Help ... Can't Get To Regular Site ...

Hello ... I have been trying to get to one of my regular sites for weeks but when I tried I get this message.... :angry:

The connection has timed out

The server at www.rollitup.org is taking too long to respond.

* The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few

moments.

* If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network

connection.

* If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure

that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

Now I know for a fact the site is not down ... today while visiting my mom I tried on her computer and had no trouble ... I have firefox and IE6 .... my mom has IE 6

Anyone have any idea what I can do to correct this ... :blush:

It's no joke ... why do you think that? I have a cable modem ... I'm connected all the time ... I'm using the local phone company as an ISP ... any idea what's going on?

Really? :rolleyes:

Anyway... my first thought was your ISP blocked it. For example, if it were a college network. However, I don't think a commercial ISP would. The internet isn't perfect. There may be a router or hub somewhere that isn't working properly. Do you have a freind in the same area (prefferably same ISP)? See if they can access the site.

Will IE load the site?

Reset cable modem?

Have software router?

It's no joke ... why do you think that? I have a cable modem ... I'm connected all the time ... I'm using the local phone company as an ISP ... any idea what's going on?

Really? :rolleyes:

Anyway... my first thought was your ISP blocked it. For example, if it were a college network. However, I don't think a commercial ISP would. The internet isn't perfect. There may be a router or hub somewhere that isn't working properly. Do you have a freind in the same area (prefferably same ISP)? See if they can access the site.

Will IE load the site?

Reset cable modem?

Have software router?

Nope ... no one in the area with the same IP that I know of ... NO my IE will not ... I get this ...

The page cannot be displayed

The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.

You probably know the rest of the spill ... :rolleyes:

By reset cable modem you mean unplug it? .... that's the only way I know ... but when I shut down the computer each night and turn off the power shouldn't that reset the modem each time?

... no ... I have no software router ...

Did you try it with IE6 on your PC?

Yes I did ... I get this with IE6.....

The page cannot be displayed

The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.

I have the free version of ZoneAlarm as a fire wall ... I turned it off ... no change ... :angry:

Is that the only site you're having trouble with, Spirittoo? If so, there's probably a quirk on the site's end and there's nothing you can do until THEY fix the problem.

As far as resetting the cable modem, no it doesn't reset itself when you turn off the computer.

Turn off PC

Unplug Cable Modem--the power cable is usually the top one

Wait one minute

Plug Cable Modem in

Wait till the lights quit dancing about

Turn on PC

Your cable modem has been rebooted!

Liz

Yes blim ... this is the ONLY site I am having trouble with ... how could it be the site when everyone else can reach it ... you can reach the site alright ... correct? ... that's the part I don't understand ... and when I shut down the power to the computer at night it kills the power to the modem as well ... so isn't that rebooting it everytime I turn the power back on? :blink:

Yes blim ... this is the ONLY site I am having trouble with ... how could it be the site when everyone else can reach it ... you can reach the site alright ... correct? ... that's the part I don't understand ... and when I shut down the power to the computer at night it kills the power to the modem as well ... so isn't that rebooting it everytime I turn the power back on? :blink:

Ive found a couple site over the years that I couldn't get to. I used to know how to trace the route to XYZ website. (hopefully someone else will wonder in that can tell you how) What I found was the signal just got randomly dropped at a hub. I used to not be able to connect at all to a certain web host. Drove me crazy. See if you can find out who hosts the site, can you get to any other hosted sites of there's?

NOTE: If you have customized IE settings. This fix will reset them all to default. And you will have to slowly set them all back to where they were. And you might also have to redo/reinstall/re-allow some ActiveX applications. you might also have to set your browser back to where you had it before. (if you moved things around or customized links).

Go and open up the "Tools" dropdown on your browser. Click on "Internet Options" then the "Advanced" tab.

Click on "Reset" under "Reset Internet Explorer Settings". Shut down IE, and then reopen.

Go back to the same area in "Tools" and click on "Restore Advanced Settings" Shut down and then restart IE.

This should clear whatever is stopping IE from opening up said website.

I think we are looking at two different IE ... I have IE 6 and when I go to the advance tab ... the only thing I have after the list in the box ... below ... there is a restore default tab ... I don't see the reset you describe :blink: ..

I clicked on the restore defaults ... shut down IE ... reopened it ... but still no luck ... it's got to have something to do with my ISP ... when I use a proxy I can get to the site ... :wacko:

Did you do anything at that site to get banned? It sounds like they may be blocking your ip address.

Nope I haven't been banned ... I wouldn't get the message I get if that were the case ... and when I go to the site under the proxy if I were banned ... it would be posted under my username ... and it's not ... :mellow:

Actually if they blocked you, you could get that message. If their server is set to not respond to your ip your computer would keep making request until it times out. However if you use a proxy the request is coming from a different ip address and allowing the handshake to take place and answering the request.

Like suggested earlier a traceroute could narrow this down.

I think with the nature of the site, your ISP may have very well blocked it. I know some ISP's block access to some sites and use of torrent programs and other programs.

I think we are looking at two different IE ... I have IE 6 and when I go to the advance tab ... the only thing I have after the list in the box ... below ... there is a restore default tab ... I don't see the reset you describe :blink: ..

I clicked on the restore defaults ... shut down IE ... reopened it ... but still no luck ... it's got to have something to do with my ISP ... when I use a proxy I can get to the site ... :wacko:

spittoo:

Its 5:35A EDT on 3/24/08, and I was able to get there using IE7 with default settings..........perhaps you should also investigate whether Malware/spyware/adware is the problem? Out HJT Team here is really good at this stuff.......There also is the possibility that your IP could be blocking it based on whatever reason your ISP may give.........

Good Luck!!

Brian

Edited by baker7
spittoo:

Its 5:35A EDT on 3/24/08, and I was able to get there using IE7 with default settings..........perhaps you should also investigate whether Malware/spyware/adware is the problem? Out HJT Team here is really good at this stuff.......There also is the possibility that your IP could be blocking it based on whatever reason your ISP may give.........

Good Luck!!

Brian

Yes I'm going to run my spyware ... I just updated spyblaster ... I will run spybot and adware ...

I think with the nature of the site, your ISP may have very well blocked it. I know some ISP's block access to some sites and use of torrent programs and other programs.

I will call my ISP provider and see if that is the case ...

Can you access the site if you click on http://67.201.13.36 ?

I tried it and got the same results ... I will run some more test and get back to you guys ... thanks

Have you cleared your Cookies, Temp and Temporary Internet Files folders for IE6 and cleared the cache for Firefox?

I just cleared the cookies in IE6 ... I'm new to firefox ... how do I clear the cache?

Also I talked with admin at the site and was told to type this ... tracert www . rollitup . org into run ... I did it show me things I didn't understand ... it's a tracer I see that, he said it would show me where I lose the connection ... any of you know how to read it? :blink:

and my time and date are correct ...

Edited by spirittoo