New problem. I have give up trying to fix IE7.

This evening I noticed my son's screen was black. I turned off the computer and then turned it back on.

No beep---No error screen. Screen still black.

I tried another monitor, another HD cable, same results.

Tried HD that I had installed xp on but at that time it would not let me activate it, same result.

Replaced cmos battery same result.

All fans are running and HD's do spin.

Does it look like the Bios chip has gone bad?

Edited by tman70
Video card or onboard video port crapped out.

BTW. I still use IE6 fully updated for when it is needed. I refuse to allow IE7 on my system.

The motherboard is:

ASUS A7N8-LA I believe.

Don't see a video card---only onboard video port.

Does this mean we will have to replace the motherboard?

Edited by tman70

BTW. I still use IE6 fully updated for when it is needed. I refuse to allow IE7 on my system.

The motherboard is:

ASUS A7N8-LA I believe.

You could try installing a video card to see if your problem is resolved. If you have one or know someone with a spare, pop it in, load the drivers and see.

The motherboard is:

ASUS A7N8-LA I believe.

You could try installing a video card to see if your problem is resolved. If you have one or know someone with a spare, pop it in, load the drivers and see.

Don't have any kind of card nor do we know anybody that does.

How do I determine what kind of card to get?

This is a HP/Compaq? You may have an AGP slot. In any case you should be able to install a PCI video card to test.

There is a AGP slot so would this cheap card work to tell me if it is the video?

ATI Rage 128 Ultra Video Card - 16MB, AGP 2x/4x, VGA, Video Card

Found someone who will mail it to me if it will work in his computer.

Presario SR1012NX

Motherboard is an ASUS A7N8X-LA

Thanks

If that ATI Rage is functional it will work to test the PC. Look up on HP's site on how to disable the onboard video once you can see again.

Thanks TT_75.

I'll call them to send it. As I understand it is supposed to be new in the box.

If it works we can then go for a better one. I'll post back with results in a few days.

Thanks everyone.

New problem. I have give up trying to fix IE7.

This evening I noticed my son's screen was black. I turned off the computer and then turned it back on.

No beep---No error screen. Screen still black.

I tried another monitor, another HD cable, same results.

Tried HD that I had installed xp on but at that time it would not let me activate it, same result.

Replaced cmos battery same result.

All fans are running and HD's do spin.

Does it look like the Bios chip has gone bad?

No beep I would go with , in this order

Bad power supply (ie not even the fan on the back spins up)=> Almost Eliminated as you say fans spin. Could still be dead on the voltage needed for CPU.

Bad CPU (Fans all spin, but no POST beep or video)

Bad Motherboard (same symptoms)

Unfortunately the simplest technique for testing is to put in a known good equivilant (IE you place your processor in a known good compatible motherboard and see if it POSTs, or you put a known good compatible processor in yours and see if that solves it).

So next would be "upgrade time, new cpu , motherboard, and RAM"

The Compaq power supply is 250 watts.

I have a power supply that I removed from an old Gateway.

It is Model number ATX93-3405. It is 185 watts.

Could I use this to check if power supply is the problem?

Possibly. As long as it has all the right hookups. I doubt that the Compaq requires that 250 watts. That 185 should get it. But to be on the safe side, just plug it into the motherboard only and see if it even POSTS.

Tried the other power supply but it did not make any difference.

I put the compaq power suppy back in and removed the ram.

Turned on computer and got one long beep. Replaced ram and got nothing.

Looks like I am down to the video, cpu or motherboard.

I had the exact problem happened to my AMD XP desktop. Light and fans were on. Power and reset switches didn't work and had to turn the power off from the power supply switch. I went as far as swapping in and out a good vedio card and nothing worked. I ended up replacing the motherboard and the cpu and reused the other old parts. As Pete said, there is no way for me to test the m/b and cpu since amd 462 m/b and cpu are hard to find. Now I have AMD dual core that costs less than the original AMD XP 2600. lol.

I had the exact problem happened to my AMD XP desktop. Light and fans were on. Power and reset switches didn't work and had to turn the power off from the power supply switch. I went as far as swapping in and out a good vedio card and nothing worked. I ended up replacing the motherboard and the cpu and reused the other old parts. As Pete said, there is no way for me to test the m/b and cpu since amd 462 m/b and cpu are hard to find. Now I have AMD dual core that costs less than the original AMD XP 2600. lol.

Did you replace the motherboard with the same number and what is the specs on your AMD?

My son's SR1012NX on compaq's web site, since that is the only way I can get any specs now, says his cpu is either:

AMD Athlon (B) XP 3000+ 2.167GHz *Advanced 333 MHz front side bus

or

AMD Athlon (B) XP 3400+ 2.167GHz *Advanced 333 MHz front side bus

So I don't know what he should get.

Has any one had any experience with a device called "CPU & Motherboard PC Analyzer Card?

I'm beginning to think he would be better off buying another discount computer for what he will end up putting in this one.

Did you replace the motherboard with the same number and what is the specs on your AMD?

My son's SR1012NX on compaq's web site, since that is the only way I can get any specs now, says his cpu is either:

AMD Athlon ( B) XP 3000+ 2.167GHz *Advanced 333 MHz front side bus

or

AMD Athlon ( B) XP 3400+ 2.167GHz *Advanced 333 MHz front side bus

So I don't know what he should get.

Has any one had any experience with a device called "CPU & Motherboard PC Analyzer Card?

I'm beginning to think he would be better off buying another discount computer for what he will end up putting in this one.

Since there is almost no parts for my AMD xp 2600 available, I replaced mine with AMD dual core 4400 and Gigabyte am2 motherboard. I bought them locally for less than $200 because I didn't want to wait for shipment. I bet you can buy them cheaper at Newegg.com. And I bought budget Crucial ddr2 667 one gb ram for less than $18 on sale. (A fraction of the price that I paid for the xp 2600 333 Mhz 512 mb ram) Then I reused the old parts like dvd, power supply...etc (I builded the computer myself). I spent about $200 and ended up with a better setup. Since your son's computer is HP/Compaq brand, it may be difficult to reuse old parts other than floppy drive. If you can't build one, it may be better to buy another discount computer. Sometimes, I see some clearance computers for less than $300 or $400 with Vista Home basic/premiem installed at Staples.com. I'm tempted to buy it just for the Vista o/s but I may have to sleep on the couch. You know how it goes. :) Check it out and act quick. It ususally is out of stock in seconds!

Thanks------The Dragon Slayer

I know absolutely nothing about how to mix and match cpu's and motherboard's.

My son wants to know if these two items would work in his SR1012NX computer.

He thinks he can get them for about $130.00. Is that a good price if it will work in his computer?

GIGABYTE GA-MA69GM-S2H SOCKET AM2/AM2+ MICROATX HDMI MOTHERBOARD

Brand GIGABYTE

Model GA-MA69GM-S2H

Supported CPU

CPU Socket Type AM2

CPU Type Athlon 64 X2 / Athlon 64 FX / Athlon 64

AMD dual core 4400+ 2.3 GHz processor / 1MB L2 Cache / 2000MHz HT / AM2 socket / support for SSE, SSE2, SSE3 and MMX instructions / Sixteen 128-bit SSE/SSE2/SSE3 registers

Thanks

Edited by tman70

I think gigabyte makes good quality stuff. The only thing that may be a problem with that board is it only has one ide channel(like the majority of the new boards). Onless your hardrive is SATA, you will need two IDE channels, one for the optical drive and one for the harddrive.

The following board may work for you. It has two weak points. One is it does not use pci express, it still uses agp. The onboard video chipset is kind of weak. If I use onboard myself, I like tho use one with an nvidia chipet.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813138038

the following asus board may be a better fit. It also has weak onboard video, but it does have pci express. Since it uses pci express, you can be a very inexpensive high-quality video card.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813131223

Keep in mind, you will also have to upgrade your ram to ddr2. That is not much of an issue. You can get a gigabyte stick for about $20

I think gigabyte makes good quality stuff. The only thing that may be a problem with that board is it only has one ide channel(like the majority of the new boards). Onless your hardrive is SATA, you will need two IDE channels, one for the optical drive and one for the harddrive.

The following board may work for you. It has two weak points. One is it does not use pci express, it still uses agp. The onboard video chipset is kind of weak. If I use onboard myself, I like tho use one with an nvidia chipet.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813138038

the following asus board may be a better fit. It also has weak onboard video, but it does have pci express. Since it uses pci express, you can be a very inexpensive high-quality video card.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813131223

Keep in mind, you will also have to upgrade your ram to ddr2. That is not much of an issue. You can get a gigabyte stick for about $20

Thanks shanenin

As I said before I know nothing about cpu's or motherboard's, so if my questions sound dumb just bear with me.

Do these boards come with the cpu installed or do I have to buy one?

If I do what kind(specs) do I buy?

Thanks

Thanks------The Dragon Slayer

I know absolutely nothing about how to mix and match cpu's and motherboard's.

My son wants to know if these two items would work in his SR1012NX computer.

He thinks he can get them for about $130.00. Is that a good price if it will work in his computer?

GIGABYTE GA-MA69GM-S2H SOCKET AM2/AM2+ MICROATX HDMI MOTHERBOARD

Brand GIGABYTE

Model GA-MA69GM-S2H

Supported CPU

CPU Socket Type AM2

CPU Type Athlon 64 X2 / Athlon 64 FX / Athlon 64

AMD dual core 4400+ 2.3 GHz processor / 1MB L2 Cache / 2000MHz HT / AM2 socket / support for SSE, SSE2, SSE3 and MMX instructions / Sixteen 128-bit SSE/SSE2/SSE3 registers

Thanks

Did you take a peep at my desktop? :) I bought the same motherboard and cpu combo you mentioned. I paid about $40 more locally 11/2 months ago. If you can wait, that price is a good deal. At first, I was looking at the ASUS board but the guy in the computer shop said this one was better. What do I know! I bought it. The combo works. But the issue is that does the motherboard fit into your comaq case? If not, you'll need a new ATX tower case. I have a 450 watt Antec power supply. You have to decide if your Compaq power supply can handle the new combo. Putting them together is easy, just follow the instructions. You or your son can do it if you can use a screw driver. It is that easy. Watch out for static shock though. I just touch the metal case before I install the parts. I put in the top of the line ddr2 ram at first, it didn't post. Then I put in the budget crucial cheap ddr2 667 ram, it booted right up and worked flawlessly. (Some thing to do with the voltage, make sure the ram is 1.8V). I also used the pci-e slot only because I have a spare pci-e video card hanging around. Happy building!

Yes you would need to purchase the cpu separately. Those boards I chose would work with the cpu, AMD dual core 4400+ 2.3 GHz processor, you mentioned purchasing. If you have a SATA harddrive, I think the Gigabyte board you mentioned would be a good choice.

Please don't hesitate to ask more questions to clarify anything :-)

Yes you would need to purchase the cpu separately. Those boards I chose would work with the cpu, AMD dual core 4400+ 2.3 GHz processor, you mentioned purchasing. If you have a SATA harddrive, I think the Gigabyte board you mentioned would be a good choice.

Please don't hesitate to ask more questions to clarify anything :-)

Thanks for all the help shanenin and all the rest of you who responded.

I got the (ATI Rage 128 Ultra Video Card - 16MB, AGP 2x/4x, VGA, Video Card) this afternoon.

The end of the metal clip was to short to connect to the back of the computer. So I just took a pair of pliers and bent the end up straight and installed it.

After I hooked the monitor to it and booted up---it worked.

So it was the onboard video that was bad.

I now am back to normal on his computer.

He was very lucky that was the problem. Now the people who sent it to me said if it worked to send them $10 or if it didn't, to send it back. I'll have to write them a check and get it in the mail.

As far as I can tell everything is working just like it was. Video's play good as far as I can tell. Will let him check more later.

I'll keep all the other information for later.

Again has any one had any experience with a device called "CPU & Motherboard PC Analyzer Card?

For about $20 I was wondering if it would tell me anything if I should have to go through this again.

Thanks everyone for all the help.