For a long time, I have not been sure on what type of service to use for my email organization. I had one personal gmail account I have been using since it first came out(hitest gave me an invite). With this account I archive everything. With my email address, shane at http://brighteyedcomputer.com (the site needs updating bad), I have been using a small free account that came with Goddy webhosting. This account only has 10MBs. Since it was so small, I usually ended up deleting stuff I should have saved.

I decided to use gmail for everything. Google offers free mail hosting for your own domain. That means I can use the email address of shane at brighteyedcomputer.com with gmail. Gmail also allows me to forward all the mail from my personal gmail account and one other pop3 account I got from my cable provider. Now all of my mail is together in one place. It even labels the mail differently if it came from a different account. Since it is web based mail, I can check it from any computer with a web browser or with any smart phone with internet access. I have also been using google calander. I just better hope Google keeps doing a good job and I doesn't lose everything.

Very cool, shanenin:-) Yes, I too exclusively use gmail for my mail ISP for web mail and my stand-alone e-mail clients. I love IMAP, all e-mail is perfectly synchronized wherever you are, what ever machine you're using.

You mentioned in your video about using igoogle with the new domain. I was looking, but could not find that option. I would also like an option to use a notifier for new email as a firefox add on or an installed program. The ones I use seem to work only if you have an @gmail address.

edit added later//

Imagine that, I found it under the start link

• 1 month later...

I have been slowly using google docs when possible. It has been working out really well. I used to use a generic intake form when clients would drop off their computers. I would take info like: name, address, phone number, email address, passwords, problem/service needed, important data(for backing up). I would just fill in the blanks of the form using a pen. This was like my work order. It would stay with the computer, to keep things organized. If needed I could take notes on this sheet while servicing it. This has served me well for two years. In the beginning I manually typed this info into google contacts as a way to store and easily search all my data. I hated doing it, so it never got done. If I ever needed to look up some info from a client, I ended up paging through a big pile of unorganized old intake sheets.

I found a great solution. I just started doing this, but it is easy, so I see no reason it won't keep getting done. When a client drops off a computer, I use a google doc template and just fill in the info into directly into that doc. Then I just print it off. I now have the same intake sheet/work order as before, but now it is already saved in google docs. Since google indexes everything, I can search the docs by any information, in particular, phone numbers. Since this is all web based, I can access this info from any computer/smartphone, platform independent.

Is anyone worried about google having all your personal info, they now officially own Double Click. If you think about it they now have access to all your e-mails, your calendar dates, your documents, every search you did and just about everything you buy online. Now being able to set one double click tracking cookie they could shape future searches to weight advertisers.

I don't ever see google altering search results to help advertisers. If they did that it would ruin them.

They may alter the "sponsored results" listed around the edges of the page, but I also don't see them altering actual search results to help advertisers.

(However, I did get the result shown in attatchment when searching for "Good gas mileage car".)

I don't ever see google altering search results to help advertisers. If they did that it would ruin them.

No kidding. People already break out the pitchforks and torches every time Google tweaks PageRank. If there was even a hint that they were manipulating the results for nefarious purposes....

Yes, we all know Google is not evil and altering web search would be a dumb thing to do. But they are slowly creeping into everything we do.

You pretty much can't go anywhere on the web today without being touched by Google. They know every search you do, they have adds on many websites, they can do Desktop search, they show us how to drive somewhere, They host our videos, images, e-mails, calendars, documents, in seconds find every post you ever made online, they will even be the first page you will see when you open your browser and if you want they will change your toolbar to assimilate your browser. And now with Double Click they have tracking cookies on well over half the computers in the world.

I'm thinking about using Google to handle my domain's e-mail primarily because of the increased reliability. Currently, I have RoundCube setup as a graphical e-mail access frontend. Do you think that migrating to Google will cause any problems with RoundCube?

Don't overlook that with gmail you can configure it to check other accounts and download a copy of the mail there so that you have a backup / long term copy . Do that with your domain mail and configure it (the domain server) to delete things after seven days if you want .