20 years ago as a high school kid I figured out how to get my Apple IIE to plot a graph on the screen with basic that measured the voltage that a small light sensor produced. I have since been interested in data acquisition but have never gotten back to it. I am overwhelmed with the terminology and information available nowadays. What is the simplest way to connect my pc (hardware) with a water pressure sensor and write a program to monitor it visually. Should I use excel? Visual basic? Java? If I purchase a mac what is available from them? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

20 years ago it was easier to do a Do It Yourself (DIY) project like that.

I'm guessing you took the output from the photosensor, ran it to an amplifier, then into an Analog to Digital (A/D) converter which you sampled periodically (with the software you wrote) via the AppleIIE's parallel port.

Does that sound familiar? And I haven't seen a parallel port in ages, have you?

The hard part in your project will be to find a sensor that will send data to (I'm guessing) a USB port and should come with a software driver to interface it (and manage logging data for you).

One the data log is available, it's your choice as to how you want to display/chart/graph it.

Excel would seem to be the best choice for experimenting with the output formats.

I agree with CurlingSteve it seems like a very simple thing to do as long as you have the hardware. And no need to buy a mac my guess is once it's written this type of thing could be done on pretty much anything even a smart phone.

this project is simple.

you can use a basic stamp mac software for it http://www.muratnkonar.com/otherstuff/macbs2/

or just the microchip pic processor http://www.mactech.com/articles/mactech/Vo...ller/index.html

in either case you have the "processor" send its output to a file, I would save it as csv

then its up to you, but you could use excel at lest to graph it from a csv file or use nay other programing language to graph the output..

I say easy because use pic processors all the time , but hopefully I gave you enough information to get started.

ps this is written with the mind set that you want to do it your self, not just buy one.