Honestly, no matter what *anyone* ever tells/told you:

Just short of a specific custom low-power build, most PCs will require 500watts or more- KEEPING IN MIND you *never* want to run a power supply at anywhere near maximum capacity!

And if you have case fans... you better add at least 25 watts for every fan to be safe.

And if you are running dual video cards, you better have *AT LEAST* a 750watt to be safe.

Personally, I won't use less than 500watts on *anything*; if the machine isn't a 'basic' build, I'll put a 750watt in it or a 1500watt depending on build.

Those numbers are a little high. A high quality 200 watt psu will run just about any OEM computer on the market. A basic build needing a 750 watt psu is just plain overkill.

if you re-read, you'll see I said a 750 for something *not* basic.

I am greatly enjoying this discussion! I've been under the impression that most 'standard' computers would require a 500watt psu just to have some 'cushion'...

Could it be I have no experience with "quality"? Could be....

Then again... I'm here to be helped as much as to help! :)

What is a 'quality' power supply? Can you link me with technical info on how large a power supply should be if running certain hardware?

I figured it like this:

100watts- CPU (I realize some cpus are 65watts)

100watts- 4 drives (I figured if I ever used everything at once....)

100watts- motherboard (motherboard has ram, fan?, and components that bleed heat... heat=wattage)

100watts- fans (overkill, but you never know...)

100watts- other components/'cushion'

500watts total for a basic system. 400watts min, but I like 'cushion' so I increase to 500watts.

750watts for SLI... have seen advertisements stating certain 500watts are SLI-ready, but most start at 750watts.

1500Watts for QUAD SLI and DUAL DUAL CORE 64Bit AMDs. Not a typo- 2 dual core cpus.

I understand I am overguessing a bit in some areas... but I believe a psu shouldn't be run near max...

Suggestions on sizes of psu please.

The 200 watt is low, but most pcs come with onboard video, one cdrom and one hardrive. I just did a power supply replacement on a dell with a p4. The supply I removed was rated at 180 watts. I agree it is better to have extra power. I guess my thought is it is better to get a good brand power supply rated at 350 watts, then a 700 watt cheaper brand.

OK here are two errors that I am getting. I am getting a PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA and BAD_POOL_HEADER. I am getting this when I hit enter in the DOS setup of WinXP.

The 200 watt is low, but most pcs come with onboard video, one cdrom and one hardrive. I just did a power supply replacement on a dell with a p4. The supply I removed was rated at 180 watts. I agree it is better to have extra power. I guess my thought is it is better to get a good brand power supply rated at 350 watts, then a 700 watt cheaper brand.

Also, I took the 512MB RAM stick out and guess what, WinXP installs just fine. So I am thinking the 512MB might be the bad thing. I am going to run more tests to check things out. So don't hold out hope here.

OK here are two errors that I am getting. I am getting a PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA and BAD_POOL_HEADER. I am getting this when I hit enter in the DOS setup of WinXP.

well that may be the problem the ram

may not be compatable to your mobo

i had a similiar problem with win64 bit

as it was installing i was getting errors and cant find files

i had 2 512 ram sticks

when i rang the company and complained about the bad ram

the dealer said take out one of the sticks

your mobo isnt compatable to that much ram

so i did that and the instalation went ok

luckly they bought that other stick of ram back from me

at a lower price of course.

so that maybe the problem

did you try to boot in safe mode

marty

Page fault could be the memory. The continued beeping in your first post tells me memory. Not all memory are equal.

DId you by chance just put in one of these memory sticks?

And this is for BenR as well as you. http://www.firingsquad.com/guides/power_supply/

Edited by lefty1953

Aluvus' site contains great information on power supplies.

http://www.10stripe.com/featured/psu/rate.php

Calculate minimum power supply. I would add 20% and buy a recommended power supply brand from Aluvus's list.

http://www.journeysystems.com/?powercalc

if you re-read, you'll see I said a 750 for something *not* basic.

I am greatly enjoying this discussion! I've been under the impression that most 'standard' computers would require a 500watt psu just to have some 'cushion'...

Could it be I have no experience with "quality"? Could be....

Then again... I'm here to be helped as much as to help! :)

What is a 'quality' power supply? Can you link me with technical info on how large a power supply should be if running certain hardware?

I figured it like this:

100watts- CPU (I realize some cpus are 65watts)

100watts- 4 drives (I figured if I ever used everything at once....)

100watts- motherboard (motherboard has ram, fan?, and components that bleed heat... heat=wattage)

100watts- fans (overkill, but you never know...)

100watts- other components/'cushion'

500watts total for a basic system. 400watts min, but I like 'cushion' so I increase to 500watts.

750watts for SLI... have seen advertisements stating certain 500watts are SLI-ready, but most start at 750watts.

1500Watts for QUAD SLI and DUAL DUAL CORE 64Bit AMDs. Not a typo- 2 dual core cpus.

I understand I am overguessing a bit in some areas... but I believe a psu shouldn't be run near max...

Suggestions on sizes of psu please.

OK I think the bad memory, Centon, is going to be pitched or held onto to test further to see if it works more or less. I want to test things here to see if the kingston is also bad and if so y all of them went bad. I think things like this is unreal to have it all go bad like that.

OK I think the bad memory, Centon, is going to be pitched or held onto to test further to see if it works more or less. I want to test things here to see if the kingston is also bad and if so y all of them went bad. I think things like this is unreal to have it all go bad like that.

Is the Pc working now? Or have you tried running it with just the Kingston?

Is the PC working now, NO! It is DOA. I mean it turns on but that is all it does. I think the MOBO is shot. I mean it does not even boot no more. I mean I see the HD light flicker now and then but that is it. I wish I would have known this sooner. I hope my drive that is in there is ok. I want to save the PC but a new MOBO is not cheap for a socket A AMD 2800 XP+ CPU. I think I will just sell it on Ebay or something along with the ram and stuff since I have no use for DDR memory.

Is the Pc working now? Or have you tried running it with just the Kingston?

OK, not working but activitiy from HDD. Do you still get the same errors or a blank screen? Does the PC beep at all and what type of beeps do you get? If only one beep when you turn it on and the HDD is flashing, there is a chance your Monitor or graphics card is at fault. Do you get any text on the screen when booting, or is it just a black screen? Double check the Graphics card is tight or reseated and that the monitor cable is plugged in tight. Use just one memory chip and try again.

no errors. I get a blank screen. No beeps unless I move the memory around and then I get them. I mean this thing is going bonkers. I have not even moved the video card since I put things into this case almost a year ago or more. I mean I get nothing to show on the screen at all.

OK, not working but activitiy from HDD. Do you still get the same errors or a blank screen? Does the PC beep at all and what type of beeps do you get? If only one beep when you turn it on and the HDD is flashing, there is a chance your Monitor or graphics card is at fault. Do you get any text on the screen when booting, or is it just a black screen? Double check the Graphics card is tight or reseated and that the monitor cable is plugged in tight. Use just one memory chip and try again.

Have you tried clearing the CMOS battery? Or just pull it out and then put it back in. There is a jumper next to the battery and if you place the jumper on the opposite 2 pins for a few seconds and then put it back it clears the CMOS. MAke sure you put the memory in the first slot and try it after clearing the CMOS.

Well I will try clearing the CMOS. Not holding out much hope here. I will see what happens. If it works great, if not the board is toast.

Have you tried clearing the CMOS battery? Or just pull it out and then put it back in. There is a jumper next to the battery and if you place the jumper on the opposite 2 pins for a few seconds and then put it back it clears the CMOS. MAke sure you put the memory in the first slot and try it after clearing the CMOS.

Tried to clear the CMOS, no dice. It still does not work. I think the Motherboard is DOA. Not surprising but hey it was fun while it lasted. Now to find a cheap Socket A mobo to replace it but good luck from what I hear.

Well I will try clearing the CMOS. Not holding out much hope here. I will see what happens. If it works great, if not the board is toast.

Steer clear of the ECS, PC Chips, SOYO and other less known brands. I have had ggod luck with the MSI, Epox, Asus, Gigabyte and Shuttle Socket A motherboards. My Epox 8-KHA+ is still running strong after 6 years of abuse.

431 items found in: Socket A Motherboard

Well if you see something like on Tiger Direct or Newegg.com let me know. I mean I would like to keep what I got and put it back into service but if that is not going to happen then the parts go up for sale.

Steer clear of the ECS, PC Chips, SOYO and other less known brands. I have had ggod luck with the MSI, Epox, Asus, Gigabyte and Shuttle Socket A motherboards. My Epox 8-KHA+ is still running strong after 6 years of abuse.

431 items found in: Socket A Motherboard

I know and that is what is bothering me. Well looks like eBay for this stuff.
i have not seen a socket A mother board on either of those sites for well over 2 months. It is not looking good

I bought my Socket A Epox 9-KHA+ with an AMD XP 2400+, Creative sound card and Linksys NIC in a all in one deal for under $100, 5 years ago on ebay. Knock on wood it still runs fine.

Well I am going to start listing things here soon. I just wish I did not have to dump this ram and stuff since it is still fairly good stuff. Dam.

I know and that is what is bothering me. Well looks like eBay for this stuff.
i have not seen a socket A mother board on either of those sites for well over 2 months. It is not looking good

I bought my Socket A Epox 9-KHA+ with an AMD XP 2400+, Creative sound card and Linksys NIC in a all in one deal for under $100, 5 years ago on ebay. Knock on wood it still runs fine.