Hi All,

I received a San Disk USB flash drive for a Christmas gift.

After I connected it in the USB port, the drive letter isn't appearing for that drive. My OS is Windows XP Pro.

I went to the website but it only had driver updates for Windows 98SE.

So, for now, I can't see how to load files on the flash drive.

Anyone know how I can see this USB device?

Thanks for your help.

Xp Pro should see the drive no problem. I drive has been used on many XP machines all recognized it. I have an Impact by Lexar. Check the Removable Storage in Service, it should be Automatic or manual. This can be found in Control Paneel/Administrative Tools/Services.

M

When you plugged the device in, did anything happen? You should have seen XP noticing there was a new storage device plugged in, and installing the drivers automatically for you. It may take a few minutes to get everything together after it has been plugged in, so please be patient with it. I've seen some computers actually take a while before the drive is actually showing up for anything as well....no matter how many times the drive has been plugged into that computer.

Also, make sure that the USB port you are plugging it into does indeed work properly.

Thanks Nerelda and mikeex.

I was able to find the flash disk in the USB mass storage file.

It was in g: directory (I guess this is the removable directory that comes with the flash drive).

I wonder whether or not there's a way to create a g: directory on my computer. That way I wouldn't have to go through the extra steps to find this thing.

Thanks again for your help.

I believe if you make a G:\ XP will change the jump drive letter to one that is available.

Thanks mikex:

I'm going to ask a really stupid question?

How do I make the G: directory?

Seems like more help I receive, more questions I ask --- geesh.

But I really thank everyone for their patience and time to explain.

Seems like more help I receive, more questions I ask --- geesh.

But I really thank everyone for their patience and time to explain.

Questions are a form of learning. If you ask the same question then you may not be learning, but that's not a problem either. Ask and we shall answer, hopefully correctly. LOL

G:\ drive will be a partition and that is not what you want. I think an easier solution would be a shortcut.

With the usb drive in and recognized, make sure usb drive is G.

On desktop right click new/shortcut. First screen is location, in your case it would be G:\ give it a name, bam you done.

test it.

let me know one way or another.

M

Hi mikex,

I made a shortcut on the desk top and named it G:\flash drive. I also saved it to my desktop.

When it clicked on it, it just opened up a folder containing my desktop icons.

I give up for now.

Going to call it a night and play around with this tomorrow.

Thank you again mikex.

Have a good evening.

Delete that shortcut.

Create a new one.

Right click on empty area of desktop. Select new/shortcut. First screen is location. type G:\ or browse for your jump drive. Next screen is to give it a name.

We will get this, don't give up.

M

mikex,

Had to come back before I called it a night to let you know that I found the solution to this frustrating event. It was right in front of my face - boy do I feel STUUUUPID!!

In the control panel, there's a list name entitled "Portable Media Devices". I created a shortcut on my desktop.

Now, when I dbl click it, it shows the flash drive.

I really thank you again for your kind and relentless patience.

Now I can call it a night with no stress.

:P

Take Care