[resolved] Google Apps Mail Migration

Hey guys!

I signed up for Google Apps and received the education edition for my non-profit university organization. Our website is hosted by Hostmonster and used to handle our webmail before we switched to Google Apps, which is neat indeed!

Anyway, sending and receiving mail through Google Apps works perfectly. The only thing left for me to do is to transfer mail from the main website to the Google-hosted accounts. I was reading about transferring via IMAP, but I do not know what software type to choose. How would I go about determining the software?

Thanks a bunch!

Edited by Falcon1986

Okay, I believe I figured it out.

I went into the /mail directory on the server and found folders that had 'Courier' in the folder names, so I took a chance and used this as the server software selection in Google's IMAP migration utility. After entering the details including usernames and passwords the transfers seem to be working. Yay!

Thankfully, I only need to transfer e-mails for 4 accounts which should total <10MB.

Edited by Falcon1986
  • 2 weeks later...

Quick update: Google Apps did a superb job of migrating mail from the source mail accounts on the web hosting server to the Google Apps accounts.

Just a couple more questions:

1. Can I now delete accounts off of the source web hosting server since all e-mail is being handled by Google Apps?

2. I would like for the URLs to reflect the website's domain name (with a subdomain for each service, e.g. http://docs.mydomain.org). I believe I will have to get my host provider to change the CNAME records since I don't see where I can do this in cPanel, but will these URLs mask all references to Google in the address bar?

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, Google Apps seems to be working just fine. E-mail gets in and out.

However, the only problem comes about when my Wordpress blog tries to send mail. Nothing gets to my Google Apps e-mail account, but when I check on my server's Horde accounts I see the e-mails are being received there.

What do I need to configure so that any e-mails sent from Wordpress are sent through the Google Apps accounts? I have been looking at the XPertMailer plugin, but since I do not know how to configure it for Google Apps I am not sure which settings I should be using.

Thanks.

Edited by Falcon1986

Got it fixed: LINK

Okay, Google Apps seems to be working just fine. E-mail gets in and out.

However, the only problem comes about when my Wordpress blog tries to send mail. Nothing gets to my Google Apps e-mail account, but when I check on my server's Horde accounts I see the e-mails are being received there.

What do I need to configure so that any e-mails sent from Wordpress are sent through the Google Apps accounts? I have been looking at the XPertMailer plugin, but since I do not know how to configure it for Google Apps I am not sure which settings I should be using.

Thanks.