How's Your Weather?

A few light rain showers this morning which cooled it down to the mid 80s, but the humidity nailed us hard. Looks like tomorrow may be in the upper 70s with lower humidity, Friday in the low 80s and the high heat and humidity is to return on Saturday. Two more days to go on gutting that house.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In the 80' and 90's with occasional light showers (IOW: Hot & Humid).

I woke up before Sunrise, threw open the blinds and opened the window, looked up at the stars in the sky, and ... heard rain. It was too dark to see the rain, but it was obviously raining. I looked back up to the sky and ... Yup, stars. Cocked my ear and ... Yup, rain.

Must've been ONE cloud DIRECTLY over my house.

The story of my life. <_<

Good thing about New England if you don't like the weather wait a minute it'll change.

They say something like that out here also, although it's more like: "If you don't like Phoenix weather, wait eight months and it might drop down to 102 degrees."

By the way, I LOVE New England weather. :thumbsup:

The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws. Tacitus

That got me thinking about a bunch of Robert Heinlein quotes .

When a place gets crowded enough to require ID's, social collapse is not far away.

It is a truism that almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.

Any government will work if authority and responsibility are equal and coordinate. This does not insure "good" government; it simply insures that it will work. But such governments are rare — most people want to run things but want no part of the blame. This used to be called the "backseat-driver syndrome."

No state has an inherent right to survive through conscript troops and, in the long run, no state ever has. Roman matrons used to say to their sons: "Come back with your shield, or on it." Later on, this custom declined. So did Rome.

The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws. Tacitus

That got me thinking about a bunch of Robert Heinlein quotes .

When a place gets crowded enough to require ID's, social collapse is not far away.

It is a truism that almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.

Any government will work if authority and responsibility are equal and coordinate. This does not insure "good" government; it simply insures that it will work. But such governments are rare — most people want to run things but want no part of the blame. This used to be called the "backseat-driver syndrome."

No state has an inherent right to survive through conscript troops and, in the long run, no state ever has. Roman matrons used to say to their sons: "Come back with your shield, or on it." Later on, this custom declined. So did Rome.

Cloudy in Texas, Pete ?... or maybe you thought this was the Whether thread... lol

Just kidding.

Yesterday was below 100º with more of the same forecast. Air quality still a concern with ozone and smoke... even for healthy groups.

The day before yesterday the porch thermometer hit *110º Fahrenheit with the air quality in the "Very unhealthy for all health groups" stage. (I found out that - that is what the stage after "Unhealthy for all health groups" is). *My thermometer might be off a bit on the high side, though, by a couple of degrees... I'm hoping.

Thought I heard on CNN that the 'La Niña' was dissipating toward a more normal marine state... yay.

Pete C: Thanks for the quotes from Heinlein. :thumbsup:

Back to the weather:

Back on Long Island, the forecast around this time of year was usually:Hazy, Hot, and Humid. I thought THAT was bad.

Out here it's : Miserable, Moldy, and Mind numbing.

Too hot to even think. 110 and humid today.

Pete C: Thanks for the quotes from Heinlein. :thumbsup:

Back to the weather:

Back on Long Island, the forecast around this time of year was usually:Hazy, Hot, and Humid. I thought THAT was bad.

Out here it's : Miserable, Moldy, and Mind numbing.

Too hot to even think. 110 and humid today.

Well that makes the 100 degree stretch we are in seem bearable.

Actually after dark it is pretty nice on the porch if there is a breeze; and in the mornings it is tolerable; but after mid day , even the dogs do not want to go out for any length of time. We have to fire up the third AC (Yes, I use window units not central, prefer to just cool what I want not the whole house) to keep things down below 78 ( with the third unit the whole house drops down quickly even in this heat). Next round I will probably buy those new Mitsubishi hybrid units, where you have a wall mount unit similar to a window unit and a base unit you can position wherever you want outside. Much more efficient than ductwork.

" Next round I will probably buy those new Mitsubishi hybrid units, where you have a wall mount unit similar to a window unit and a base unit you can position wherever you want outside. Much more efficient than ductwork."

I'd like to learn more about that.

It "cooled down" to 105 today. The humidity has subsided a little too. The house doesn't feel like a steam room too much anymore. Hope it dries out.

" Next round I will probably buy those new Mitsubishi hybrid units, where you have a wall mount unit similar to a window unit and a base unit you can position wherever you want outside. Much more efficient than ductwork."

I'd like to learn more about that.

It "cooled down" to 105 today. The humidity has subsided a little too. The house doesn't feel like a steam room too much anymore. Hope it dries out.

I think technically they are called split ductless HVAC units

http://www.mrslim.com/Products/Category.as...ctCategoryID=24

http://www.acdirect.com/xcart/product.php?productid=2363

They actually have two and three zone units where you can have one outdoor unit and several indoor ones

http://www.acdirect.com/ductless_cooling_heating_.php

http://www.globalindustrial.com/gcs/produc...oning-google_pr

Lists some specs on one model

7.2 Amps for 9000 BTU 13 SEER

And that is the 115 VAC model.

http://www.acsuperstore.com/Merchant2/merc...mp;Store_Code=1

Is a 14.1 SEER model 9000 BTU

Even LG offers a 13SEER model

This Old House installed a couple of them

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/asktoh/que...,192764,00.html

Least efficient one I found

http://www.acsuperstore.com/Merchant2/merc...y_Code=Featured

10.8 EER ,not sure how that converts to SEER but I think that since 14.1SEER converts to 11.2EER, it is probably about 13

Supposed to be 102 here today. Well only two months of summer left.

Edited by Pete_C

Unseasonably cooler today in the Sierra foothills here in Cali.

Overcast with a light breeze... low to mid-80º's... should chase the remainder of the smokey air and ozone out for a bit :)

... heating up starting tomarrow to prolly low to mid-90º's and a return to a normal weather pattern.

Hurricane in the gulf might give us a day or two of lower temps; but at what cost? The speculators will probably drive up the cost of Oil and Gas with fears that it could cause a shortage because they evacuated some rigs in the gulf.

One of my Sister-in-laws lives in McAllen, Texas ( 70 miles WNW inland from South Padre Island )

Looks like she'll get a bit wet from the hurricane to add to the monsoon precip they've had lately. Can't imagine she'll get much more than a drenching... hope not. [Turns out she lives near the levees (Rio Grande River)... we're a little more concerned now.]

Didn't even make 90º Fahrenheit out here. Had a nice light breeze most the day.

Edited by bobbynichols

The Weather Report (a little late) for Import Alliance 2008 at Nashville Super Speedway

Early in the day on the first day (Saturday July 26th). The Columbia/Spring Hill caravan started off with a temp of 78, cloudy and on the way we came across a few scattered sprinkles. Upon arriving and 45 minutes later finally getting in a getting parked, still cloudy and wet and relatively mild temps. The day progresses, the sun comes out, the track and infield where we were all parked dry up. Folks it's Middle Tennesse in summer at midday. IT WAS HOTTER THAN HADES!!!! Throw in the humidity from the rain and you have serious discomfort. But add on to it that it's all concrete/pavement so that makes it even hotter. But I'm not done. It's Import Alliance. There's 2500 cars there plus a bunch of cars racing on the track, cars running on the dyno, and just other cars moving around the lot making it even worse, not to mention the food grilling goin on. The high for that day may have been like 95 but I guarantee you, with all that there was, it felt like 105+. Plus I was an idiot wearing a black T-shirt and blue jeans with a not so cool feeling hat.

Day 2, Sunny all day with a few clouds. Sun is bearing down most of the day. Not as miserably hot but still hot. I finally figured out the press building was open and had A/C turned on so I went in and out of there to escape the sun (I was already sunburned from the first day) and to cool off. Still cars running on the track and people doing dyno runs making the heat worse but it was all good. I was dressed better this time in a light gray t-shirt and khaki shorts with my lighter, cooler work hat.

BTW, I'm burnt to a crisp. Especially my neck.

Moderately warm... upper 80º's (below normal season temps :) )

After the smoke from the Cali fires had finally mostly-like dissipated here - another fire was started by some dude near Yosemite shooting his gun and sparking still another major blaze in forest that hasn't burned in 100 years. 'spect the smoke from that fire to meander up this a'way tomorrow or next.

Note: The dude is not to be cited at this point for some obscure reason.

What kind of gun shoots enough "sparks," far enough, to ignite nearby brush? Sounds fishy. And I can see if what he was doing was perfectly legal that they wouldn't press any charges.

Perfect weather, warm & sunny, predictions of rain but I don't see how. Satellite images show stormy weather moving AWAY from the area, so unless the storms pull some weird, sudden, 180 degree turn, I think not.

I think this is the third day in a row that it will hit 105; and it looks like it will be above 100 every day for the next week at least.

Already have twice the "normal" number of triple digit days for the month and year; looks like a hot one like 1980.

I dread the electric bills we will have.

At least it is "dry heat" (the heat index was 102 when the temp was 105) , not that that really matters when it feels like you are in an oven and to stay hydrated you have to drink constantly . Of course it could be worse, it hit 110 in Witchita Falls Texas and that area.

Side note; on the news they said 11 of the last 12 days were over 100 by day and 80 by night.

They have six deaths in Dallas County suspected (4 of them confirmed) of being heat related. Two of those were kids (infants) whose parents forgot they had kids and left them in the car to roast. One was a couple , yep they both forgot they had a kid, and the other was the mother. How she can forget being pregnant for nine months and giving birth already when the kid is only eighteen months old is unfathomable.

Every time I get out of my truck I double check that I have not left anything inside which could tempt a thief, that I did not drop my cellphone, and that all the doors are locked. Pretty simple procedure to just look on all seats, circle the vehicle and check all doors before you park it or leave it.

Edited by Pete_C
... They have six deaths in Dallas County suspected (4 of them confirmed) of being heat related. Two of those were kids (infants) whose parents forgot they had kids and left them in the car to roast. One was a couple , yep they both forgot they had a kid, and the other was the mother. How she can forget being pregnant for nine months and giving birth already when the kid is only eighteen months old is unfathomable. ...

Man, it's practically unbelieveable that people are still leaving their kids in the car ... AT ALL ... , but especially when it's unbearably hot. Such a completely preventable tragedy.

On the other hand, people still drive stinkin' drunk, still speed, ignore stop signs and lights, don't wear seat belts, and on and on. Must be human nature to become accustomed to then forget about everyday dangers.

That hot weather's arriving here over the next few days with predictions of severe storms. Some went close by last night, 60+ mph winds did some damage, but nothing here, no rain, no winds, slept like a baby. So far the worst electric bill just tipped over $100, the next ones will be, err, interesting.

A long line of severe thunderstorms passed by just South of here. At work, it was raining, driving home, it was RAINING. Got home, no rain, dry as a bone. Look South and the sky was dark and often lit with lightening, look directly overhead and there were huge white clouds, look North and ... nothin' but Blue Skies. We could use the rain though.

Woke up this morning and the lawn and porch were all wet, must have been a popup shower last night.

Just enough to make sure that it was oppressively hot today , 102 with heat index of 110.

Looks like we are on our way to a "near" record run of 100 plus degree days as well as a higher than normal yearly count. That is what happens when we have a dry spring.

Discussing the weather in Phoenix in August is not recommended if you want to keep your sanity.

The brain dead local "meteorologists" ( I'm sure they all have degrees from some correspondence school in Paraguay) and the local print rag ( especially good for cat litter boxes) all mimic the chamber of commerce propaganda. " Well it sure has warmed up a bit lately, but by Sunday temperatures should be cooling down somehwat! It should be a great day to spend outdoors!" Translation: It was 115 degrees and humid today. Sunday's forecast is 111 degrees and humid. Let's all pack a picnic and spend a day at the park!

This is how I gauge the weather around here this time of year. ......I run the tap water from the cold faucet for a few minutes. Then I put my digital thermometer under the running water. I also double check with a mercury thermometer.

Here's the results from a few minutes ago. 92 degrees F. (and it's 3:30 AM)

Need I say more?

Edited by irregularjoe

Yikes. "Cold" water over ninety degrees? I HOPE your hot & cold lines are crossed!

They also make fun of L.A. weathermen: "Beautiful today." "Another beautiful day." " ... another beautiful day." "Does anybody actually listen any more?" :D

Here, "seasonable." Warm, Sunny, picture perfect. (Too warm FOR ME, but everybody else seems to like it.)