Acer Aspire 5000 Lcd Repair

I thought I would post some content today. This may help somebody. I got a job repairing a dim lcd on an Acer Aspire 5000. This is one job I hate to take. A dim screen can be caused by multiple things, to name a few: bad mother board, bad power inverter, bad LCD panel(contains the bulb), bad video cable, among others. The crappy part is none of these parts can be tested(in practice). Most people are not happy with spending money if it does not fix the problem :-) I don't feel comfortable charging people if I am not able to fix it.

I told my client we could try a new power inverter, this is probably the highest probability of her screen failure(the part is relatively inexpensive). I told her, If that did not fix it, I would only charge her for the part. The part came today and I installed it, the screen still did not fire up. I decided to take it apart again and maybe see if I missed anything. After getting it 90% back reinstalled, I noticed something. The button that gets depressed when the screen is closed was stuck inside. I popped it out and presto, the screen lit up :-)

Now I learned something valuable, check to see if the button is stuck in the down position before ordering parts and disassembling the screen(twice).

Ha! That's funny. Just keep the part as a spare. Charge her a small fee stupidity fee :P . My laptop now doesn't even have a button, at least one I can see. It appears the switch is in the hinge or something. it still works exactly like my old one. My friends Dell however doesn't have a button but the operation of the screen dimmer is really weird and delayed while mine is instantaneous.

As to her fee, I will be honest and tell her the real reason it failed, but she is still getting charged the price I quoted her for the inverter replacement. Most of the price of the job was for labor, and that was actually higher then planned, since I took it apart twice.

You got me thinking about that button. On my inspiron 1501 I can't see it. I dug a little for it, it is under the right hinge cover.

I had a Gateway laptop I sent back several times for a bulb failure before I (not them) noticed the "lid closed" switch was the problem.

And thanks to Murphy's law, that was just after the warranty was up, but I did manage to get them to pay for that switch replacement based on the repair history.

As mentioned earlier, check the BIOS as well.

Many BIOSs have an "On Battery" setting that will dim the display (sometimes to very dark).

I thought I would post some content today. This may help somebody. I got a job repairing a dim lcd on an Acer Aspire 5000. This is one job I hate to take. A dim screen can be caused by multiple things, to name a few: bad mother board, bad power inverter, bad LCD panel(contains the bulb), bad video cable, among others. The crappy part is none of these parts can be tested(in practice). Most people are not happy with spending money if it does not fix the problem :-) I don't feel comfortable charging people if I am not able to fix it.

I told my client we could try a new power inverter, this is probably the highest probability of her screen failure(the part is relatively inexpensive). I told her, If that did not fix it, I would only charge her for the part. The part came today and I installed it, the screen still did not fire up. I decided to take it apart again and maybe see if I missed anything. After getting it 90% back reinstalled, I noticed something. The button that gets depressed when the screen is closed was stuck inside. I popped it out and presto, the screen lit up :-)

Now I learned something valuable, check to see if the button is stuck in the down position before ordering parts and disassembling the screen(twice).

Interesting story.

I just looked at my trusty old Inspiron 8200 and don't see a button/ switch. There is an obvious hook and latch, but that doesn't seem to activate any switch. I wonder if it's in the hinge?

shanenin, I'm curious. How are you able to just not charge for parts if they don't fix the problem? Do you keep them?

In my electrical biz I didn't charge for unnecessary parts either, but unlike your industry I could just return them to Home Depot type places. I don't think that works for computer parts.

I think you misread it. I told her I would have to STILL CHARGE for the part. Your correct, it can be a big pain to return stuff. Most of my laptop parts are ordered on ebay, and I won't even try and return them unless I know the are bad.

I think you misread it. I told her I would have to STILL CHARGE for the part. Your correct, it can be a big pain to return stuff. Most of my laptop parts are ordered on ebay, and I won't even try and return them unless I know the are bad.

Yep. Your right. I did misread it. :wacko:

Time for the eye doctor.

This is exactly what we need, someone finding the obscure pain and exposing it for all to learn from. Thanks Shane, I work on laptops often. I have come across dim screens. Unfortunately they were back light issues. Both laptops are now slim desktops, as they were for home use. This is one of those to file for future reference.

Mike

• 1 month later...
This is exactly what we need, someone finding the obscure pain and exposing it for all to learn from. Thanks Shane, I work on laptops often. I have come across dim screens. Unfortunately they were back light issues. Both laptops are now slim desktops, as they were for home use. This is one of those to file for future reference.

Mike

I'll say... I just spent 2 hours stripping and assembling this exact model trying to fix the problem on my sisters laptop...

I had just told her that it was either the inverter or the panel it'self and googled to see which was the most often problem... first link I clicked on was here, I jumped up and prodded the switch with a precision screwdriver and it came alive!

I just registered for the sole purpose of saying thank you soo much!

• 1 month later...