By Now You're Aware Of My Obsession ...

• 1 year later...

Back in the early 80's maybe even the late 70's I use to watch a PBS show hosted by guy named David Stringer. At the end of the show he would make a lamp out of strange items.

Well after reading this topic it reminded me of the show. So I did some googleing and http://www.davidstringer.ca/shows.htm I love the internet.

Found on digg recently... more lamps (some may be duplicates of earlier posts):

40-of-the-most-creative-lamp-designs-ever

I saw many of those and drooled, but thought I'd spare ya all my obsession. ;)

Some are new to me though!

-----

It all started back when I had my first job, lived in a studio apartment, and saw ... IT. A floor lamp that resembled a miniature building crane in chromed steel. Hot-diggity. I was too cheap to buy it then and have always wished I hadn't been (though I imagine cleaning it would have worn out its welcome -- chrome bars and wires, dust, wear, ugh).

My only fancy-schmacy lamp is one of the first of the new-wave in consumer torchieres that I bought maybe thirty years ago; a black three-way touch-sensitive base with a hand-blown opalescent glass shade that has a schmear of cobalt blue glass. I couldn't say how many people over the years who've seen it and were inspired to buy a torchiere, or how many different ones I bought as gifts.

Many years ago I worked for a company that made ultra high end lamps made of brass and copper with stained glass shades. Actually we were called artisans they even made us sign our lamps. My coworkers and I once made a lamp with one of every part in our parts bin. After a year or so of building and rebuilding we had 18 lights 9 switches and it looked a little like a tree. I think I may have pictures.

• 3 weeks later...