Ie7 Will Not Open After Install

Try uninstalling Windows Update "kb942615". Now see If you can then use IE7.

There have been reported problems I found searching with this update. But the boys at MS think all those posting it are crazy, and that it's some form of melware infecting IE6 that's not compatible with IE7. They insist it's not in the browser or the update.

It is a security fix for SP2. SP3 might solve this problem.

Thanks JSKY. Uninstalled KB942615 rebooted twice. Installed IE7 from MS update, rebooted twice and still get error message.

I think it must be something in the settings. I think if you go into the settings: Tools/Internet Options Connections and see what is listed in Lan settings you might find a problem. Automatically Detect settings is the only thing I would have checked. Even try to Reset the Advanced Settings. Just in case something is getting transfered over from IE6 that IE7 doesn't like. Again try going to another site when you get the message use www. and see if that helps.

I think it must be something in the settings. I think if you go into the settings: Tools/Internet Options Connections and see what is listed in Lan settings you might find a problem. Automatically Detect settings is the only thing I would have checked. Even try to Reset the Advanced Settings. Just in case something is getting transfered over from IE6 that IE7 doesn't like. Again try going to another site when you get the message use www. and see if that helps.

Automatically Detect Settings had a check mark so I unchecked it and rebooted. 7 still won't connect. Uninstall 7 and go back to 6 and reboot, then reinstall 7, same results with either check mark in or out.

I can try www.msn, microsoft, yahoo, google or besttechie and it just sets there trying to connect with no results.

I saved a copy of wpa.dbl to a floppy.

I took my copy of xp-sp2 Home and installed it on his spare HD. Did not activate and finished install and then went to safe mode. I renamed wpa.dbl and then installed original from floppy and rebooted. That didn't work as it ask me to activate xp to get updates. I thought replacing the wpa file with the original would bypass the re-activating. Guess my legal copy of xp that I bought will only work on my computer.

There are two files you needed to save. "wpa.dbl" and "wpa.bak"

You need to save both of them files to reactivate without going through MS. But it will have to be the same computer and hardware configuration to work. Any XP disk should work as long as it's Home to Home, Or Pro to Pro.

There are two files you needed to save. "wpa.dbl" and "wpa.bak"

You need to save both of them files to reactivate without going through MS. But it will have to be the same computer and hardware configuration to work. Any XP disk should work as long as it's Home to Home, Or Pro to Pro.

Thanks JSKY. I wondered if i should have copied the bak file but the instructions I had saved a long time ago only had the dbl file listed.

He has no xp cd as his computer only has a recovery partition.

I will try again tomorrow when my son goes to work. I would like to make a fresh install and then see if 7 will open before I do anything else.

OK-- I went to the sys32 folder and scrolled down to wpa.dbl and copied it to the floppy, but could not find a wpa.bak file nor could a search find it. Hooked master HD back up and searched for it there to no avail. I know I saw a bak file the other day.

I then hooked up spare HD again and installed xp-sp2 home from my cd.

After install went to safe mode, renamed wpa file and then copied original wpa to sys32 folder.

Rebooted and it still wants to activate before I can download updates.

Ran Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Tool and the product key did not match the key on the case. This unit was bought factory new from discount store more than 2 years ago and all updates are current except IE7.

Could this be the reason I can't use my xp cd to activate?