Ok, This has been a problem for a while. And has only gotten worse. My computer would randomly cut off but it seems like it hibernates. but it used to stay on for 30 minutes or so then cut off. Now I can't even reboot the computer. It will stay for a maximum of 30 seconds. I have tried to boot from a linux CD to see if it is Windows related or hardware. It still cut off. So I am assuming its hardware. Anyone think other wise and if it is hardware would it be the power supply? I know its a semi new power supply though.

The two most probable things would be the power supply or the motherboard. If you can, I would try swapping the supply(even though it is fairly new) out. Take a look at the motherboard, in particular, the capacitors around the cpu. It would not surprise me if they are bulged and leaking. It does not sound like a heat issue, but make sure the dust in blown out and your cpu fan is turning.

Edited by shanenin
The two most probable things would be the power supply or the motherboard. If you can, I would try swapping the supply(even though it is fairly new) out. Take a look at the motherboard, in particular, the capacitors around the cpu. It would not surprise me if they are bulged and leaking. It does not sound like a heat issue, but make sure the dust in blown out and your cpu fan is turning.

I could probably switch out the power supply I have the exact same computer in a different room. And as far as the the mother board I will dust it and look at the capacitors. If it was the motherboard would I have to get a new one? and Could it be anything with memory?

As to the memory, with computers ANYTHING is possible. I don't think I have seem memory cause a computer to just shutdown in the way you described. It would be a good idea to rule it out. I would take a known good stick out of your other computer and try it in each slot. If you are still having problems you can rule the memory out.

As to the memory, with computers ANYTHING is possible. I don't think I have seem memory cause a computer to just shutdown in the way you described. It would be a good idea to rule it out. I would take a known good stick out of your other computer and try it in each slot. If you are still having problems you can rule the memory out.

Alright. I'll go with the power supply first and then Motherboard and memory next. I hope its as easy as power supply. As for the mother board would that be an easy fix or no?

if it is the motherboard, you would need to replace it(not fixable). You can get one, depending on what you cpu is, for about $50 new. If you use a motherboard other then a near exact match of the one you are using now, you will also need to reload windows.

if it is the motherboard, you would need to replace it(not fixable). You can get one, depending on what you cpu is, for about $50 new. If you use a motherboard other then a near exact match of the one you are using now, you will also need to reload windows.

Alright. Hopefully I can figure this out. I am switching out the power supplies now. I have a feeling its the motherboard. When it goes into its random hibernate/cutoff the motherboard fan does stop spinning but the power supply fan keeps spinning. Ill keep you updated.

--EDIT--

I just switched power supplies and it stayed on for longer than usual and I was of course excited but I ran right back to the same problem.

Edited by iamjfarrell

Bulged capacitors are just one thing I like to look for, but in themselves not conclusive. I have a machine that is running windows ME perfectly, yet it has many caps that are bulged and have leaked, dried electrolyte fluid on top. Since you have ruled out the power supply, I can say with about 90% certainty the motherboard is bad.

What is the model of your computer?

Bulged capacitors are just one thing I like to look for, but in themselves not conclusive. I have a machine that is running windows ME perfectly, yet it has many caps that are bulged and have leaked, dried electrolyte fluid on top. Since you have ruled out the power supply, I can say with about 90% certainty the motherboard is bad.

What is the model of your computer?

I have an HP Pavilion 700.

--Edit--

The System Number is: P8627A. I found a motherboard from Circuit City and they want like $470.

http://circuitcity.partsearch.com/GetModel...627A&page=2

Edited by iamjfarrell

I think that uses a pentium 4 northwood core proc 400mhz. I think this board is what you need. As of today it is out of stock. Your recovery cds will not work with this board. If you installed this board, you would need to get your hands on a generic XP Home OEM cd, then use that along with the key on the side you your computer to reinstall.

If by some chance that board uses a pentium 4 willilamette core, it will not work with that board.

I think that uses a pentium 4 northwood core proc 400mhz. I think this board is what you need. As of today it is out of stock. Your recovery cds will not work with this board. If you installed this board, you would need to get your hands on a generic XP Home OEM cd, then use that along with the key on the side you your computer to reinstall.

If by some chance that board uses a pentium 4 willilamette core, it will not work with that board.

What about linux? I want to use linux. I have a Boot Cd for it. If I purchase your recommend board could I plug and play?

The board is pretty much plug and play. It will probably default to the lowest FSB, which in your case is what you want. Linux would run great on that system :-)

Alright. That's what I'm looking for. I am going to order it as soon as I can. I'll probably check some local stores around here with what you showed me in the mean time. Thanks for all your help. I'll let you know if I need anything else.

good luck. You may run into a few hiccups installing it, but it is to be expected. It is worth the effort. After you have finished you will feel good about what you accomplished. You may want to get a second opinion on the board I recommended. I am pretty certain that is what you need, but I may have made a mistake.

Edited by shanenin

incompatable ram sticks

will do it

i had one that was doing the same

so i changed the ram sticks

and it made the difference

also hard ware drivers if corrupted will shut it off

in particular the video drivers

go to the device manager

and right click your display device

uninstall the driver

then reboot your compt

and see what happens

there are many things can cause this problem

and many are hardware related

i have a cd rom and a cdwr

and i connected it the wrong way

on the ide ribbon

connecting the master and the slave the wrong way

and it did the same as yours

so your motherboard may not be the problem

you need to sort these out so it dosent cost you so much money

good luck

marty

Their are both 2.0 williamette and northwood Pentium 4s. One way to make certain you are correct is to look at the processor. It will have a part number on it. Then compare the part number to the ones on This list of Pentium 4s

When I goto the HP site. They list the proc as "P4N 2.0 GHz/400". I would bet the "N" refers to Northwood.

Edited by shanenin