Windows No Longer Prompting

Hi everyone, I've gone to other tech forums and I get a couple of answers on this issue, it never gets resolved and they leave me hanging. I hope someone can help me here, but I understand you can only do the best you can.

For some reason Windows no longer prompts me when I insert a cd or dvd into the drive, or when I plug in a usb cable. For example, when I used to insert a DVD into the DVD drive I would get a small box that would pop up asking me which player I wanted to use. Now that doesn't happen, I have to manually go into my computer and open it up that way. Or, when I used to attach my digital camera via usb I'd get a box that would pop up asking me what I wanted to do, now that doesn't happen either.

I have gone into the dvd drive's properties and made sure it's set to prompt me under the auto play option, but it still doesn't work. I had another issue going on with my computer a few months ago, and the person at another tech support forum had me install combofix to do some things, after that is when the problem started.

What can I do to get it back to normal?

If you got the instructions for using ComboFix from a reputable tech support forum, it was probably to address malware infection issues if that was the suspected cause of your problem. Please only use these tools if told to do so by trained malware removal experts. You can cause serious harm to your PC if you or your instructor has no idea of what is being dealt with.

Now, onto the issue with Autoplay. I remember seeing settings for Autoplay in TweakUI. If using Windows XP you can download the TweakUI powertoy directly from Microsoft. After you launch the application, go to 'My Computer' > 'Autoplay'. Under 'Autoplay', ensure that all of the drives have a check mark beside them (even for drive letters you do not use) and that Autoplay for both CDs/DVD and removal drives is activated under 'Types'. If you want, you can also edit the 'Handlers'. Apply the setting changes and reboot your PC to see if they work.

If you got the instructions for using ComboFix from a reputable tech support forum, it was probably to address malware infection issues if that was the suspected cause of your problem. Please only use these tools if told to do so by trained malware removal experts. You can cause serious harm to your PC if you or your instructor has no idea of what is being dealt with.

Now, onto the issue with Autoplay. I remember seeing settings for Autoplay in TweakUI. If using Windows XP you can download the TweakUI powertoy directly from Microsoft. After you launch the application, go to 'My Computer' > 'Autoplay'. Under 'Autoplay', ensure that all of the drives have a check mark beside them (even for drive letters you do not use) and that Autoplay for both CDs/DVD and removal drives is activated under 'Types'. If you want, you can also edit the 'Handlers'. Apply the setting changes and reboot your PC to see if they work.

Thanks Falcon, I'm sorry that I forgot to give some specs. I'm definitely using Windows XP so I'll give this a try as soon as I can, and I will let you know how it goes.

And the ComboFix was definitely at the recommendation of a reputable tech person, but that's when the problem started. Could just be coincidence, but hopefully I just get this fixed regardless.

Ok so I added the TweakUI, followed all the instructions requested. Unfortunately the problem still persists.

I'm sorry that I missed your post originally BT, I'll also look at what your suggesting.

Edited by j760
Hi everyone, not sure if my last question was missed.

I was wondering if I can safely uninstall combofix? Thanks.

You go to start / run and type

combofix /u

hit enter (note the space between the x and /u)

If shown a disclaimer select 2

This should uninstall combofix, delete all backups of files it deleted and its related files and folders,reset your clock settings, hide file extensions, hide the system/hidden files and flush and reset your system restore .

You should double check that the folder C:\Qoobox and any logs C:\Combofix.txt are also deleted, but they should be gone.