Mapping A Drive In Vista

I do some consulting work for the local Track clubs and high schools setting up small 4 computer Ethernet networks and hardware and software interfaces for their timing systems..

I have a client that just updated his computers and they are all Vista OS laptops...one of the machines we set up as a "server" and we map a network drive on it to share data with the camera and the meet management software..

All my setups have been on XP machines and i'm quite adept at mapping the drive for our set-up...but i have very little exposure to vista...so my question is...are there any things i should know or might be different in vista..when mapping a drive..

i'm meeting with them tomorrow morning so any help would be appreciated...

thanks

wayne

right now, till the bugs are all worked out of vista, it would be a better idea to convert those PCs to XP. with the so called new security that was put into vista, and with it always asking if you want to do something. so if you can get ahold of a copy of XP and even more a corporate version, that would be the thing to do.

vista has its problems, and going to xp on those PCs would make it alot simpler, and give less headaches.

right now, till the bugs are all worked out of vista, it would be a better idea to convert those PCs to XP. with the so called new security that was put into vista, and with it always asking if you want to do something. so if you can get ahold of a copy of XP and even more a corporate version, that would be the thing to do.

vista has its problems, and going to xp on those PCs would make it alot simpler, and give less headaches.

well after spending all day trying to configure a simple wired Ethernet network and not having much success i'm inclined to agree..however the client is not about to do that so i'm stuck trying to muck thru it all again tomorrow..glad i get paid by the hour on this one..

the drive mapping was a piece of cake...it's the setting of permissions and the fact that the network wizard only tries to set up an internet connection..which i do not want to do..i'm having a hell of a time getting a simple file sharing network to work..good grief

wayne :wacko::blink:

Well i must say my first hands on experience with vista has convinced me to hang onto XP as long as i possible can..i spent another 4 hours today mucking through the file sharing morass that is Vista..while i understand the added "security" that they have built into the networking and file sharing protocols..the lack of clear and concise instructions and help...combined with a lot of misinformation and down right simply conflicting and vague stuff on the internet..makes the set-up a can of worms...for example one Microsoft article about setting permissions for file sharing goes into some detail on the subject for 2 pages...and then at the end of the article recommends you don't change the setting because you might get "...unintended results." !!!

in the end i also had to edit the registry to fix a "known" vista database sharing protocol issue which requires you to disable the SMB2 protocol..

bottom line is a job that would have normally taken me2...maybe three hours..took 9 on site hours over a two day period...client had a fit when the bill came up..so i had to discount a bit to keep him "happy"

the hard thing is i had set this club up 4 years ago on a 4 machine wired network on XP desktops and they ran over 40 meets with nary a hitch...i would just update the software and run some basic maintenance once a year before the track season started...but the president of the club just "had to have new vista laptops..!"

well at any rate i worked out all the kinks and they're good to go for another season...until another vista bug rears it's ugly head..LOL

thanks for the help folks...much appreciated..

wayne