Formatted Xp, Plug-n-play Issues

A while ago, I formatted my step-dad's laptop and reloaded XP (Home) on it. Since then, we've been having issues with plug-n-play devices. To put it bluntly: they don't work.

I assumed that this was because after the reinstall, we didn't install whatever Windows needed for plug-n-play. We went into Add/Remove Windows Components -> Network -> Universal Plug-N-Play and installed that from the disc. Then, we went into Adminstrative Tools -> Services and set Plug-N-Play and Universal Plug-N-Play to Automatic. Still, whenever we try using a device, it either asks for an installation disc, or says it installs but it still fails to work.

In particular, we're trying to get a wireless pointer/powerpoint device to work. It worked fine before the format (Sorry, I can't recall the brand or model, I'm not at home right now). I went to the manufacturer's website, and it says it is Plug-N-Play, and that there are no drivers available.

I'm really at a loss here on what else to try.