No Device Detected, Drive Not Showing Up

You guys have been a big help in the past, just a quick thanks.

Ok, now, same old computer, Gateway Select 1200, 1.2 20gig hd XP home, posted awhile back that of the 2 disc drives, E and D, (E being a CD re-writable, the "slave", D being a CD-DVD rom) that on boot up the E drives little led light would constantly flash and neither drive would show up in my Computer. Sometimes a single reboot would bring them back around, work perfectly, then it got to be no amount of booting would kick them back on. Changed the memory battery, no help, finally unplugged the E cd drive and D would now show up and work fine, playing cds, etc. Problem is now, even after unplugging it, shutting down, uninstalling it, reinstalling it, rebooting countless times, no matter what Ive tried, it still shows up in my computer, plays cds for WMP, but try to send a pic, document, song, to the drive to copy to cd and its "not there". WMP, if you try to burn a cd gives the message to "Connect a burner/player and insert CD" (this in WMP 11, WMP 10 just said no device detected). Besides doing a reformat, which I dont want to do until I back up a bunch of crap, Any Ideas? Sorry for the long winded post. Thanks in advance, Jim.

Just to add, when you click say on a music file, then send to, it will come up to send it to the A (floppy), or to mail, documents, desktop, but the cd drive is never listed.

Edited by HeavyJ

have you tried the bios

and get your drive recognised in there

is you see none besides the drives

then you either havent formated them

or you have the master and slave pin in

the wrong position

ime haveing the same trouble and already ive had a blue screen

in my case i think i have to make the cd rom the master slave

and the hdd

the master drive

hope so