Episode March 4th, 2008 Camera Suggestion Help!

Hey hope you can help, I'm stuck between 3 cameras!

I narrowed things down to Lumix DMC-FX35K DMC-LZ10K DMC-TZ5K

Google lead me to your podcast as it turns out your recommends these cameras too. Now out of the three what should I pick?

Most applications are night time club type events. Looking to also take video of night time performances.

DMC-LZ10K

Has most manual controls

Cheapest

DMC-TZ5K

Shoots HD

Most Zoom

DMC-FX35K

Highest Rated Lens

I'm leaning to the one with most manual controls but video is very important to me to.

Last camera - not sure how much the lens will make a difference.

Please help! Thanks!

I'm a big fan of the Lumix line been using a FZ20 for a few years. Manual control is nice but sometimes tough to implement on a small camera. The longer zoom on the T5K also not much good on a pocket size camera hard to hold still. Especially with the slower shutter speeds you will need as longer focal lengths mean smaller aperture. But it may be worth the better video quality. Defiantly a great pocket camera.

I just bought a Casio EX-S10, had I done more homework I think the FX35K would be my carry everywhere camera. If you need a good camera and the ultra portable size looks like a winner.

Hmmm not much help, well good luck.

Since you're going to be using the camera mostly in low light conditions, of those, the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ5K would be your best bet.

However I'd recommend that you look for an inexpensive Canon or Nikon DSLR, perhaps not the newest model, and also a wide 2.8F aperture lens as a 28mm or 50mm. It'd be much better suited for those conditions as all point and shoot models are going to have focusing and noise problems in low light conditions such in a night club. We're not talking about much more money if you go with an older body. I'd suggest a Nikon D50 or D40. Take a look at KEH.com if you want an excellent used equipment dealer.

All the best,

Town and Country Photographer

Steve Mermelstein

http://www.townandcountryphotographer.com/

Since you're going to be using the camera mostly in low light conditions, of those, the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ5K would be your best bet.

However I'd recommend that you look for an inexpensive Canon or Nikon DSLR, perhaps not the newest model, and also a wide 2.8F aperture lens as a 28mm or 50mm. It'd be much better suited for those conditions as all point and shoot models are going to have focusing and noise problems in low light conditions such in a night club. We're not talking about much more money if you go with an older body. I'd suggest a Nikon D50 or D40. Take a look at KEH.com if you want an excellent used equipment dealer.

All the best,

Town and Country Photographer

Steve Mermelstein

http://www.townandcountryphotographer.com/

Thanks Steve!

Really appreciate everyone's input. I think I"ll go with the FK and add a ring light + gorilla pod. The accessories will be small enough to pocket in a coat and dance with. I would of gone with the D40 but I need it to be pocketable enough to not slow me down. Just sold my Toshiba Gigashot because it was ALMOST small enough to take around all the time. Sometimes I'd leave it in the car