Gub'ment Cheese!

Dangit! I appear to have gotten my tax rebate THREE DAYS AGO. Someone at work said they got theirs so I went online and checked my account: $600 credited on 4/29. On 4/30 I had to fiddle with my finances to pay some bills, I sure wish I'd known I was $600 richer than I thought.

I knew it was supposed to come early but, last Tuesday? :blink:

not even sure if I'm qualified to get diddly squat. If I do get anything it'd be 300 but I kinda doubt it since I live with my parents.

* looks like if I do get it, it will be on Monday the 5th.

Edited by Honda_Boy

Already spent. It didn't even cover my truck payment. Heck it wouldn't cover two weeks worth of gas. I wish the government would switch to a flat tax of say 10% of gross. On top of that make the Social Security tax rate a flat 5% of gross with no cut off point. That should give them enough to run the country and make SS solvent. I would even go for a flat tax rate of 5% for state tax and let the states run themselves on that.

I got my 300 last monday ,i was close to getting 600 :wacko:

I'm talkin' about the economic stimulus cash, not Federal tax refund. It's $600 per qualified person, isn't it? If not, why did I get the six then? Not that I'm complaining!

not even sure if I'm qualified to get diddly squat. If I do get anything it'd be 300 but I kinda doubt it since I live with my parents.

* looks like if I do get it, it will be on Monday the 5th.

If you're a dependant, no, you don't qualify. If you aren't AND you filed a 1040 (or equivalent) then, yes, you get the cash. Lemme guess; it's goin' into the car? :rolleyes:

Already spent. It didn't even cover my truck payment. Heck it wouldn't cover two weeks worth of gas. I wish the government would switch to a flat tax of say 10% of gross. On top of that make the Social Security tax rate a flat 5% of gross with no cut off point. That should give them enough to run the country and make SS solvent. I would even go for a flat tax rate of 5% for state tax and let the states run themselves on that.

Steve Forbes ran a while back on a "flat tax" platform, look where that got him. Too many people are dependant on the status quo for that to ever happen, unfortunately.

-----

Edited by JDoors

ahhh, I won't get crap then. Oh well, not like it woulda got much with it. I might have got a strut bar and an intake. Or maybe tires instead. I get more than $300 in 3 weeks at my job any way so it's not like that's a huge amount anyway.

It is $600 per person, 1200 for a couple and 300 per dependent.

Youngsters as home need to talk to mom and dad about their cut.

I have not filed a return since 1990 and I get one by filling out the SS income line on the 1040 and printing stimulus payment across the top.

I see Dell has a Vista system for $399 as this weeks online special.

Or Staples has a 64 bit Compaq Presario lappy for $399.

Oh and speaking of cheese, I got my $40 coupon for an analog from HD converter.

I bought a Magnavox and paid $9 + sales tax out of pocket.

If you watch broadcast TV it is well worth getting.

Edited by tjet
... Oh and speaking of cheese, I got my $40 coupon for an analog from HD converter.

OH! I forgot about THAT gub'ment cheese. Why, they'll turn me into a government-dependent liberal yet! :D

I have the coupon but haven't used it yet. Where'd you get the box that cheap?

Dangit! I appear to have gotten my tax rebate THREE DAYS AGO. Someone at work said they got theirs so I went online and checked my account: $600 credited on 4/29. On 4/30 I had to fiddle with my finances to pay some bills, I sure wish I'd known I was $600 richer than I thought.

Look at it this way and you may not be so pleased.

This is not a gift or grant, they borrowed money from China to give to you and sooner or later taxes will have to rise to pay it off with interest. Of course it is probably at a better rate than you could get from a credit card company or even on a mortgage these days.

... Oh and speaking of cheese, I got my $40 coupon for an analog from HD converter.

OH! I forgot about THAT gub'ment cheese. Why, they'll turn me into a government-dependent liberal yet! :D

I have the coupon but haven't used it yet. Where'd you get the box that cheap?

I got it at Kmart while looking for something else.

I heard rumors that Wal Mart has one for $40 but I decided it was worth $9 to avoid that trip..

@Pete, yes people seem to forget at times that there is no such thing as a free lunch.

This is not a gift or grant, they borrowed money from China to give to you and sooner or later taxes will have to rise to pay it off with interest. Of course it is probably at a better rate than you could get from a credit card company or even on a mortgage these days.

Only one I have seen at Wally world is the $53 Magnavox.

Maybe they will have it on sale for less maybe not.

That's why I hinted at how I felt about it, that I'd have to "turn" my political views to fully accept this kind of weird economics. Another thought on the topic: I thought they were being clever to direct-deposit the money, hey, somebody's thinking, saving all that postage and waste! Then I got a letter explaining the direct deposit and other issues. They could have put the check in THAT letter since they were sending one anyway. Duh. Good to know, however, that it's not taxable, that wasn't entirely clear before.