• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I gave a couple away to our Men (and Woman) over seas in the gulf. They really enjoy gmail for the reason as being over there and only having limited time at the back lines to get e-mails from family and friends, That yahoo and hotmail,etc. run out of space real fast when everyone is sending pictures and long e-mails. with gmail they can get alot of mail and pictures.

Also gmail is good for storing files and other things on, you can archive things and use it as a personal library if you want.

And another 1000 from me Great thing to do.

JD

Well, I gave a couple away to our Men (and Woman) over seas in the gulf. They really enjoy gmail for the reason as being over there and only having limited time at the back lines to get e-mails from family and friends, That yahoo and hotmail,etc. run out of space real fast when everyone is sending pictures and long e-mails. with gmail they can get alot of mail and pictures.

Also gmail is good for storing files and other things on, you can archive things and use it as a personal library if you want.

That's a fantastic idea. Is there a place where you can find service men and women who are looking for them? I would happily the ones I have towards such a cause. That's a great idea.

I can't figure out why some people get invites out the yang and some don't. I have gotten one the whole time I have had Gmail........Hahahahahaha.....must do it by lottery or something and if that's the case I will never have another one.....

Actually, il_wiccan, I think it has more to do with how much you use it. I talk with a few of my friends several times a day on it - almost like a chat back and forth which is handy cause it logs it like a conversation. But, whenever I go through my 6 invites they give me, I almost always have another 6 within 24 hours. I've had 12 given to me so far.

im not privy to this g-mail.i know on c.f.h there was quite a big discussion.on it lots foe it and lots against it.my Q is what is the difference between it and any other email appli.

being invited to join does that put it in the exclusive range.that being invited is an old trick to make you feel wanted.

i agree with cow about advertisment.come on whats wrong with hot mail.outlook.pegusses.outlookexpress.ect you dont have to be invited to join them and they do the same sort of work.

not sure i agree with this ad thing.it just puts bestteche under more pressure

weather to accept these posts or not and right now we dont need that on the board.

marty

Marty -

I know what you mean about the old invite trick to make people feel "wanted", but I don't think that's what Google is doing here... Well, I think they are in a way because they want the beta to be a somewhat-exclusive thing. But, I don't think that's the only reason it's being done.

Gmail is a legit email service, provided by Google. You've heard of them on CFH, yes. And probably also on TSS. They were mentioned very affectionately on both programs as being the "next step" in webmail, and I fully agree with that assessment. Gmail is "the new hotness". They have some functionality features that will make Yahoo and Hotmail scramble to get on board eventually.

They want testers for it, and want a good amount of testers, but they don't want the number they'd get if they opened it up for open enrollment like Yahoo or Hotmail...so that's why they're allowing current members (once they've gotten several emails under their belts) to invite friends. Or, in the TSS and Tech Support boards at G4's cases, total strangers. :P But, it spreads the wealth without opening the floodgates.

Just my thoughts on it...

handplane:

Thank you VERY MUCH...I appreciate the link a lot. It's not much that I'm doing here by donating these, but it makes me feel that maybe someone over there will be a little bit happier by getting more letters, pictures and videos from back home. Whoever came up with this idea should be praised. I would much rather give my invitations to a cause like this than the 15 year olds on G4TTV...

Hi,

At the risk of being accused of being a spammer here goes.  I have 1 Gmail invite to give out if you want one; it's free.  You can PM me your name and e-mail address or reply to this post.

hitest

(Besttechie member runs for cover fearing a flame thrower attack :D )

No need to run for cover hitest? I have absolutely no problem with anyone giving out Gmail accounts.

Personally I think what hitest and JSKY are doing is an extremely nice thing to do! :) Nobody is forcing anyone to accept a Gmail account. For the folks that have a problem with it, don't accept one and just read something else. It's not hurting anyone in anyway as far as I can see.

I've had a Gmail account since the very beginning and have had no problems what so ever.

I think that's a great idea as well. I, too would like to know where I can do such a thing.

Here's a site to donate Gmail.

I just went to that site you provided. What a fantastic way to support the brave men and women in the armed forces. I'm donating my Gmail invites to this cause.

Just read this post, Glad to see you all found the same link I used to donate your invites.

Makes me glad to see the poeple on this board aren't seflish, And don't try -----"Dumb Things", to get people to beg for them. (ie. Find it on my website, tell me why you should have one, and so on).

I'm proud of you all!!

Three cheers to you all!

Just read this post, Glad to see you all found the same link I used to donate your invites.

Makes me glad to see the poeple on this board aren't seflish, And don't try -----"Dumb Things", to get people to beg for them. (ie. Find it on my website, tell me why you should have one, and so on).

I'm proud of you all!!

Three cheers to you all!

Yep everyone here seems to just enjoy and want to help others. Points for everyone! :D

(opens a bag of points and starts handing them out)

Yes I know the points are worthless but it's still fun. :P

Hi,

At the risk of being accused of being a spammer here goes.  I have 1 Gmail invite to give out if you want one; it's free.  You can PM me your name and e-mail address or reply to this post.

hitest

(Besttechie member runs for cover fearing a flame thrower attack :D )

No need to run for cover hitest? I have absolutely no problem with anyone giving out Gmail accounts.

Personally I think what hitest and JSKY are doing is an extremely nice thing to do! :) Nobody is forcing anyone to accept a Gmail account. For the folks that have a problem with it, don't accept one and just read something else. It's not hurting anyone in anyway as far as I can see.

I've had a Gmail account since the very beginning and have had no problems what so ever.

I soo totally agree. I think that the G4 boards got so flooded by Gmail stuff that we sometimes get annoyed by it.

No worries hitest and chinawht. Everyone here seems very friendly and if worse comes to worse as a big guy I make for good cover. ;)

macmarauder,Sep 3 2004, 02:24 AM  Glad to see ya again. Looking lovely green as ever.  :D

Hi Mac,

Hello my nighttime friend! Yes I thought I'd stay in a "green state of mind" for now ;)

I see your still up? Me too? :rolleyes: What can ya do, you either sleep or you don't.

Good to hear from you! I've missed your wit! :D

macmarauder,Sep 3 2004, 02:24 AM  Glad to see ya again. Looking lovely green as ever.  :D

Hi Mac,

Hello my nighttime friend! Yes I thought I'd stay in a "green state of mind" for now ;)

I see your still up? Me too? :rolleyes: What can ya do, you either sleep or you don't.

wit! Where! Get it off get it off! Ohhh you meant wit. :o

Sorry I had a nightmare about being chased by the Thread Monster through the forum and I'm a little jumpy. :D

Hi Mac,

wit! Where! Get it off get it off! Ohhh you meant wit. :o

Sorry I had a nightmare about being chased by the Thread Monster through the forum and I'm a little jumpy. :D

Good moning macmarauder, chinawht. TGIF! I've had lots of coffee so I've been able to jump start my brain a bit.