Another Stupid Website

Yeah, I complain about this a lot. :rolleyes:

So Scott's, the fertilizer etc. company sends me an e-mail saying they've updated their site. So? Who doesn't do that? Oh ... They're requesting I sign in and change/update my profile.

I sign in and my account info comes up. Hmm, I must have given them my real name at some point (I never do that any more, must've joined ages ago). My "screenname" is automatically filled in as my last name (a no-no in my book), so I change the information, type in the password to confirm, and:

Error: First name field is not within accepted parameters

Error: Password field is not within accepted parameters

No explanation of why my previously accepted information is no longer allowed, no link to find out just what IS an acceptable format, just an endless loop of "no way Jose." I'm stuck. I could make up entirely new information and see if it fits the mystery parameters, experimenting until I find what they're asking for, but you know what? I'll just close the window and I'm outta there. Dimwits.

So Scott's, the fertilizer etc. company sends me an e-mail saying they've updated their site. So? Who doesn't do that? Oh ... They're requesting I sign in and change/update my profile.

I sign in and my account info comes up. Hmm, I must have given them my real name at some point (I never do that any more, must've joined ages ago). My "screenname" is automatically filled in as my last name (a no-no in my book), so I change the information, type in the password to confirm, and:

No explanation of why my previously accepted information is no longer allowed, no link to find out just what IS an acceptable format, just an endless loop of "no way Jose." I'm stuck. I could make up entirely new information and see if it fits the mystery parameters, experimenting until I find what they're asking for, but you know what? I'll just close the window and I'm outta there. Dimwits.

Don't you just love the ease of "customer service"?

A similar thing happened to me recently. I did get through to the idiots (not a fertilizer company....although they too sold $hit)

They suggested in an email reply that I call their 800 #.

I called, got the usual runaround with the "press one if you want to hear this message in Portuguese etc.".......and immediately hung up.

They probably gleaned my caller ID info......now I'll be getting sales calls all day from them. :rolleyes:

Edited by irregularjoe

Thanks for mentioning a potential liability from calling them. Got another e-mail urging I update my account. There was an 800 number prominently listed, in case I needed help updating my information. Now why would they think I might need to have a human walk me through something as simple as creating/updating an online account? Oh, right, because their site is poorly designed, that's why.

I thought maybe they figured out they suck and fixed it, so I tried again with identical results. I spent a little more time trying to find information on what it was they were expecting me to put in the various fields, but I couldn't find squat.

Hey, I don't care if they have the correct information in my "account" as long as I keep getting the e-mail newsletters telling me when it's time to perform certain gardening chores. I don't use their boards so (hopefully) my name won't be showing up anywhere I don't want it to.

Are you sure it's not a Phishing episode? Those guys are getting trickier and it could be you were directed to a "clone" site. I don't trust anything anymore.

Another good tip. Err, I did use the e-mail link (DOH!).

I wonder if e-mail filters would catch the ACTUAL source and reject it? I have it set so if the source is not in my address book it gets rejected entirely. I know they can spoof the headers, so, would that trick an e-mail filter too?

On the other hand (and to make myself feel not-quite-stupid), who would want my Scott's Lawncare screen name and password? There's no financial connection, so it's not "likely" to be a phishing attempt. I think. I hope. :blush:

edit: I just remembered, when I went to the site they ALREADY had my personal information (name & address). Though that's not exactly "proof" it was legit, it's evidence, and I'll take it.

-----

Edited by JDoors

Well it could be a phishing exploit, or maybe they pulled a G4. I remember all the fun folks had when they made it so if you tried to change anything it refused to change and then the other time where if you changed anything it locked you out of your account.

Was just a thought. I keep getting "update your info" stuff from Citibank, and have never done business there.

Yeah, I get the bank ones, or did until I fine-tuned my e-mail filter enough to eliminate them (though I occasionally peek in the trash to see what got rejected). I would NEVER answer a bank (or any other financial site) e-mail. But one I get regularly? That I only signed up to get the monthly e-mails? I'll be more careful though -- should'a used my 'favorites' link rather than the e-mail one just to be safe. Thanks for the reminder.

... maybe they pulled a G4. ...

:lol:

Actually, it looks like they DID! Still can't update, still no link to explain why my original info is getting rejected. Oddly enough, I can sign in using that information but if I try to update anything -- no dice. Yup, sounds like they pulled a G4!