Best advice is to check your modem properties and your com channel properties, and make sure the speeds set at the fastest limit. The default settings are at 9600, change them to 115200

For the modem, Go to your control panel. And you will see it listed in there. Just click on your modem and go to properties, it's on the "General" page.

For your com ports, go to "My Computer". R-Click and then "properties" In your "Windows Properties" Window. Open up the "Hardware" Tab. Then click on "Device Manager" And look for "Ports" Click on "Ports" and you should see Com1 and Com 2. Double click on each one and look for "Port Settings" you will see "Bits per second" Change these settings to from 9600 to 128000 if you have XP, or 115200 for 98 and Millennium.

OK, In the control panel, click on "Phone and Modem Options" Been awhile since I used 98, so you'll have to do a little searching here. Look for a tab that shows which modem your using (should say "Modems"). It will be displayed in a window. Highlight it and click on properties. On the "General tab you will find "Maximum Port Speed" Set this setting to 115200. Then go to the "Advanced" tab and look for "Advanced Port Settings" and set both the "Transmit" and "Receive" buffers to high or 14.

This opens up everything. Back in my dial-up days. these tweaks made a big improvement.

Hope this Helps. You can also Goggle for modem speed boosters, but I never really noticed any difference trying them.

Edited by JSKY

Yea, don't use any programs for internet boosters. NONE of them work :angry: Just a waste of your time and dsl trying to look for it. And changing the max speed doesn't help much if the remote computer that your connecting too has a set limit. I tried to do that on the same ISP. 3 different modems, 2 windows XP, and one Mac OS X

You probably already have the fastest available connection... Wouldn't hurt to try though!

I'm on a 5kbps dialup and im not complaining because yours is 128/5 times faster then mine or anything :rolleyes:

Goodluck anyway, you should try www.downloads.com if your looking for internet boosters, they got alot, they also have user ratings and what the people think about the program. If your looking for the best booster that has the most chance of working try searching there.. Nice site! I bet you already know aboout it though :)

OK. No arguments with me. I use cable now, But It was first suggested to me back in the old TTV days when I was still on Dialup, and it allways worked good for me. Never had any problems running different machines that way. But now I am going to do some checking. I have to be sure now that I'm not giving out wrong info. Thanks for the heads up on this one maxdog4.