Knoppix Live Dvd 5.1.1 Hangs With Toshiba Laptop

Me and my friend , we have downloaded knoppix DVD 5.1.1 on two different PCs (i.e. we have two different DVD copies, they have got right MD), and on two different times, he told DVD is working fine on his Desktop PC, but when I used these two DVD on my Toshiba Laptop Satellite A100-785, it hangs on :

Excuting /etc/init.d / x session start:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sarting single-X-window session for User knoppix.

Please stand by a few second while the optimal configuration is being determined

After this session terminates, the system will automatically shut down

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

probing/loading AGP modules---

If I hit enter the below prompt is presented "

root!tty1:/#

And when I typed in : startx,,,,The process of booting continues till the end.

Is this what suppose to be ?

I found similar thread here :

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/knoppix-h...t-problems.html

I suspect Knoppix is trying to load a screen resolution higher than what your laptop can handle. You can manually set your x windows configuration. I think you need to hit F3 when Knoppix is booting up or just finished booting up ( or maybe F2) which will give you a screen where you can manually enter your x windows settings.

I've done this myself once, it should work for you.

try typing this

knoppix screen=800x600

at the boot prompt.

also if its an Intel video chipset, there "open source" drive comes with a binary non open source core, that limits the resolution to what is programed in the card, meaning low resolutions. this is hard to fix on a live cd

see http://roland-lopez.blogspot.com/2007/03/a...lution-fix.html

why did Intel do it this way.. well they suck.. but really they probaly assumed that normal users would not use Linux and that only people who are system builders and understand Linux would be the only ones to see this issues, as people like dell and such would program all the correct resolutions for your laptop.

good luck

also if its an Intel video chipset, there "open source" drive comes with a binary non open source core, that limits the resolution to what is programed in the card, meaning low resolutions.

That's fixed in the current driver, if I'm not mistaken.

why did Intel do it this way.. well they suck.. but really they probaly assumed that normal users would not use Linux and that only people who are system builders and understand Linux would be the only ones to see this issues, as people like dell and such would program all the correct resolutions for your laptop.

Not sure about the Linux driver, but the Windows driver is supposed to supplement the BIOS table with the modes in the monitor EDID. In theory, that's the right way to do things.

I think you need to hit F3 when Knoppix is booting up or just finished booting up ( or maybe F2) which will give you a screen where you can manually enter your x windows settings.

Both 2 and F3 work, F3 for more options.

knoppix screen=800x600

This did not solve the issue.

I think you need to hit F3 when Knoppix is booting up or just finished booting up ( or maybe F2) which will give you a screen where you can manually enter your x windows settings.

Both 2 and F3 work, F3 for more options.

knoppix screen=800x600

This did not solve the issue.

In the more options section you're going to need to experiment a bit. If you know the specs for your monitor and video card you can take a best guess as to what setting will work. I needed to mess around a bit to find a setting that worked for me.

Good luck:-)

Now the OP just needs to remaster the DVD ;)

That's the meta-problem here. If the problem isn't the boot flags, I don't think there's much that can be done. X isn't too hard to fix if you can fiddle with xorg.conf, but in this case that would mean... what? Stashing the file on the Windows partition and then copying over at every boot? Manually reconfiguring X on every boot?

Anyway, back OT, the problem could also be agpgart or the chipset AGP module.

root!tty1:/# dmesg | grep -i agp
root!tty1:/# lsmod | grep -i agp

before starting X should tell you if the modules are loading. (I hope someone here knows how this works on PCIe chipsets, 'cause I don't have a clue :))

Edited by jcl