Trouble With Downloading Itunes/msn Live Messenger/probably Others...

I hope this is the correct place to post this up. I tried a google search for similar problems and came upon this site, so I thought I would sign up and see if anyone can help.

Anyways, upon trying to download iTunes, and then MSN Live Messenger, almost all of the way through the installer, this pops up

An error occurred while attempting to create the directory:

C:\WINDOWS\installer\{571700F0-DB9D-4B3A-B03D-35A14BB5939F} (I believe I copied it down, I couldn't highlight the message to copy/paste)

I don't know if that was the exact same set of numbers and characters for the iTunes attempt.

Edit: Just noticed this: On the progress bar that shows how far along the installation is, it says "Publishing product information." Don't know if it helps or not, but I figured it would be best to include it anyways.

Does anybody have any help they can offer?

Edited by Tetrisfreak

You are running WinXP? Are you current on all of the updates including SP2? Is your version of Windows Installer updated to version 3.1? Are you using an administrative account or assigned a limited account?

Updated Windows Installer download

Windows Installer 3.1 Redistributable (v2)