Any Of You Mechanics Have Experience With This?

I got home from school tonight and my S.O. told me the bad news that she drove the car 5 miles while the temp gauge was almost in the red.

I checked the cooling fluid, not much missing. I've been hearing a grinding bearing sound recently coming from the belt driven components. So now I'm assuming a bad water pump.

I have changed such on my Ford Ranger, but the Lexus looks inaccessable.

Anyone have any experience with this?

I dread finding out what the mechanic is going to charge me. :unsure:

Edited by irregularjoe
I've been hearing a grinding bearing sound recently coming from the belt driven components. So now I'm assuming a bad water pump.

If it's a serpentine belt, I'd suspect the idler pulley, first

Pop the hood and start it up. Listen closely as to where the noise is coming from. As the temperature rises make sure the fan starts and also that it speeds up as the car gets hotter. Pcik up the Chiltons or Haynes manual for your Lexus and check out how to replace the pump. Another possibility is a stuck thermostat or leak. With the car cold remove the radiator cap then start it to see if there is circulation. Worst case scenario is a blown head gasket, cracked head or block.

I just realized what exactly you are working on. It shouldn't be too hard considering it's an N/A 2JZ-GE Inline 6. Be thankful you aren't having to work on a post 2000 Lexus. Just grab a repair manual or look up some stuff online (like Toyota Nation or something). At first I didn't notice it was a 93 SC300.

Note that you can get either an SC300, IS300, or MK.IV Supra manual for this (if you can't find the right one) since they all have 2JZ's in them. Just remember to read the instructions for the N/A 2JZ-GE and not the Turbo 2JZ-GTE (if there's a difference in the pump, I know the block slightly different).

Edited by Honda_Boy
Thanks for the replies.

Turns out it was the radiator, fan clutch, and waterpump. As they say, trouble usually comes in threes.

It's been an expensive week!

I have a neighbor whose son is a Lexus Mechanic. He seems to make VERY good money.

Man my Honda Mechanic lives well (and he's not even at a dealer, he's independent). Any dealer mechanic can live well too. Actually my brother made really good money just working parts counter at a Mercedes Benz dealer.

Man my Honda Mechanic lives well (and he's not even at a dealer, he's independent). Any dealer mechanic can live well too. Actually my brother made really good money just working parts counter at a Mercedes Benz dealer.

I must be in the wrong business. :mellow:

Isn't that the way it always is? Just like checkout lines at the grocery; if you change though, it does not seem to be any better.

Isn't that the way it always is? Just like checkout lines at the grocery; if you change though, it does not seem to be any better.

:thumbsup:

Many mechanics that work at dealerships do not make that great of a living. They aren't really compensated for their time in training and the costs of their tools, neither of which ever ends. In the 80s my $13,000 invested in mechanics tools was considered basic for a dealership. To start out now you need to invest in over $30,000 just in your basic tools and something similar to a Masters degree in automotive technology with an advanced degrees in electronics and computers.