Vista. With SP1 now out, things run a lot better than before. My experiences and every experience I've heard of have been positive about Vista with SP1.

Also, you get longevity with Vista. While XP is still great, you can't stick with it forever. (yes I know a lot of people had 98 for ten years)

Also, you've got a pretty strong system there. It can certainly handle Vista.

Vista. With SP1 now out, things run a lot better than before. My experiences and every experience I've heard of have been positive about Vista with SP1.

Also, you get longevity with Vista. While XP is still great, you can't stick with it forever. (yes I know a lot of people had 98 for ten years)

Also, you've got a pretty strong system there. It can certainly handle Vista.

98 is available now? Maybe I should upgrade from 95. :o

Well, you have 4GB of RAM and Vista x64 can use all that but my experience with x64 was HORRIBLE. I despise it but tI have no qualms with the x86 version though. I have the 32-bit version of Home Basic on my laptop and actually really like it. I suggest either XP Pro or the 32-bit version of Ultimate despite the RAM. 3.25GB is still plenty.

Well, you have 4GB of RAM and Vista x64 can use all that but my experience with x64 was HORRIBLE. I despise it but tI have no qualms with the x86 version though. I have the 32-bit version of Home Basic on my laptop and actually really like it. I suggest either XP Pro or the 32-bit version of Ultimate despite the RAM. 3.25GB is still plenty.

I have had no issues aside from manufacturer (software and hardware) driver issues, however, even those have been limited. One could blame MS for their silly driver signature compatibility in Vista x64, however, it's also the manufacturers job to make the apporopriate drivers for the operating system.

Anyway, I've been using Vista Ultimate for over a year now (both x86 and x64) and I haven't had any major issues with it. The Service Pack that was just released for Vista has made some major improvements (from what I've seen) in stability, compatibility, and reliability.

I also agree with what Matt said, XP is nice, however, as noted it will not be around forever.

B

I am still just selling new XP computers in my shop. Xp runs great on a dual core Athon with a GB or ram. Unless a customer requests Vista, I will probably keep selling XP till Microsft does not offer it anymore.

By the way, If I purchase a quantity of OEM XP OSs, can I keep selling these with new computers after June 2008, the date Microsoft is officially quits selling the OS?

I have had no issues aside from manufacturer (software and hardware) driver issues, however, even those have been limited. One could blame MS for their silly driver signature compatibility in Vista x64, however, it's also the manufacturers job to make the apporopriate drivers for the operating system.

Anyway, I've been using Vista Ultimate for over a year now (both x86 and x64) and I haven't had any major issues with it. The Service Pack that was just released for Vista has made some major improvements (from what I've seen) in stability, compatibility, and reliability.

I also agree with what Matt said, XP is nice, however, as noted it will not be around forever.

B

Well it ran like total crap on my system too aside from driver issues and other things. It was like having bad gas in my car. Sputtering, delayed response, took ungodly long to do anything (in comparison to my XP install), it just ran like crap and other stuff annoyed the hell out of me. XP 32-bit was far less hassle and performs infinitely better in every way. NOW, I have 32-bit Vista on my laptop and it's just fine. I like it. In fact I LOVE it. It responds relatively quick for what it is (Celeron 440, Intel 945G, 1.5GB RAM), it's rock solid and everything works. Just the security stuff is annoying and unzipping .zip files takes a while (I usually use WinRAR instead since it's faster than Vista's unzipper). Other than that I love it (particularly being able to change the theme's color on the fly to match wallpapers).

I have Vista Home Premium on my laptop and haven't had any problems with it.

But whats the difference between Home and Ultimate?

Ultimate gives you some extras. Like Bit Locker, Animated Desktops (Windows DreamScenes). also a few other things such as, more control over security functions. More MMC Plugins.

And the feature I really like. A full system backup. (which I used a couple of times testing earlier versions of SP1) You can make a full ghost copy backup of your Vista install, so if something goes wrong. You can completely restore everything back to the original time of the copy. It will automatically reformat and reinstall the entire thing. Including any and all programs. Just try to recopy/upgrade the backup every few months to keep everything up to date. You don't even have to remove the old backup, it will compare the old copy and just replace what has changed. You can save the backup however you like. To a second partition, an external device, or make a set of DVDs with the complete backup on them. And you don't have to worry about Vista Activation using the full saved backup.

I have yet to find a good reason for me to Switch from XP. I have several friends that purchased new machines with Vista and have requested XP be installed on it.

Most say it is just different enough to ruin productivity but they admit if they wanted to they could learn to live with it even be just as proficient, But in my oppinion if I wanted to hit the ground running with a new system I would do it better with XP but it is just an oppinion. You already have a flavor or Vista so your experience may be different from mine.

Preston

Edited by rhema7
Well it ran like total crap on my system too aside from driver issues and other things. It was like having bad gas in my car. Sputtering, delayed response, took ungodly long to do anything (in comparison to my XP install), it just ran like crap and other stuff annoyed the hell out of me. XP 32-bit was far less hassle and performs infinitely better in every way. NOW, I have 32-bit Vista on my laptop and it's just fine. I like it. In fact I LOVE it. It responds relatively quick for what it is (Celeron 440, Intel 945G, 1.5GB RAM), it's rock solid and everything works. Just the security stuff is annoying and unzipping .zip files takes a while (I usually use WinRAR instead since it's faster than Vista's unzipper). Other than that I love it (particularly being able to change the theme's color on the fly to match wallpapers).

If by security stuff you mean UAC (User Account Control) that can be disabled, open the "Start Menu" and click on your picture at the top of the main menu to open up "User Accounts".

Click on "Turn User Account on or off". Then un-check "Use User Account Control (UAC) to help protect your computer".

Click "OK" and exit. This will turn off all the User Account Contrpl (UAC) after you reboot.

However, with that said, there are ways than just completely turning it off which are more recommended. See this post by JSKY for more information:

Adjusting User Account Control (UAC)

B