Ubuntu Killing My Hd?

I have Ubuntu on my HP laptop and was wondering if I need to be concerned about this article

https://launchpad.net/bug59695.html

Yes and here is a possible fix, from a post on /.---Thanks to asphaltjesus at /. for this one

When switching to battery power, /etc/acpi/power.sh issues the command hdparm -B 1 to all block devices. This leads to extremely frequent load cycles. For example, my new thinkpad has already done well over 7000 load cycles -- in only 100 hours. That's at least one unloading per minute. Googling for "load unload cycles notebook OR laptop" shows that most laptop drives handle up to 600,000 such cycles. As these values clearly show, this issue is of high importance and should be fixed sooner rather than later.

The command hdparm -b 255 turn off completely APM.

Here is how I permanently fixed it:

1) make a file named "99-hdd-spin-fix.sh". The important thing is starting with "99".

2) make sure the file contains the following 2 lines (fix it if you have PATA HDD):

#!/bin/sh

hdparm -B 255 /dev/sda

3) copy this file to 3 locations: /etc/acpi/suspend.d/ /etc/acpi/resume.d/ /etc/acpi/start.d/

Voila! After that the HDD never spins down on power (looks like it actually spins down on battery at modest rate).

Sorry if the instruction is too detailed, no offense.

An alternative to the "99-hdd-spin-fix.sh" fix is to install and enable the package laptop-mode-tools,

then customize /etc/laptop-mode/laptop-mode.conf, setting

Edited by jslong17

just on battery.

and it is an issue on all OS with specific hard drives (Ie Windows..) . not just Ubuntu, as these are the default setting from the hard drive manufacture.

Edited by iccaros