Advice On New Mac

I've decided to get a Mac for my next computer, but I'm torn as to which one to get. I'm deciding between an iMac and a Macbook Pro. The iMac has better specs, but I'm not sure I want that huge monitor sitting on my desk (I plan to use a dual monitor system later and will purchase a 30"). It's also cheaper than the Macbook Pro. However, I like the portability of the Macbook Pro. It's just so much more expensive for lesser components. I configured a Macbook Pro and, at that price, I could just get a Mac Pro desktop system. So, this decision has been ongoing for a couple of months and I still haven't made up my mind. Anyone have any opinions?

BTW, I'll be using it mostly for video stuff. Hooking up my DV camera and transferring movies as well as editing and playing back videos.

Get one of each... just kidding. Macworld starts in two weeks go with the one gets the update then you'll feel you got the latest greatest.

As you can tell I'm not going to be much help my plan for the last year and a half was to upgrade from my 12" powerbook to a macbook, some how I ended up with a Aluminum iMac (loving it). I do think either computer will get the job done with no complaints. If you are planning on a second display then the Macbook Pro may get the advantage of being both a portable and a desktop.

Wait for macworld for whatever you decide, my guess is some modest upgrades to the Macbook Pro.

Cool. Thanks for the advice. I will be sure to wait until after MacWorld. I have a feeling I'll decide on something then somehow get something else too. Either way, I can't wait...new toy! :)

Get one of each... just kidding. Macworld starts in two weeks go with the one gets the update then you'll feel you got the latest greatest.

As you can tell I'm not going to be much help my plan for the last year and a half was to upgrade from my 12" powerbook to a macbook, some how I ended up with a Aluminum iMac (loving it). I do think either computer will get the job done with no complaints. If you are planning on a second display then the Macbook Pro may get the advantage of being both a portable and a desktop.

Wait for macworld for whatever you decide, my guess is some modest upgrades to the Macbook Pro.

I think that first you'll have to decide whether you want true portability with a laptop or if you want a beast of a machine that will sit at home.

If you can live with no portability you should get the Mac Pro IMO just because of the ease of upgradeability however the iMac is also a great machine.

Decide what you'll primarily be using the computer for because that will make it easier to make a decision.