Ubuntu 8.04 Predictions

I wrote a blog entry on my predictions for Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy Heron) and figured I would share it here since I'm not sure how many of you actually venture off to the home page to read my blog. ;)

You can find the blog here: Ubuntu 8.04 Predictions

If you have a digg account feel free to digg it here too.

B

Very solid predictions, Jeff:-) I posted a comment. :)

I found that dual monitors works great with DVI monitors. no editing just use the gui and set it, you have to restart X (ctrl-alt-backspace if your like me or logout if you need to do it correctly)

VGA monitors I had lots of issues, but they turned out to be the profiles for the monitors were wrong..

also different size monitors is an issue.. for those instead of doing xenarama I had it do a new server on each screen, you can't drag apps from one screen to the next, but you can start them on the different screens..

what were the problems with Google talk? I have not tested it, but I am thinking it was issues with the Mic, I 'll be glad to look into it...

also Marty has raised the issue on how to install software (where to find it)

I am not sure what happened to his firefox, as it comes pre-installed. but under System->Administration there is Synaptic that let you search for and install packages..

I use almost exclusivity Ubuntu on my desktop and use NX to get to it at work.

what I need from windows is sharpdevelop. Monodevelop just sucks and I need for work to compile in Mono and .Net

everything else I do from ubuntu.

Audio well is done from the Mac.

I'll play with google talk and see what it takes to set that up, this is not the mixing of audio we talked about before is it?

I found that dual monitors works great with DVI monitors. no editing just use the gui and set it, you have to restart X (ctrl-alt-backspace if your like me or logout if you need to do it correctly)

VGA monitors I had lots of issues, but they turned out to be the profiles for the monitors were wrong..

also different size monitors is an issue.. for those instead of doing xenarama I had it do a new server on each screen, you can't drag apps from one screen to the next, but you can start them on the different screens..

They are connected via DVI and are the same size - 2 20" Acer Widescreens

what were the problems with Google talk? I have not tested it, but I am thinking it was issues with the Mic, I 'll be glad to look into it...

I'll play with google talk and see what it takes to set that up, this is not the mixing of audio we talked about before is it?

I was following this thread which required some editing in terms of the wget'ing files as there are new versions. When it came time to ./configure it kept throwing dependency issues at me. I will go boot up Ubuntu right now and see if I can show you where I got stuck at and perhaps you can tell me what I need to install to fix it.

And no, this has nothing to do with the mixing of audio like we discussed last time.

Thanks iccaros!

B

Hmm, so I decided to try the PSI route, but Ubuntu froze just as I was about to save the configuration settings. :(

I try, I really try to use Linux as a desktop OS but things like this just...urgh. I couldn't do anything, completely locked up.

B

I try, I really try to use Linux but things like this just...urgh. I couldn't do anything, completely locked up.

:) LOL, That happens to me all the time in windows.. :(

I have seen ubuntu completely lockup, but I have yet to lock my Gentoo box once unless I do a kernel Panic..

the thread is down for maintenance.. so I'll look at it tonight..

what did you do for dual monitor this time?

I should be home in the next hour, go to the gym, put kids in bead.. I'll find you an answer,

but I don't miss the point that me looking for answers makes this any better for you.

but I'll give you a story that may help the frustration if you think about it..

my wife who has used nothing but windows for, well lets says since the first version as there is no need to give out age. :)

she has used Firefox well before it was called firefox..

last year I bought her a Mac and she has been using it , even though the differences frustrater her. but she uses it everyday, and everyday there are less complaints. until yesterday, she goes to my laptop running ubuntu and goes to show me a web site that is not working on the Mac, it says it needs a plug in but not which one, so in my firefox she goes to open a tab. after 15 min she complains that linux is too hard for her to use and walks off. I see on the screen about 50 open terminals, so I wonder what she did. turns out she was hitting ALT-T to open a tab, but in my system that opens a terminal. when asked why she was hitting alt-t instead of ctrl-t she showed me, on the Mac the apple key is in the same place as the alt on most keyboards. and on the apple you hit apple-t to open a new tab..

so for most cases of it's too hard I see that its just different..

your issues are diffrent in that they do not work, but for most, its not too hard, just too different.

what did you do for dual monitor this time?

I ended up installing nvidia-settings, however, for some reason that wasn't able to save the xorg.conf file to /etc/X11/, so I copied the xorg.conf to xorg.conf.backup and then copied the nvidia-settings preview (what would be the new contents of xorg.conf) and just replaced my current xorg.conf with that those contents, saved it, and restarted X. Logged back in and it was working - that made me happy....until everything froze. ;)

B

Several years ago I was having frequent X-related lock-ups that (IIRC) I attributed to the NVIDIA driver. The system was still alive after most of them -- they weren't kernel panics -- but when X went down it took the keyboard, mouse, and display with it. I finally figured how to use the Magic SysRq to break out of X and restart it but I don't believe I ever found a way to completely restore the console. The problem went away eventually and hasn't recurred, though that could be because I'm using the NVIDIA legacy driver now.

Edited by jcl

X has always been a issue on the desktop, this effects not just linux, but BSD and other UNIX flavors.

I am waiting on Red Hat/IBM/HP to fix the issues, but they want to stay away from the desktop, and the head on with microsoft, and compete with the server side where MS is not as deep.

This is also why LDAP and Fedora directory sever is so hard to use. they have it to have something, but don't bother competing with AD.

ok, why not use the google talk gadget? http://www.google.com/talk/otherclients.html

this seams to work with my ubuntu out of the box and no software to install, you loose voice calls to other users, but you only get that if you gave the Google talk client and Google only made that work with windows.

I find it strange that they limited the gadget, its there choice, they could have made it do all the same things..

Sorry jeff, after looking this up I don't not see how this is a linux issues..

The issue with PSI is just bad packaging, that a lot of, and I mean a lot of projects are guilty of.

just look at the universal linux install for mono, simple

or the install for skype or even firefox, all easy, crossover office is even better.

why others can not be bothered is beyond me, except its Free, and Free comes at a cost sometimes.. but once you get free working.. most of the time it is as good or better than payed..

the universal installer project tried to fix this issue, but since there is not one person that linux distributions listen to as a whole, everyone gets to do it there own way, which is kind of the American Way (or Burger king but why go there) so again its Americas (United States America) fault again..

but thanks to sites like your, people can come and get help with these issues, which I must say have been very few and far for any real questions.. no like 3 years ago when if you missed the board for a day, there were at least 5 new questions..

thanks for the site Jeff and we will keep trying to help..

Edited by iccaros

I did try the Google Talk Gadget, however as you point out it does not have voice capabilities. While I recognize that is Google's choice to keep it Windows based at this time, apparently it is possible to get it working on Ubuntu according to that thread. However, as you saw the information provided in that thread for what should work, actually doesn't at least not that simply.

I finally got it to ./configure however now it errors during the make process - I can show you what it says if you would like to take a look.

I am not blaming Ubuntu or the Linux community for not having Google Talk voice chat support. That is Google's job if they so wish to provide it. However, I am frustrated knowing that you can (supposedly) get it working, but I've had an extremely difficult time doing so. As for not using Skype, I prefer Google Talk just based on my overall experience with using both applications (Skype and Google Talk).

Edit: I'd just like to make note that I would be having the same frustrations and issues if I found a thread stating I could do the same on OSX and it did not work as it should. So this issue I'm not saying is a Ubuntu problem, not in the least. My frustration comes from knowing it is (supposedly) possible to accomplish yet there have been so many issues getting it to function as claimed.

B

It looks like libjingle support was merged into Psi mainline and the psi-jingle branch died a few months after that post was written.

Edited by jcl
It looks like libjingle support was merged into Psi mainline and the psi-jingle branch died about a month after that post was written.

Yeah, that's what I gathered after some further reading (however, I wasn't sure) which is why I said I was trying to configure Psi.

B

ko, I am getting the source tree, it seams that libjingle was made part of the main brach, when I have it tested and done I will create a .deb so you can use apt to install, I will need tester to make sure I did not introduce non standard Ubuntu libs..

having problem with the build from svn attached is the tee of the make

build.txt

hi jeff

look what i found

is this what these posts are saying

i found it on internet news

some one has access to it

let me know if this is the one

ime not that experienced with this type of ubuntu

so any one with any info would be appreciated

\

http://ftp.uni-kl.de:80/pub/linux/ubuntu.iso/8.04/

Edited by martymas

I'm not running Ubuntu 8.04 at home, but, I found one unit at work to try it out on. I've got a P4 IBM Netvista at work that has stubbornly refused attempts to run Linux, that is, either the network card or the video card was not supported. Ubuntu 8.04 found all of the hardware on the unit so I happily removed XP and installed 8.04. Ubuntu uses more resources than Debian or Slackware, but, it is a good distro. :)

snapshot1-2.jpg