arogant expert

but are we all like that

i enjoy ubuntu now

but how long has it taken

ordinary users

to get to that position

these are my observations

marty

I think there is a large percent of Linux users use it as a hobby. Playing with the system, modifying things, making things work better then the last guy could. I think they find a problem as a challenge and want to make it work part for satisfaction and part to show off for people who care. I think free is a reason but for a very small percent many Linux users have some pretty powerful systems and could afford Windows and Mac.

Many Windows users are gamers and spend most of there time playing games for basically the same reason to do better than there peers and show off there skills. Some like to make them awful power point presentations that we all have to sit through. Some want to just surf and IM and don't even know what linux is or care.

I personally use my computer to do home recording and photography and a good deal of time wasting.

as an afterthought

has any one tried to install slackware

try it then you will enjoy the command line

marty

Marty:

I have a copy of slakware, and I think shes a version 3 - I think Ive had it since 1996, but I didnt have a machine to install it on, and I didn't know if slakware is still supported, because there are so many other types of Linux OS's out there. I've used Redhat, Slakware, Fedora, and now debian, and I think my server will be running etch. Linux has become more flexible and easier to administer, because there is more widespread use of the Web to support it. I used to use telnet way back when because there was no other way other then to RLOGIN to get to a server, and now we have SSH, and telnet is less secure.

I have learned alot about UNIX and Linux over the years, and I am fortunate to have friends that know how to do things with machines. In 1998, I was learning how to administer such systems, but I like the newer ways that you can admin the systems, because the installers make it easier to install and configure the systems. I hope to do my server install correctly, and be able to do the login from my backup machine once we get it set right.

Brian

I have a copy of slakware, and I think shes a version 3 - I think Ive had it since 1996, but I didnt have a machine to install it on, and I didn't know if slakware is still supported, because there are so many other types of Linux OS's out there.

You make an excellent point Brian. There are many excellent versions of Linux/Unix out there!

Use what works for you. They are all awesome! :thumbsup:

I posted the article because it hit home. I just use it because I enjoy playing with it(I like it as an operating system). I like building, breaking and fixing it. Linux is not for everyone, if you just need to use certain apps, it may not be the best fit for you(that is ok).

I posted the article because it hit home. I just use it because I enjoy playing with it(I like it as an operating system). I like building, breaking and fixing it. Linux is not for everyone, if you just need to use certain apps, it may not be the best fit for you(that is ok).

Well-said, shanenin! :thumbsup:

Well-said, shanenin! :thumbsup:

Agreed Shanein!! Another Reason to use Linux is for the Challenge

I love the challenge, and I hope to learn alot as I move forward - with a family like this, I cannot go wrong :)

Thanks for your help and encouragement :)

Brian

Edited by baker7
  • 3 weeks later...

haha exactly Baker. I have a powerful windows system that I rarely use. I just end up using linux on a old server and my laptop because its just so much more fun and thanks to all you guys, if I break something I have somebody to ask for help when Im about to give up :)

• 3 weeks later...

No, Linux is not the kind of fun I thought it was, and not the kind of fun you describe.

No, Linux was and is a necessity, created by Gates's antisocial personality and capitalist firm.

When Longhorn was announced, nobody envisaged that it would become the inferior product Vista proves to be, and nobody expected it to cost so much, twice, first for the OS itself, second for the hardware requirements.

So when Vista was announced, and since I had at that moment 8 pc's to manage, I got an uneasy gutfeeling: this is going to be difficult.

So, for 16 months now, I'm downloading and testing distro's and app's, and slowly I'm getting there. SOmetimes it is fun, of course, and often it feels as a pain. You know where.

And I'm getting there: all the pc's are in dualboot now, with Mint (Ubuntu), Mepis (Debian) or Granular (PCLOS). All loaded with CrossOver, running OfficeXP for the addicted (my wife and daughter). All with a clear and logical interface.

So now you know the real reason I use Linux.

But after all that, it's fun to run it. It always works. That's a big change. That's the future.

;-)

No, Linux is not the kind of fun I thought it was, and not the kind of fun you describe.

No, Linux was and is a necessity, created by Gates's antisocial personality and capitalist firm.

When Longhorn was announced, nobody envisaged that it would become the inferior product Vista proves to be, and nobody expected it to cost so much, twice, first for the OS itself, second for the hardware requirements.

So when Vista was announced, and since I had at that moment 8 pc's to manage, I got an uneasy gutfeeling: this is going to be difficult.

So, for 16 months now, I'm downloading and testing distro's and app's, and slowly I'm getting there. SOmetimes it is fun, of course, and often it feels as a pain. You know where.

And I'm getting there: all the pc's are in dualboot now, with Mint (Ubuntu), Mepis (Debian) or Granular (PCLOS). All loaded with CrossOver, running OfficeXP for the addicted (my wife and daughter). All with a clear and logical interface.

So now you know the real reason I use Linux.

But after all that, it's fun to run it. It always works. That's a big change. That's the future.

;-)

Hey welcome to the Linux forum and to Besttechie.net, capricornus! :D I've been winders free for some time now, I don't miss it:-)