Connecting To Another Computer Information

As I have stated previously, I have just installed XP Home on my daughter-in-laws computer.

They have a web site they use for their business and it is up to me to maintain it. With both of them working and two small children their time is limited.

I am out of state and can only get up there about every 4 months and then I spend several hours updating and cleaning out their system.

They send me pictures to adjust and resize and install on the web site from here.

We both have XP Home. We both run the same programs. I am on Cable with a router and she is on DSL with a wireless router.

I know nothing about Remote Access so I have some questions.

1-Can I access and run her programs from here?

2-Does anyone need to be there if computer is on so I can access it?

3-Can I access her photo program to change pictures and install to her folders and then to web site?

4-What are the pro's and con's to using Remote Access?

5-Basically is it the same as me being there?

Sorry if these question's are silly, but just trying to gather information to explain to them.

As I said they don't have much time and that is all I have.

Thanks

it is as if you are sitting in front of her computer. You can do all of those things. It will be a bit laggy, since you are limited by your bandwidth. I would recommend Logmein free edition. It is very safe and works with a firewall and a router without opening any ports.

Thanks for replying shanenin.

Is there anything in particular I should know about installing Logmein?

Can you get access to the ISP that's hosting their website? There are some good FTP programs out there like SmartFTP you could use. You can download and upload the pages as needed and change everything there. Or copy their website files to your PC. Make the changes and then upload them.

That's what I do. I have my whole site loaded on my PC. I make any or all changes on my PC, and then upload it all at once. and you have no downtime or "Under Construction" pages.

Wait... Never mind.. I reread your post.. You want to know how to clean up their PC from your house...

Silly me.. Duh...

Edited by JSKY
Dumb...Dumb...Dumb...
As I have stated previously, I have just installed XP Home on my daughter-in-laws computer.

They have a web site they use for their business and it is up to me to maintain it. With both of them working and two small children their time is limited.

I am out of state and can only get up there about every 4 months and then I spend several hours updating and cleaning out their system.

They send me pictures to adjust and resize and install on the web site from here.

We both have XP Home. We both run the same programs. I am on Cable with a router and she is on DSL with a wireless router.

3-Can I access her photo program to change pictures and install to her folders and then to web site?

Sorry if these question's are silly, but just trying to gather information to explain to them.

Thanks

to number 5, its dangerous and will leave a big hole in the system open to any attack. if you are already clearing problems off of the computer, it can be compromised and get your system in trouble.

to fix that I use VPN software like, OpenVPN. many router have it already so it's easy. this will allow you to connect to their network securely, and not to just their computer, but entire network.

I suggest you use IPsec for encryption protocol, along with a strong password. if you have the option choose something like blowfish instead of DES3 (DES3 encryption can be cracked in under an hour) but its better than nothing, but if you do have to use it, change your key every 30 days.

if none of this makes sense then ask more questions, any one on the site would be glad to help.

but if you are going to take on administrating their PC, you need to learn the tools.

other good choices are VNC, ultra VNC http://www.uvnc.com/ is free and it can use AES encryption..

they have a good forum, but we could also answer questions.

also with this you do need to setup port forwarding on the router, but I don't like how longme "get" through the firewall. as I, in practice see this as a security issues, I believe ports should be dedicated to use, This way you can monitor it, and not have a pc broadcast its connections to a server.

nothing is fool proof, I just don't trust others to keep me safe..

also longmein states they are HIPAA complient (well they suggests with out saying it), but its right of the line that I would not approve it for corporate use.

Can you get access to the ISP that's hosting their website? There are some good FTP programs out there like SmartFTP you could use. You can download and upload the pages as needed and change everything there. Or copy their website files to your PC. Make the changes and then upload them.

That's what I do. I have my whole site loaded on my PC. I make any or all changes on my PC, and then upload it all at once. and you have no downtime or "Under Construction" pages.

Wait... Never mind.. I reread your post.. You want to know how to clean up their PC from your house...

Silly me.. Duh...

Yes, you are right about keeping their computer clean. Also I want to be able to keep my genealogy files up to date on their computer as a backup to mine.

The web site is real simple compared to others there in the same business. I believe simple is the best. I must be doing it right because we get a lot of compliments from the guests. I have all the login and passwords and can access it from here. Also when they have pictures to post and I am here I have to wait for them to e-mail me so I can work on them.

I just sent you a PM so you can see it.

Thanks

to number 5, its dangerous and will leave a big hole in the system open to any attack. if you are already clearing problems off of the computer, it can be compromised and get your system in trouble.

to fix that I use VPN software like, OpenVPN. many router have it already so it's easy. this will allow you to connect to their network securely, and not to just their computer, but entire network.

I suggest you use IPsec for encryption protocol, along with a strong password. if you have the option choose something like blowfish instead of DES3 (DES3 encryption can be cracked in under an hour) but its better than nothing, but if you do have to use it, change your key every 30 days.

if none of this makes sense then ask more questions, any one on the site would be glad to help.

but if you are going to take on administrating their PC, you need to learn the tools.

other good choices are VNC, ultra VNC http://www.uvnc.com/ is free and it can use AES encryption..

they have a good forum, but we could also answer questions.

also with this you do need to setup port forwarding on the router, but I don't like how longme "get" through the firewall. as I, in practice see this as a security issues, I believe ports should be dedicated to use, This way you can monitor it, and not have a pc broadcast its connections to a server.

nothing is fool proof, I just don't trust others to keep me safe..

also longmein states they are HIPAA complient (well they suggests with out saying it), but its right of the line that I would not approve it for corporate use.

Hmmmmmm, now it doesn't sound as simple as I first thought.

Thanks for the info.

My understanding is logemin works without port forwarding. That adds a layer of security that VNC does not. Since logmein is making all the connections for you, you are very safe(no holes in your router). I suppose the biggest risk would be if logmein its self would be compromised

My understanding is logemin works without port forwarding. That adds a layer of security that VNC does not. Since logmein is making all the connections for you, you are very safe(no holes in your router). I suppose the biggest risk would be if logmein its self would be compromised

This is one of my main concerns. Would I be opening up both of our computers to hackers or other problems?

Mainly all I'm interested in is updating and running their spyware and virus programs and working on their web site. At Christmas when I was installing XP Home I discovered that Firefox was last updated at .06 instead of .11. They just seem to not want to take the time to keep everything updated.

here is my impression

you may be better off creating scripts that will do what you want, but I don't know your level.

as for security

I do not like remote access controlled by others, and I think it leaves you open if that company is sold, or compromised or just has a rouge employee

doing port forward can be dangerous also

so the best thought is VPN, using openVPN is simple and creates a routing between both networks, and using shared key security you can make it almost impossible, not almost, to hack into it. then you can use XP's own remote desktop to access or use vnc with out worry.

in all cases you need to balance security with completing the job. I have found that a VPN solution answers all of these, but with years of experience, what is simple for me I have found is not at all simple for others..

good luck and keep asking questions, not matter what choice you make we will help.