Windows Service Pack 2 - Displaying Compiled Html Help File

I bought a retail copy of windows XP about 3 years ago, I installed it in a computer but of course is lacking service pack 2, is this the one? http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

I'd like to install it before I connect this computer to the web, so I want to know if I can download this file to my usb flash drive and then take it to the comp with the fresh install of WinXP and run it without any drawbacks, is there any different procedure I should follow?

Edited by intocomputing2

ok just finished installing windows service pack 2, next I connected the computer to my router with an ethernet cable, and the wizard for setting up a home network showed up, after fnishing with this (didn't turn on file or priter sharing) I thought I would be able to connect to the web, but for some reason I can't, what do I have to do in order to connect this comp with a fresh new install of XP to the internet?

Can you connect without the router?

If you can you might have to run the routers configuration wizard. Your old settings on the router might not reconize the new setup.

PS....

You said FRESH install. Did you load all the motherboard drivers? Is your ethernet built into the motherboard or a PCI card? Did you install the drivers for the PCI card?

PS....

You said FRESH install. Did you load all the motherboard drivers? Is your ethernet built into the motherboard or a PCI card? Did you install the drivers for the PCI card?

the ethernet port is built inside the comp, I can't install the drivers for the parts on the comp since I can't connect to the web, and I'm afraid I don't have the manual that came with this comp or his recovery disks, I was planning to make custom recovery disks once everything was done

Did he have a second disk that have the computers drivers on it that you can get?

You may have to use a friends computer to find and download the drivers you need.

At least the ethernet drivers to get your comp connected.

Did he have a second disk that have the computers drivers on it that you can get?

You may have to use a friends computer to find and download the drivers you need.

At least the ethernet drivers to get your comp connected.

I'm afraid I don't have the second disk where the computer drivers may be, but I have more than computer at home so I can download the drivers to one comp and then transfer it to the comp with the fresh install, this takes me me to other questions, how do I find out what drivers I need for this fresh install, and where do I get them? unfortunately I don't have the manuals of this computer with the fresh install, is there a chance that I can find out this data through some app that scans my computer? not sure, perhaps something like Berlac Advisor?

Edited by intocomputing2

JSKY, I had downloaded CPU-Z program to check for the specs before I saw your post, tell me is Sandra Standard a much better option? in any case I'm posting the results I got with the 6 tabs of CPU-Z:

Mainboard:

IBM

Chipset: i845D Rev 04

Southbridge: 82801DB (ICH4-M)

Bios: Version 1OET43WW(1.09)

Graphic Interface: Version AGP version 2.0

Edited by intocomputing2

I personally have never found a good windows based program that will tell the chipsets of the hardware I have. Most every program like belarc advisor only will tell you the hardware if you have the device installed. I have never tried Sandra, if it works let me know. That would be a great tool to use. I use the following method

I just installed SiSandra Lite (the others seem to be paid versions) I have to say it's much more explicit than CPU-Z, it has given me the serial number of the mainboard (that's the motherboard right? correct me if I'm wrong plz) and some info about chipsets: Chipset 1 Model and Logical/Chipset 1 Memory Banks, does anyone know which one of the two should I use to search for drivers?, it also mentioned that the Network Driver is not Enabled, how do you enable the network driver?

You may be going about this the hard way. Do you know the model of the computer, if so, that info can be used to find the correct driver from the computer manufacturer. The next easiest way would be to take the side of the computer off and read the model number off the motherboard. With that info, you can get the driver for the motherboard manufacturer. If you can get either of that information, post it here and I can help you find the driver.

Just out of curiosity....

What make and model number is you computer? We might get alot more info for you with this info.

Oops LOL... shanenin, you must have been typing the same time as I was....

Power_management

This explains Power Managment. If you have anything set up on your laptop thats requires it running. Then the driver might not install. Or it's one you might not need. You Don't have to install every driver listed. Just the ones you need. Windows XP install may have had the right drivers on the disk and installed then while loading the OS.

But I would get the networking driver. Sound drivers, graphic drivers and if you have a printer or scanner. Someting like that.

a detail I forgot to mention, when installing a driver I thought that I had to double click the driver I wanted to install first and then follow the directions on the Lenovo drivers page. However, once I double click it, the computer reboots and it skips the part where I have to type the comand lines in the DOS box and sometimes a step or two to finally leave me in the third step of the process, is it ok to install drivers in this way? or should I stop double clicking the icons of the drivers I want to install and instead use the comand line? thanks in advance for any relpy

Edited by intocomputing2

I just reloaded a r40 laptop. All the drivers used the same procedure. First double click on the driver package. This will extract them to a folder in the directory c:/drivers/win. For example your audio drivers will be extracted to a a directory called c:/drivers/win/audio. In that directory their is a file called setup.exe. You just need to run(click) that file.

I am not sure why that happened. I personally would not load that driver. Mainly look in the device manager and look for yellow. They indicate needed drivers. Other then those, they are probably not necessary. As Jsky mentioned, you mainly need the following: Ethernet, both wired and wireless, audio, video. Also make sure you install the chipset driver I mentioned previously.