I recommend on my web site at: My Recommended Tripods

All the best,

Town and Country Photographer

Steve Mermelstein

Steve:

Thank you for your advice regarding tripods. I am looking for one primarily because the Sony Cybershot is a small camera, and I want to be able to take professional-looking photos at family getherings and be proud of the fact that I took them. 99% of the time, when on crutches, it is hard to be stable when you have to hold the camera still: I basically am standing on twp metal poles myself, so standing and taking pictures and also holding the camera makes me lean forward a little too much - A Tripod would allow me to have the stability that my crutches would not when taking pictures.

If you want a small table top tripod or that can even attach to trees, railings and other objects, check out the Joby Gorillapod Flexible Tripods. Very neat, work well, and while cheap, they last.

I will check out the Joby Gorillapod Flexible tripods and see what this brings. When my Stepdad had a full Camera Rig, he had a Yashica Camera, Flash, Bag and the Lenses and this tripod that looked like a big long black tube. While his rig was more extensive then mine, and his bag was longer (and heavier then mine) He had everything available to him. His old Tripod was a special one, because it could extend to about 5' tall, and could be physically screwed into the ground. He could also mount the camera to the tripod and carry it around in his hand when indoors, so he would not have to hold the camera body.

This Cybershot camera is the second camera I have purchased. I have owned a Kodak 110 Camera, a Kodak VR35 (35MM) and a Nikon film Camera. (The First one I ever purchased myself) I have also owned a Finepix 1300 Digital, an Olympus Camedia D-340R, and an Olympus Camedia C-50 Zoom Digital Camera.

SLR cameras are something that I would have to study, and maybe I will learn something from watching my mom do what she does. Her Powershot Pro 1 is a REALLY SLICK camera, but I would be nervous about playing with the settings, but over the last 5-10 years I have learned one thing about cameras: You get what you pay for, and if you take could care of it, it will take good care of you!!

To that end, I have 2 cases. One fits the Camera and the Memory Stick Pro Duo Card and case, and the other holds the AV and USB cables and the Cybershot case. Both cases allow me to bring the rig anywhere, and to connect to family computers or whatever I need to do. The only downside is that I am not sure if the DSC-S730 has a Charger like the DSC-W80 - I was told to go Li-Ion for the camera, which takes AA Batteries - That will be something I investigate.

Thanks again steve :)

Brian

Hey I just noticed you're in Vermont too? I'm in Burlington. Are you stationed at Station Burlington?

Steve:

My brother Daniel is a BM2, USCGR - Stationed at Station Burlington. When Dan became Active Duty CG, I wanted to show support to him and others that protect us from the bad dudes that lurk around the US and abroad. Dan has served in the Coast Guard for 8+ years, and the CG Avatar and the "Semper Paratus" are my way of showing that support. I am proud of him, and others that do this important, and sometimes dangerous job. I got a hat and a Rate pin from the CGC Tahoma, which is the last boat he had active duty aboard, and it is the Boatwains Mate Rate Pin (Crossed anchors) - Tahoma is also in my Sig Below, and she is in front of Lady Liberty :)

I live in Barre, 7 exits from you. I attended Champlain College, so I am familiar with the area, and my late grandparents lived in Wiliston, so I have traveled to Burlington many times.

Take Care Steve :)

Brian

I have a really old Slik u212 thats a little heavy but great if I don't travel far. I also have a cheap Slik about $30, it's flimsy but travels well, I broke the crank handle off but still does the job.

Get yourself a beanbag, I carry one everywhere, small and conforms to any surface and holds the camera steady enough even for moderately slow speed shooting.