I was thinking of buying a laptop soon and was wondering if prices would come down during September, for school... I was thinking about getting a 15 inch but is a 17 inch better? I believe the prices are about the same.

I would like to get a duel core or core 2 duo (almost the same thing) running at 2 GHz approx. 1 GB or RAM I can upgrade that myself...also if I were to ask the sales person would they know what speed the RAM is? THX in advance

As far as researching the speed of the Ram, once you find a couple prospects, would Crucial.com tell you the Ram's speed? I'd trust Crucial more than a salesrep...

Oh, and if you want to stick with XP, check Dell's site--there's about a half dozen laptops that they offer a choice between Vista and XP. If I remember right, use the search function at Dell.com and type in XP and a list will come up.

Liz

Edited by blim

well mainly for school... I will carry it to school most days and work on it at home as well nothing too fancy maybe some virtual PC related operations and so on it doesn't matter 15" or 17" I just want to get some feedback from the pros...also with Intel releasing their santa rosa chip sets will the price for the existing core duos come down significantly in the fall?

I think one of the most important parts of a laptop is the battery life. I would recommend getting a core duo(x2 turion would even be better) , then use the money saved on a better battery. I currently get about 6 hours of battery life with my new Dell, its great