I just got a everex laptop in my shop with Vista loaded on it. The crazy thing is the OS only has 384MBs of memory for the system to use. I assume it has a 512MB stick with 128MBs dedicated to the video card. My client asked me if their is anything that could be done to speed it up. This is a no brainer.

I agree. You can have the best processor in the world, but without enough memory your computer just sucks. I cringe when I see people running XP with 128MBs.

As to Vista, I ran my laptop with 1Gb actually 896Mbs(128Mbs is decidated to the video card), for about 6 months. It seemed a little slow, but not bad. I just recently upgraded it to 2 gbs. I am not sure if I see a big difference.

As to Vista, I ran my laptop with 1Gb actually 896Mbs(128Mbs is decidated to the video card), for about 6 months. It seemed a little slow, but not bad. I just recently upgraded it to 2 gbs. I am not sure if I see a big difference.

Yeah, you probably might only notice a difference if you were doing video editing or some other processor intensive tasks. Do you ever get to work on people's Linux work stations at your shop? I'm certain *nix users will benefit from your experience.

I'm happy to hear you're busy at your work site:-)

No I have not been able to work on any linux boxes, I have done a few OSX upgrades. As of today, I do not even own a linux system. I was short on money and computers, so I brought my linux workstation from my home to my office. I use Acronis, a windows program, to backup up client computers, so I had to install XP on it(my linux system). I really miss linux, someday I will run it again.

As to business, it has been great. I am paying my monthly bills of about $2500, and have been averaging about $1500/month left over as profit. This is the busy season for computers. Come April through August my sales will probably drop in half. Then I may start running in the RED. As fast as business is growing, that may not be the case. Lets hope.

No I have not been able to work on any linux boxes, I have done a few OSX upgrades. As of today, I do not even own a linux system. I was short on money and computers, so I brought my linux workstation from my home to my office. I use Acronis, a windows program, to backup up client computers, so I had to install XP on it(my linux system). I really miss linux, someday I will run it again.

As to business, it has been great. I am paying my monthly bills of about $2500, and have been averaging about $1500/month left over as profit. This is the busy season for computers. Come April through August my sales will probably drop in half. Then I may start running in the RED. As fast as business is growing, that may not be the case. Lets hope.

I like that idea of backing up client work stations, that would make for easy data recovery and re-installs, that is a solid use for your Linux box. Bummer that you can't run Linux for the time being; I hope in the future you can pick up a box for Gentoo again.

I've got three Linux boxes at home, but, they're ancient units (Pllls), they work okay. I bought all of my linux boxes second hand.

I haven't bought a brand new computer in over 11 years. I've been saving my pennies so that I can get a macbook for my daughter ( hopefully she'll let me use it too, lol). I'd love to get new, killer PC hardware for Linux, but, like you I've got lots of commitments and bills to pay.

I hope you continue to have a great business year, shanenin, and that you continue to turn a solid profit. Your attitude and work ethic will bring back your customers, I'm sure. :)

you could but most people don't want to pay the extra cost to upgrade to XP :-) It is about $100 for the license. With that said I have had three cleints that paid me to install XP on their Vista computers.

Shane,

Put together a maintenance agreement. Use a vnc type of software to remote in to the pc's, this way you can have a few jobs running. You can have multiple billable hours for one man hour.

Email me or PM me and I can go over some of the things we do. I would not want to cross the line for the board usage.

Mike

Shane,

Put together a maintenance agreement. Use a vnc type of software to remote in to the pc's, this way you can have a few jobs running. You can have multiple billable hours for one man hour.

Email me or PM me and I can go over some of the things we do. I would not want to cross the line for the board usage.

Mike

I have considered doing something like that. I am kind if curious to how you do things. i may email you. Thanks.

Congrats on your certification :-) By the way, what did it take to become a MCPrgb.gif

As to business, it has been great. I am paying my monthly bills of about $2500, and have been averaging about $1500/month left over as profit. This is the busy season for computers. Come April through August my sales will probably drop in half.

not bad at all shane! :thumbsup: if you don't mind, what exactly do you do? are you a freelance repair technician or something?

I started my computer service(repair) business about 2 years ago with a 1/6 page ad in "Yellow Book". This ad cost me $140/month. The first year I did it part time. The second year I expanded to two 1/2 page ads in both "Yellow Book" and "Dex" yellow pages. These two ads cost me about $1100/month. The ads paid for themselves with a little extra as profit. Towards the end of my second year(last august) in business I leased a location for in a business district. This was a big move. Prior to this, I ran the business from my home.

I still hardly feel like a professional, but by definition I am. After two years of doing this, I have got lots of experience. I am probably better at what I do then i give my self credit for. The first year and a half in business I was afraid to split a laptop. Now I am pretty confident in disassembly. But some laptops, like Sony Vaios still scare me. Lucky for my, most people can't afford them.

I know less then lots of people on the board, but I know more then most people(in the real world). So that is all I need to make it in this business :-)

A couple hours a night a few times a week and the company paid like $150 for me to site for the test.

I am workinng on MCDST, it is a 2 test cert. once you pass one test you are a MCP. To have the cert MCDST I need to pass the 2nd test. I used Specialized Solutions for training along with on hand experience.

As far as the maintenance agreement it will work out for those who you see more than once. I look forward to working with you on this. It can help when business gets slow.

M