Ftp Questions (other 2 Resolved, Thanks!)

Hi Everyone!

I have 3 problems that have bothered me for some time now, after some searching, I've still not found the answers.

1) FTP downloads (some work, some don't)

I use Avant Browser, Firefox, and IE (on a rare occasion).

One specific file that I cannot seem to download an FTP at, is the 'Norton Removal Tool' (no, I don't use Norton, but I do tech for others) ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_...emoval_Tool.exe I thought this could be a bad link, however, Major Geeks has the download available, and offers the same link.

Avant states that they have no FTP in the browser, Firefox fails to connect, and IE7 fails to connect. Didn't IE used to have FTP support? I would guess that Firefox has other add-ons, but have fireFTP installed.

I've also tried FTP clients: Ace FTP, Auto FTP, Core FTP, FileZilla, MySimple FTP, Smart FTP, Solid FTP, ... and others.

All seem to have the same problem, if I can download an FTP download, then all of them can download it.

2) Java program use

I've downloaded several java based programs. I keep the latest Java on my PC. Currently, Sun Java Runtime Environment (JRE) v6 Update 4. However, I've downloaded several java programs that don't seem to make sense: I don't find an installer, and I don't find an .exe or a link to start the program (in case it's a free standing/self contained program). I have used many java programs that had one or both of the installer and/or the .exe.

3) tar.gz & tar.bz2 formats

I've downloaded several files with these extensions. I don't think I've ever used these programs (unless I made a bootable cd with it). Are these a linux only format? The files open with winrar, without problem. But like java, I don't find a way to use the program.

Edited by Spaztech

ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_...a/removal_tools

I prefer to right click and save target as instead of just double clicking the link.

But it works for me just fine in IE, Opera, and Firefox.

2. Maybe an execuable jar file?

Not sure what other executable extensions java uses, but exe is not the only executable out there.

3. I think those tend to be linux tar files They are compressed installers.

Hi Pete,

I see you've made your rounds :thumbsup:

How do you find the time?

I appreciate your help.

1 In Avant & IE7, Right-clicking does the same as left-click, it stalls the browser for about a minute, then comes up with:

FTP Folder Error

An error occured opening that folder on the FTP Server. Make sure you have permission to access that folder.

Details: The operation timed out.

Firefox acted like it was going to download, then closed the downloader (without downloading anything).

FireFTP after about a minute stall states: 425 Can't open data connection /public/english_us_canada/removal_tools//public/english_us_canada/removal_tools

Hmmm, thinkin' maybe Zone Alarm, my firewall? I'll have to play with that.

2. That's the question, which file is an execuable jar file?

I can get into the folder, and have clicked on the files there, with no response.

3. I thought these were linux, but wasn't sure.

2. That's the question, which file is an execuable jar file?

The ones that java can execute ;) A JAR is a ZIP archive that contains a bit of metadata about its contents. AFAIK you have to examine the metadata to tell if a jar is executable. Easier to point java at them and see what it thinks.

I can get into the folder, and have clicked on the files there, with no response.

Try java -jar <file> on the command line. Not sure if the java utility will be in your standard path.

3. I thought these were linux, but wasn't sure.

.tar.gz and .tar.bz2 are themselves platform-neutral. They're much more common on 'nix than Windows, though. (.tar = tar archive, .gz = gzip compressed file, .bz2 = bzip2 compressed file.)

Edited by jcl

Hello Terrorist,

I thank you for all the info. I read and tried them all with no luck. Perhaps I misunderstood some instruction.

I checked for any ftp ingoing and outgoing options, and in Zone Alarm I don't seem to locate this option. I shut-down Zone Alarm and tested, it made no difference.

Your first link brings an interesting point, none of my 3 browsers ask for a log-in. I did not find the "File menu to select the “Open FTP in Explorer†option" that this site wrote about on this page. This seemed to stop the ability to continue any further.

The second link, I tried several ways to manipulate the URL for having the password in the URL, but no luck. I was trying: ftp://username:[email protected] only to get a 'cannot display webpage' error.

I know that the old explorer would automatically add an anonomous username and password, but don't remember them. Since I don't have a username nor password for the Norton site, I'm not sure how to get this going.

The third link, in my Internet properties, advanced tab, I have both of these checked: "Enable FTP folder view (outside of Internet Explorer), and, Use passive FTP (for firewall and dsl modem compatability). No change was done, these were already set like this.

The fourth link talks about the IE Cumulative Security Update having a registry entry of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\FeatureControl\FEATURE_WININET_FTP_FOLDER_VIEW_KB939653. Since this was not in my registry, I re-downloaded and re-installed the latest IE Cumulative Security Update. This did not help, for some reason this registry entry has not been added to my registry.

Edit: Also tried to manually type in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\FeatureControl\FEATURE_WININET_FTP_FOLDER_VIEW_KB939653 with the modified instructions. However, I think there is more missing than the registry key, nothing good nor bad happened.

Edited by Spaztech

Hello jcl,

I thank you for the input. I'm still a noob when it comes to java. One thing, you stated "Try java -jar <file> on the command line." Can you describe further? Is the command line limited to shutting down to DOS, or can it be run from the 'Run' window? When you state "java -jar <file>", how can I tell which file? (there's many) Also, you stated "Easier to point java at them and see what it thinks." I like easy, how is this done?

I don't have IE7, yet. I understand that it will be forced on my next update. FFrom what I have read this is due to a previous security update and their is a fix from Microsoft if you ask for it. I guess charges apply. Windows Explorer is supposed to work for all FTP.

Using Opera I have no problems with FTP.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/934376

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932562

Further reading states the problem is due to IE7 is no longer integrated with Windows Explorer? I still don't understand why your system cannot access FTP through Windows Explorer. Is there some other setting in ZA or hardware firewall that could be blocking it?

I have no external firewall, the windows firewall is off. I checked in Zone Alarm and see no seperate function for ftp. It only appears to have the ability to allow or block certain programs. Correct me if I'm wrong, perhaps I've overlooked something.

I haven't used ZA for several years. With Panda's firewall I can allow Inbound and/or Outbound permissions for all operating system programs.

When you try to use Windows Explorer to access the FTP URL does IE7 open and give you the error?

I thank you for the input. I'm still a noob when it comes to java. One thing, you stated "Try java -jar <file> on the command line." Can you describe further? Is the command line limited to shutting down to DOS, or can it be run from the 'Run' window?

Run "cmd" from the Run window. You should get a terminal window with the command line shell. It's not DOS but it's similar.

One potential problem is that the shell might not be able to find the java executable; in that case you'll have to figure out where Java is installed, locate the 'java' utility, and run it from there. (Another potential problem is that you might not have the java utility. I'm not sure what the best solution to that problem would be.)

When you state "java -jar <file>", how can I tell which file? (there's many)

Every .jar is potentially executable. You might be able to guess from their names which ones are most likely to contain the main parts of the programs you want to run. If not, you just have to try each one until you don't get an error about the .jar not being executable.

If there any .class files, those are also potentially executable, and you might have try them as well. Same method but you omit the "-jar" switch from the command line. (The .class files are the actual code. When java executes a .jar it extracts the .class files in the .jar and executes them.)

Also, you stated "Easier to point java at them and see what it thinks." I like easy, how is this done?

Try to execute them. If you can't, they aren't executable ;)

It's hard to believe that Java never caught on for end-user applications, isn't it?

Just wondering if you tried the download on a different computer?

Do you think the computer your using may have a infection that the removal tool is suppose to take care of.

And could a infection be blocking the removal tool from being downloaded?

Hello Terrorist,

Well, I appreciate the links to the Microsoft Hotfixes for ftp problems. I made the request for both of the downloads This morning had 2 e-mails to download these password protected files, so I downloaded, then installed. Did not fix the problem, nor did it appear to cause any problems, but now have a different error (worded different, same box).

Windows Internet Explorer

Internet Explorer Cannot Download

No Such Interface Supported

At this point I suspect the ftp login may have something to do with the problem, since I have not seen one login in all my testing. This used to pop-up automatic with the old IE, and it would log in anonomous if it wasn't changed.

Hello jcl,

I appreciate the 'cmd' info, I guess I haven't had much call for using it up to now. I noticed that you stated "the shell might not be able to find the java executable". Since I have installed it to my 'D' drive (trying to keep 'C' drive with only windows), this may be the or one of my problems. I'll uninstall, reinstall after work, then let you know what I find.

Hello iSteve,

No, I haven't tried another computer. It sounded like Pete might have tested the ftp download, he stated "it works for me just fine in IE, Opera, and Firefox". I use several anti-virus and anti-spyware programs (not at the same time), all state that my pc is clean. I've had this problem for years, have re-installed windows fresh for various reasons in that time, and my programs haven't scanned a virus/spyware yet. Not sure why I'd have a Norton removal blocker, since I have no Norton and since removing Norton would be what a virus or spyware might want.

Maybe this will help.

http://www.windowsitpro.com/article/articl...windows-xp.html

XP includes a built-in FTP service component that lets FTP clients connect to the machine and read or write files; however, this service doesn't install by default. To install the FTP service, perform the following steps:

• Start the Control Panel Add/Remove Programs applet (go to Start, Control Panel, then click Add/Remove Programs).
  • Select Add/Remove Windows Components.
  • Select Internet Information Services (IIS), then click Details.
  • Select the File Transfer Protocol (FTP) Service check box, then click OK.
  • Click OK to close all dialog boxes.

You can use the Microsoft Management Console (MMC) Internet Information Services snap-in to configure the FTP service (go to Start, Programs, Administrative Tools, then click Internet Information Services). After the snap-in starts, expand the computer name, then expand FTP Sites. A Default FTP Site will have been added. Right-click Default FTP Site, then select Properties from the displayed context menu to set options such as Home Directory, accounts, and anonymous access. To stop the FTP service, right-click the FTP site and select Stop from the context menu; likewise, select Start from the context menu to restart the service.

Also;

http://www.mvps.org/marksxp/WindowsXP/IIS/iis1.php

Hi Terrorist,

Well, I thought you really had something there, since the IIS was not installed on my pc, and when I installed it, the FTP service was found in the MMC. However, it appears (by both of the pages that you offered) that this is for an FTP server (not client). Since it was all installed, I tested it, no luck.

Well, at best this has been frustrating. I checked the links that you offered for ZA configuring, adding the DHCP and DNS servers ip's (found in the start, run, cmd, ipconfig /all) to the ZA trusted sites. Also did further searching, I have reset my internet securities to a custom lower than medium, and even added the norton ftp to the trusted zone. I found my router to have a firewall and it was on. However, it was set to accept ftp, both in and out. I turned of the router firewall, but made no difference.

Found the Wiki for ftp, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_Transfer_Protocol

it talks about port 20 & 21 being used on the server side, but haven't found mention of client side ports. Curious if I may need to make ports available.

Edited by Spaztech
Found the Wiki for ftp, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_Transfer_Protocol

it talks about port 20 & 21 being used on the server side, but haven't found mention of client side ports. Curious if I may need to make ports available.

The client ports are randomly selected. As long as you use passive mode it shouldn't matter. (The clients should use passive mode by default or fall back to it if active mode fails.)

I am wondering if it might not be a problem in folder options / file types

Open my computer go to tools/ folder options

Locate URL File Transfer Protocol

Select it

Select the advanced button

Make sure confirm after download is selected

Action should be OPEN

Hi Pete,

confirm after download is selected

Action is OPEN

Interesting. Watching a new series "Download: The True Story of the Internet", on the Science channel. They talked about the first browser, "Mosaic". In my interest, I did a search and found an ftp site: ftp://ftp.ncsa.uiuc.edu/. From this site I can download or copy to folder. I was able to download the Mosaic Browser and tested the latest version 3, it will open, but when crashes when I send it to a URL in XP. Might have to test it in '98.

However, the Norton site still doesn't work for me: http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/norto...&view=docid

Can anyone identify a difference? Can anyone verify that the norton ftp works?

Edited by Spaztech

As I posted yesterday, I have found that I can get into ftp sites, however, only in avant. Any links to IE, or windows explorer and I get the same errors as I have previously been finding. Even though I've changed the folder options/file types/URL File Transfer Protocol to avant, open, and openas (all opening avant), for some reason a right-click with-in an ftp page will attempt to open the windows explorer or IE (and fail/give error). If I add the (desired) ftp's folder name to the end of the current URL in the address bar, then enter, Avant goes right there. But, if I left-click the folder, or right-click/open the folder, the windows explorer attempts to come up and fails. It appears I have a complete block with IE and/or with the Windows Explorer.

It appears I have access to copy of the file by right-clicking on the file, then clicking 'Copy to Folder', and by 'dragndrop'. The right click and save target brings up no dialog box.

Kind of interesting, several ftp sites (all public), Avant can access, and several sites it cannot. Any rhyme or reason to this behavior?

This site prompted the log on window (from Avant): ftp://wuarchive.wustl.edu/

So my log on window is working for ftp (I wasn't sure). I noticed that Log on anonomously is an option at the bottom.

MS support: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/814473 states one cause could be Folder view for FTP sites is enabled in IE. However, when I uncheck this option in Internet options/Advanced I no longer can get ftp in Avant, and still no ftp in IE.